How to remove the front grill on a Marshall cab?

guitarbilly74

• Members

This may sound funny, but baking soda will give the super glue amazing bonding power. If you can get to the back of the holes (or drill them through so you will have access), put the logo in place and sprinkle baking soda into the gap around the screw holes, then squirt thin super glue into the baking soda, it'll probably take a sledge hammer and a crowbar to remove the thing. I'm not kidding - this stuff is like welding things in place.

Ah yes... thats also the old trick for building up shallow string slots on a nut.

• Members

This may sound funny, but baking soda will give the super glue amazing bonding power. If you can get to the back of the holes (or drill them through so you will have access), put the logo in place and sprinkle baking soda into the gap around the screw holes, then squirt thin super glue into the baking soda, it'll probably take a sledge hammer and a crowbar to remove the thing. I'm not kidding - this stuff is like welding things in place.

baking soda? really??

• Members

Let me tell you a story: (And not a CSB :lol:)

Back in the late 80's, the other guitarist i was playing in a band with bought a 2210 head with matching 4x12 slant cab.

He already had an older Marshall basket weave grey front straight front cab from the early 70's.

He hated the mis-matched color look beteen the 2-cabs, so he sized up and bought a piece of metal mesh from the hardware store very similar to the Mesa 80's era cab fronts.

I helped him to remove the Front grill, and that cab was built like a tank.

The front weave/grill was wrapped from the front of the baffle around to the back of the baffle and stappled to the back side.

The baffle was in "Super tight" (not glued or nailed, just a super tight wood to wood)

We had to lay the cab on it's back and kick really hard on the baffle front (while trying not to kick the speakers), to get the baffle out the back of the cab.

We had cut the front screen off with a carpet knife because it was just too strong a material and too well stappled.

Slammed baffle back in and mounted the new metal mesh grill.

One "Now Vintage" Marshall cab destroyed, but the cabs now matched better :lol:

Archived