Well since Zent isn't around.....new AxeFX firmware! No profiling?

Valtiel

• Members

I feel we're a bit overdue for a {censored}storm. :lol:

I'll give Cliff a hand, he did A LOT in the latest update, only a small chunk listed below. Still no sign of any Kemper-like behavior though. :cop:

tl;dr version: Its even more real-er this time! :wave::idea:

Reworked power amp modeling based on new research. The power amp modeling has been totally rewritten based on

• Members

this forum is in desperate need of an "i don't give a {censored}" smiley or meme

Also an "i'm an amp builder therefore I am more than a little biased" one, might be a bit tricky though.

Also.......biased......get it? :facepalm:

• Members

i used a version of the "biased" joke at work today. :lol:

ultimately, this forum is full of tube amp snobs. there are a few that are into the modeling thing, but they get their updates from sources that cater to that. the rest of us really don't care. :idk:

/speaking for the forum at large

• Members

Also an "i'm an amp builder therefore I am more than a little biased" one, might be a bit tricky though.

Also.......biased......get it?
:facepalm:

When digital modeling becomes the norm & all of the tube maps disappear like the dinosaurs...

What the {censored} will the maps modelers model?

• Members

Instead of offering the Amp Profiling feature into the Axe (Which while POSSIBLE, the interface is NOT designed to accommodate such a thing) he "matched" them himself and put them in this firmware...

Not a bad idea, even though most people are going to have to completely re-work their patches since there are likely some pretty significant tone changes.

• Members

There's a tone matching feature that is included in this release which is what all the hype has been around. Instead of 'profiling' like the KPA does this uses a new effect block that will allow you to take an isolated guitar track and play along with it and it will match the tone. It can also be used with an actual amp as in this demo: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=12945526&postcount=69 to a similar effect as the KPA. The big difference between the AxeFXII and the KPA here is that it is still using modeling and not just profiling so things like the cabinet and all the adjustments on the amp can still be made just like they are now inside of the unit. My biggest issue with the KPA is that it creates a single shot of one specific setting of an amp and uses static adjustments for changing things on it. The 'tonestack' isn't like a traditional amp. The cab is baked into the profile and doesn't separate very well. You can get it to clean up, but it doesn't react like the drive knob on the real amp (could be better or worse in some cases).

There are some other clips and stuff floating around on the FAS forums that demonstrated some of the tone matching to recorded clips. I believe that one of them was Limelight and it was pretty damn close, especially considering its a triple tracked cut and the guy was using a strat.

The reworking of the amp models were to tighten up the tolerances and differences in the parameters to reflect what the actual amp does more realistically. Basically to get the tone knobs and stuff closer to the actual amps.

Here are the actual release notes:

Axe-Fx II Firmware Release Notes

************************************************** *****************************

NOTE: THIS FIRMWARE MAY CHANGE THE SOUND OF EXISTING PRESETS. YOU SHOULD AUDITION ALL YOUR PRESETS AFTER INSTALLATION AND CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION AND TONE. AN AMP MODEL CAN BE RESET BY TEMPORARILY CHANGING THE AMP TYPE AND THEN CHANGING BACK TO THE DESIRED TYPE. THIS WILL LOAD THE MODEL WITH DEFAULT PARAMETERS.

Reworked power amp modeling based on new research. The power amp modeling has been totally rewritten based on

• Members
When digital modeling becomes the norm & all of the tube maps disappear like the dinosaurs...

What the {censored} will the maps modelers model?

When that happens, there will be nothing to compare them to so people will get on with the business of actually making music worth listening to. ;)

• Members

Does Kempaz only profiles the amp settings once u try to tweak the EQ it gets jack up?

Whereas Snax II tries to model actual amp circuit n' stuff?

It's not that, "once u try to tweak the EQ it gets jack up"

It's just that the eq does not exactly copy the function of the profiled amp.

(in other words you tweak the profile by ear and not by the numbers on the tone controls.)

Archived