Input #2 on Fender Amps

Mikoo69

• Members

I always ran my guitar through input 1 on my fender deluxe reverb (original 1965). my strat is a bit too bright through it, and last night I experimented through input #2 instead, turned up the volume 2 notches, and that harsh brightness was gone.

Anyone run through input #2 on fender amps here? Would love to know more about input #2 and the difference.

Also, I run my DR with an Orange AD30 simultaneously. Input #2 seemed to blend better with the orange. Does input #2 flip the phase or something, or am I just noticing a better EQ blend?

• Members

I always ran my guitar through input 1 on my fender deluxe reverb (original 1965). my strat is a bit too bright through it, and last night I experimented through input #2 instead, turned up the volume 2 notches, and that harsh brightness was gone.

Anyone run through input #2 on fender amps here? Would love to know more about input #2 and the difference.

Also, I run my DR with an Orange AD30 simultaneously. Input #2 seemed to blend better with the orange. Does input #2 flip the phase or something, or am I just noticing a better EQ blend?

Try using the tone knobs on your strat. If you roll back a bit, it will take some of that bright edge off, but when you need it to cut through in a band setting you can roll back up and it's still there.

• Members

Isn't one just high input, the other low?

No.

In a generic (tube) Fender input circuit...

Fender_input.jpeg

With Low (impedance) input, one 68K resistor acts as grid stopper, simultanously forming a voltage divider with the other 68K resistor. This means 6dB of attenuation, and around 136Kohm input impedance loading the pickup. This somewhat lowish impedance will reduce high end response that the resonant pickup circuit can feed to the amp input. In addition the RC filter formed by the grid stopper resistor and grid capacitance will cut it even further. The 68K-68K voltage divider attenuates the input signal to about half of that fed by the guitar.

With High (impedance) input, two 68K are wired in parallel as a 34K grid stopper, the shunt impedance to ground is 1 Megaohm, which is also the input impedance loading the guitar pickup. Such high impedance introduces very little loading and reserves the top end of the resonant pickup circuit. In additon the RC filter of the grid stopper R and grid C has a cutoff point at higher frequencies due to higher value of R. In essence, the input is much brighter and has much less signal loss.

• Members

No.

In a generic (tube) Fender input circuit...

Fender_input.jpeg

With Low (impedance) input, one 68K resistor acts as grid stopper, simultanously forming a voltage divider with the other 68K resistor. This means 6dB of attenuation, and around 136Kohm input impedance loading the pickup. This somewhat lowish impedance will reduce high end response that the resonant pickup circuit can feed to the amp input. In addition the RC filter formed by the grid stopper resistor and grid capacitance will cut it even further. The 68K-68K voltage divider attenuates the input signal to about half of that fed by the guitar.

With High (impedance) input, two 68K are wired in parallel as a 34K grid stopper, the shunt impedance to ground is 1 Megaohm, which is also the input impedance loading the guitar pickup. Such high impedance introduces very little loading and reserves the top end of the resonant pickup circuit. In additon the RC filter of the grid stopper R and grid C has a cutoff point at higher frequencies due to higher value of R. In essence, the input is much brighter and has much less signal loss.

So basically one is high and the other is low :cop:

• Members
jesus, that thing must peel paint - very cool. yeah try each side, def makes a different with some of the different pickups/guitars i have.

For a 2x12 combo, i can rattle the windows just like a 4x12, it can get very loud. :eek::eek::eek: Very Jangly, think late 70's Rolling Stones.

• Members

Input #2 at volume 6, to me sounds better than what I was running before, which was Input #1 on 4, both with and without pedals (od/clean boost/fuzz all sound great on input 2). No more of that uneccesary ice-pick sound, yet still bright enough to cut.

I would use the tone knob, but on a strat there's no tone knob for bridge pickup. I know I could mod this, though I think input #2 does the trick. Besides I'd never want to dial the ice-pick back in.

• Members

They are the same.......
:cop:

Manual for my Hot Rod Deluxe definitely states that input 1 is normal sensitivity and input 2 is -6dB. I'm not sure about the older ones.

I prefer input 2. When I got my amp (Red October edition - has Eminence Red Coat Wizard speaker and red tolex) after 3 months of trying out the options, I spent quite a bit of time really playing around with the settings. Being a bass player for many years, it never really occurred to me that it might make a difference, but I really found that I could dial in just the right sounds using input 2.

Archived