HSS Squier strat project - DONE (w pics) Loop, get in here!!!!

guitarbilly74

• Members

Oh {censored}ing {censored}!!!!! :love::love::love::love: Awesome. I so want a Strat with Rails in the neck and middle position. Humbuck in the bridge. No offense but get a better neck than the Squire. Other than that, Wow.

• Members

aherm, not true.

Still, my head would be asploding looking at that conflicting hardware.

yeah it's kinda bothering me too, if it was on a guitar I use all the time, I'd change immediately, but honestly I am not much of a strat player, I just wanted one to play occasionally. This will probably be my beater/backup guitar. I still want to change the tuners to chrome eventually, but I will do it if/when I come across a good deal on a set of locking tuners. No big deal. :)

• Members

Oh {censored}ing {censored}!!!!!
:love:
:love: Awesome. I so want a Strat with Rails in the neck and middle position. Humbuck in the bridge. No offense but get a better neck than the Squire. Other than that, Wow.

The neck is actually fine, the issue was more the original nut and set up, but once I fixed that, it plays really well.

The body is a bit thinner than a standard strat, but it resonates well and the guitar is pretty loud acoustically. I am surprised with the quality of the body/neck for the price I paid. I mean, $60 is pedal money. Cheap pedal money to be exact.

• Members

God damnit how does it {censored}ing play?!

Lol exactly.. 15 posts in before we hear it plays as good as any guitar out there...? I'm not buying it... ;):cop:

For $60 and parts I will say it looks much better than expected.. And I'm sure it plays and sounds ok.. But its a bullet strat! Lol...

Just busting yer balls a touch... Looks like it would be a fun guitar

to swing over yer head with your pants down.:lol:

• Members

So Loop's thread inspired me to build a HSS using a cheap Squier and the parts I already had at home. I just finished working on it and I have to say I am very happy with the results. The base guitar is a hardtail Squier Bullet I picked up for $60.

Parts used were:

Mighty Mite pre-wired HSS pickguard

Schaller straplock-compatible strap buttons

LSR rolling nut

Ibanez hardtail bridge and back plate

Gotoh Kulson-style Magnum locking tuners.

I got too excited and forgot to take "before" pictures
:lol:
but you all know what a Squier Bullet looks like
:)

So here are some pictures of the finished product:

Body with new pickguard and bridge:

body.jpg

The Squier bridge is top-loaded so I had to drill the holes for the Ibanez bridge, that was the hardest part, but thankfully the bridge uses a backplate instead of ferrules so that made the job a bit easier:

back.jpg

Added locking tuners (they're gold but whatever, it's what I had)

head.jpg

headback.jpg

and finally, removed the Squier logo and added LSR nut:

headnologo.jpg

Pic of the whole guitar:

stratdone.jpg

:)

Sweet ! Love the color !

• Members

Looks great. Can't wait to hear more about pickups.

I tried it with the band this afternoon. These pickups are great. The bridge HB will do one thing only, and that's tight high-gain but it does REALLY well. Big low end, good mids and it still keeps the "cut" of a strat.

The rails also sounded good for the mellower stuff, kinda stratty but still with a bit of HB fatness. I didn't hear any of those nasty overtones that cheap pickups seem to have, they sounded really solid. No excessive feedback either, just the normal for a high gain pickup. I have no intentions of changing them and I am probably going to start to use them on other projects as well, definitely a good set of pickups, one of my new favorites for passives, actually.

Archived