Center block on a 4x12

guitarbilly74

• Members

I havent tried it yet, but thought about doing it.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot. In the lawn & garden section, they have these things that look like giant drink coasters. They're cork on one side, and some kind of wood on the other. They make a size thats perfect for blocking off a speaker hole. Just mark the screw holes w a sharpie & drill the holes for the screws & wa-la. I ended up painting mine black so you couldnt tell they were in there.

The 2 Eminence Delta LF's in the already oversize cab sound MASSIVE.

Im eventually gonna put another jack in the back & another pair of 12's, so I can run 2 heads into one cabinet.

I have a pair of celestion AVTs that I will probably install just to cover the holes. They're very light weight too.

My main goal is to change the impedance of the cab back to 4ohms because my Randall REALLY works better at 4ohms. Buying the Texas Heats at 8ohms was a bad move, I should have gotten the 16ohms.

• Members

the way my brain logic works suggests it's for stabilization / stiffness of the back panel, making the sound tighter / less "loose"

This.

I literally just added one to my buddy's cab. :lol:

• Members

One thing is the front and rear frequencies are of opposite polarity. So with sufficient coupling, the center block will have a tendency to couple the front and rear panels helping to cancel the panel vibrations or dampen the panel resonance. This possibly dampens unfriendly resonances.

• Members

I took them out of my cabs. When they are getting loaded in and out of a trailer day after day , they get to be a pain in the ass. I cant tell you how many times my cab would be rattling and I pull the back and that damn thing is laying in the bottom of the cab or hanging there by a thread. I cant tell any tone difference whatsoever in the tone without them

• Members

It depends on what you eq for and how loud you get. When you need the brootz then the brace helps to tighten up the bottom a bit. Often it is screwed directly to the back and problem solved. If you are worried it will fall off in transport even more reason for one extra screw! Why spend time and $$$$ for equipment and then not maintain it?

Archived