Center block on a 4x12

guitarbilly74

• Members

So I was looking at this picture:

CelestionMFspkrs.jpg

And I noticed my MF cab does not have that center piece. I don't know if it was removed or the MF280 is different (the above pic is the MF400).

Anyway, what's the purpose of having that piece in the middle? I guess it would be easy enough to add one, if it makes a difference.

• Members

My understanding is that it mainly functions as a brace for the back. Sometimes they are removed because the back of the cab can vibrate against the brace when playing. I have 2 cabs that were built without them. The guy who built them said he always removed that brace from his old Marshall's because of the issue he had with vibration.

• Members

for ultimate stiffness you can even screw the back panel into the bracer.. I actually had to do that on my Mesa Recto cab because it would vibrate and I could hear it.

and yeah ^^ I prefer screwing through the back panel instead of removing the bracer

• Members

My understanding is that it mainly functions as a brace for the back. Sometimes they are removed because the back of the cab can vibrate against the brace when playing. I have 2 cabs that were built without them. The guy who built them said he always removed that brace from his old Marshall's because of the issue he had with vibration.

Interesting. That makes total sense.

Well, I don't have a problem with the back not being stable enough, so I will just leave as is.

• Members

for ultimate stiffness you can even screw the back panel into the bracer.. I actually had to do that on my Mesa Recto cab because it would vibrate and I could hear it.

and yeah ^^ I prefer screwing through the back panel instead of removing the bracer

Yeah, I'm just thinking "ultimate stiffness" is not one of the guitarbilly's 99 problems.

• Members

My MF280B has the brace. Im not sure if the angled MF cabs have them or not. Ive only been inside the B cabs. (cant see your pic. cant tell what it is)

You can solve the vibration / rattle with a thin piece of foam or rubber stapled or glued to the rear baffle where the brace goes up against it. Mine has a piece of an inner tube stapled to it. Problem solved

While your inside it, make sure the front baffle screws are actually tight. Ive found that alot of Marshall cabs from the past 20 years have loose baffle screws.

• Members

My MF280B has the brace. Im not sure if the angled MF cabs have them or not. Ive only been inside the B cabs. (cant see your pic. cant tell what it is)

You can solve the vibration / rattle with a thin piece of foam or rubber stapled or glued to the rear baffle where the brace goes up against it. Mine has a piece of an inner tube stapled to it. Problem solved

While your inside it, make sure the front baffle screws are actually tight. Ive found that alot of Marshall cabs from the past 20 years have loose baffle screws.

I don't have the vibration issue, since I don't have the brace. And yeah I checked the front baffle screws the first time I opened it. Some of them were loose indeed.

• Members

well I was thinking about it but from what I'm reading here, I guess I can just leave it alone
:idk:

My Orange 4x12 didnt have a center brace & sounded fine. I wouldnt worry about it. Hell..my MF cab only has 2 speakers (the top 2 holes are blocked off) and its sounds thicker & heavier than my other "tall" 4x12. Whatever works..

• Members

My Orange 4x12 didnt have a center brace & sounded fine. I wouldnt worry about it. Hell..my
MF cab only has 2 speakers
(the top 2 holes are blocked off) and its sounds thicker & heavier than my other "tall" 4x12. Whatever works..

Funny you mentioned, because I was thinking of doing the exact same thing but in a "" pattern. Have you tried to do that?

• Members

Funny you mentioned, because I was thinking of doing the exact same thing but in a "" pattern. Have you tried to do that?

I havent tried it yet, but thought about doing it.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot. In the lawn & garden section, they have these things that look like giant drink coasters. They're cork on one side, and some kind of wood on the other. They make a size thats perfect for blocking off a speaker hole. Just mark the screw holes w a sharpie & drill the holes for the screws & wa-la. I ended up painting mine black so you couldnt tell they were in there.

The 2 Eminence Delta LF's in the already oversize cab sound MASSIVE.

Im eventually gonna put another jack in the back & another pair of 12's, so I can run 2 heads into one cabinet.

• Members

i can't believe you guys still lug 412s around, they are so heavy. i just bought a 212 but even that is a little too heavy, maybe i should get a 112??

Im a bigger guy, so it doesnt bother me. Plus I drive a full size truck (insert dick size jokes) so no probs with moving 'em.

Im old school. I just like a half stack (or 2)

Archived