HSS Squier strat project - DONE (w pics) Loop, get in here!!!!

guitarbilly74

• Members

So Loop's thread inspired me to build a HSS using a cheap Squier and the parts I already had at home. I just finished working on it and I have to say I am very happy with the results. The base guitar is a hardtail Squier Bullet I picked up for $60.

Parts used were:

Mighty Mite pre-wired HSS pickguard

Schaller straplock-compatible strap buttons

LSR rolling nut

Ibanez hardtail bridge and back plate

Gotoh Kulson-style Magnum locking tuners.

I got too excited and forgot to take "before" pictures :lol: but you all know what a Squier Bullet looks like :)

So here are some pictures of the finished product:

Body with new pickguard and bridge:

body.jpg

The Squier bridge is top-loaded so I had to drill the holes for the Ibanez bridge, that was the hardest part, but thankfully the bridge uses a backplate instead of ferrules so that made the job a bit easier:

back.jpg

Added locking tuners (they're gold but whatever, it's what I had)

head.jpg

headback.jpg

and finally, removed the Squier logo and added LSR nut:

headnologo.jpg

Pic of the whole guitar:

stratdone.jpg

:)

• Members

Nice job man. How did you line up the wholes for the strings?

I used the pickguard as a guide to line up the bridge and marked where the holes would go using a small screwdriver through the bridge string holes to make small indentations in the wood so I'd know where to drill.

• Members

see below

yes

I used the pickguard as a guide to line up the bridge and marked where the holes would go using a small screwdriver through the bridge string holes to make small indentations in the wood so I'd know where to drill.

Look at the big brain on billy, that's a nice simple and practical solution bro. :thu:

Also, damn I hate seeing my misspellings in quotes. :facepalm:

• Members

Looks cool Billy. Get some gold saddles for the bridge and it'll match the tuners, haha.

W.

:lol: I have some chrome tuners but they're not locking tuners. Locking tuners make life SO much easier I am willing to sacrifice a bit on the looks. Besides, the whole thing cost me only $60 so I can't be too picky. It even came with a Fender hardcase!! The case alone is worth what I paid for it.

• Members

So how did you install the nut? is there any intonation issues? I know the rollers where the string contacts the nut is a little bit back when compared to the strings contacting the forward edge of a regular nut. that distance will throw your guitar way out if you didn't compensate that change in distance.

• Members

So how did you install the nut? is there any intonation issues? I know the rollers where the string contacts the nut is a little bit back when compared to the strings contacting the forward edge of a regular nut. that distance will throw your guitar way out if you didn't compensate that change in distance.

The main issue when installing the nut was the fact that the groove was too deep for the LSR nut so I had to add wood shims under it, but besides that, it was pretty easy.

The rollers are bit far back but there grooves right at the edge of the nut that the strings will go through so they reach the fretboard at the same spot they would with a regular nut and they will intonate just fine. I had to adjust the intonation after I finished assembling the guitar, which is normal procedure whenever you assemble any guitar, but once I got it dialed it, it's cool :)

• Members

The main issue when installing the nut was the fact that the groove was too deep for the LSR nut so I had to add wood shims under it, but besides that, it was pretty easy.

The rollers are bit far back but there grooves right at the edge of the nut that the strings will go through so they reach the fretboard at the same spot they would with a regular nut and they will intonate just fine. I had to adjust the intonation after I finished assembling the guitar, which is normal procedure whenever you assemble any guitar, but once I got it dialed it, it's cool
:)

God damnit how does it {censored}ing play?!

• Members

God damnit how does it {censored}ing play?!

Stock, the playability was ok, but after the hardware upgrade and set up, it plays as good as any other guitar out there. The neck is a little on the thin side, but not uncomfortable to play. The fretboard is flatter than a regular strat fretboard (12" radius, I think). Fret work is good too, no rough edges and perfectly polished.

The Mighty Mite pickups seem to be really good too, really fat and chunky but I am waiting until I can play the guitar at full volume with the band to pass judgement. Some of those nasty overtones that most cheap pickups seem to have are hard to hear at bedroom volume, but it sounds promising so far.

• Members

Stock, the playability was ok, but after the hardware upgrade and set up, it plays as good as any other guitar out there. The neck is a little on the thin side, but not uncomfortable to play. The fretboard is flatter than a regular strat fretboard (12" radius, I think). Fret work is good too, no rough edges and perfectly polished.

The Mighty Mite pickups seem to be really good too, really fat and chunky but I am waiting until I can play the guitar at full volume with the band to pass judgement. Some of those nasty overtones that most cheap pickups seem to have are hard to hear at bedroom volume, but it sounds promising so far.

which bucker is that one?

• Members

which bucker is that one?

Might Mite Motherbucker. Hottest pickup I've ever heard in my life. It measures at 21.5k (yes, you read it right: twenty-one point five kay :eek:) and makes my EMG 81 sound like a 50's pickup :lol:. But if it sounds good at high volume, it will be a killer pickup for leads, no boost needed - ever lol

• Members

Might Mite Motherbucker. Hottest pickup I've ever heard in my life. It measures at 21.5k (yes, you read it right: twenty-one point five kay
:eek:
) and makes my EMG 81 sound like a 50's pickup
:lol:
. But if it sounds good at high volume, it will be a killer pickup for leads, no boost needed - ever lol

I used to run one of those in my flying V.. I really loved for an agressive tone!! :love: I could do the pinch harmonics better then zakk :facepalm:

Archived