Parents: What activities/sports do your kids do?

Lucius

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My girls are 11. They take piano and voice lessons weekly. They play soccer, basketball and volleyball. They wanted to play softball this year for the first time but I felt that they needed a break and I wanted a break. I love watching them play sports and making that happen for them but it is also a huge time commitment (getting them to practice, sitting at practice, games, practice at home...on top of school). They both are A students so they do have quite a bit of homework and study time in the evenings during the school year. They will attend soccer and basketball camps over the summer as well as a physics camp at Ohio State so they are excited for all of that as well.

• Members

Parents fighting.. it's like a playground in here

my dad can beat up your dad traded for my kid can beat up your kid

big whoop, wanna fight about it?

imo kids being born nowadays are definitely going to have to suffer through the "you're gonna do what i never did or accomplished" even more so than it happens now. crazy.

• Members

my dad can beat up your dad traded for my kid can beat up your kid

big whoop, wanna fight about it?

imo kids being born nowadays are definitely going to have to suffer through the "you're gonna do what i never did or accomplished" even more so than it happens now. crazy.

I am really trying to avoid that with my son

• Members

ah, the whole "you're a joke" ruse when other people call you out on it
:lol:

I've seen you called out for your negativity multiple times in the past couple days. Get some help or antidepressants.

You are so tiring.. Seriously...

This is fun to you apparently, to me your little personality is boring.. So yeah, make up little "ahh the

ole blankity-blank ruse" and keep pretending you know what you are talking about..

I've said what I had to in this thread, not gonna go at it with you and your nonsense.. Have fun talking {censored}. I'm sure you'll feel better.. And that's all I want For you...

• Members
You are so tiring.. Seriously...

This is fun to you apparently, to me your little personality is boring.. So yeah, make up little "ahh the

ole blankity-blank ruse" and keep pretending you know what you are talking about..

I've said what I had to in this thread, not gonna go at it with you and your nonsense.. Have fun talking {censored}. I'm sure you'll feel better.. And that's all I want For you...

Just walk away tall :lol:

• Members
Pfft.
{censored} justifying it.
My kids are going to be my retirement plan. I am going to make damn sure they get into the NHL so I can stop working.

First of all, Temu Selanne rules. He's so good.

Secondly yes, lol hockey. It's better than a bunch of fat dudes in tights slap fighting and wrestling with each other for 4 seconds, then standing around for 5 minutes before doing it all over again.
:o

I'm with you. I don't make excuses for the choices I make. Or pick and choose how to apply my logic.

That's why I'm a winner today.

• Members

I'm with you. I don't make excuses for the choices I make. Or pick and choose how to apply my logic.

That's why I'm a winner today.

I'm not above justifying my choices...but wtf do I care what you cunts think?

• Members

Dude.. The one guy on this forum who fails is you.. Mr. Big mouth on the internet and I'm sure a yes man in real life.

It's not rationalizing and it's not something I wanted to do as a kid, so again keep your parenting "skills"to yourself until you actually have raised a kid beyond diapers.. Cause guess what? You don't know {censored} about it yet.. It changes a whole lot from what you think you know..

This is just like a 4th grader telling a 2nd grader "just wait till you get to 4th grade, man. It's super hard, you probably won't be able to handle it."

• Members

you're one of the few. i feel bad for some of the kiddos being born to hcaf "personality" types

I am very very different outside of here I spend most of my time with my son, we are very close.

Even if I don't agree I will always see what he feels about something first (unless its junk food or personal hygiene)

Us last year, I still have not grown up

IMG_2055.jpg

• Members
This is just like a 4th grader telling a 2nd grader "just wait till you get to 4th grade, man. It's super hard, you probably won't be able to handle it."

I always love those types. I've known them my entire life.

"Oh just wait until you have a kid."

"Oh just wait until you get to college."

"Oh man, high school is so much different than middle school."

failing to understand that as we grow older we adapt to our surroundings and each challenge can be met with the same open minded attitude. At each stage we are faced with said challenges which at each point in time up the bar of what we can handle.

I don't need to be a parent 15 years to understand what selective discipline is. I think some people are too wrapped up in "my way is the right way" to see past the end of their nose. :thu:

People that drop the "Oh you don't understand yet..." usually use that 'answer' because they don't really have a reason for what they're doing. ie half assing it by the seat of their pants and justifying the slippery slope they've created.

• Members

Pfft. {censored} justifying it. My kids are going to be my retirement plan. I am going to make damn sure they get into the NHL so I can stop working.

First of all, Temu Selanne rules. He's so good.

Secondly yes, lol hockey. It's better than a bunch of fat dudes in tights slap fighting and wrestling with each other for 4 seconds, then standing around for 5 minutes before doing it all over again.
:o

lol helmets.

Seriously...gotta tough them up somehow.

I was just kidding man. I have no idea who that guy I posted is...but he looked like a EVH face...without the photoshop, so it seemed fitting :lol:

• Members
I hope for this, and not the lazy thing.

This is what I want to hear.

I don't think there is anything wrong with asserting yourself or at least dummying up the agressors. My 5YO was involved in a school yard fight, he was standing up for a girl who was getting picked on. Made me soo proud that he learned to protect the fairer sex.

Cheers, Lucius

I hear ya bro but in this instance, My son punching the kids wasnt warranted. He got caught up in the moment and resorted to that. Ive had a talk with him that it really isnt ok to smack someone, UNLESS they are trying to hurt you or smacked you first. I would have no problem with him smacking some one in defense of someone either.

• Members

Oh you care.

I always love those types. I've known them my entire life.

"Oh just wait until you have a kid."

"Oh just wait until you get to college."

"Oh man, high school is so much different than middle school."

failing to understand that as we grow older we adapt to our surroundings and each challenge can be met with the same open minded attitude. At each stage we are faced with said challenges which at each point in time up the bar of what we can handle.

I don't need to be a parent 15 years to understand what selective discipline is. I think some people are too wrapped up in "my way is the right way" to see past the end of their nose.
:thu:

People that drop the "Oh you don't understand yet..." usually use that 'answer' because they don't really have a reason for what they're doing. ie half assing it by the seat of their pants and justifying the slippery slope they've created.

Lol. Bravo.. "justifying it by the slippery slope they've created" haha.. I love how stupid that all sounded.. You should take your own advicE, though.. Because you are telling me I'm wrong or being selective because you see 2 sentences on a computer screen and make your judgment on being "open minded".. How bout the fact I have adapted to what I feel is best for him. Maybe in the 14 years I've learned a thing or two about My son. While you know nothing.... And what's gonna be best for him is completing something he's put in a lot of time into.. Because of his age he's not wanting to commit to a couple hours 2 nights a week. I can understand wanting to go out everyday, but obviously that's not necessary and the commitment isn't asking too much.. What's wrong with enforcing a bit of discipline? So again, great job seeing the difference of a couple years of little league vs. 7 years of hard work and accomplishment you open minded {censored}.lol

Your whole argument stems from your petty little internet hard on for me for some reason, since you made a few other little jabs that had nothing to do with this thread... I guess I'm too mean or too honest for your shallow mind. Sorry Ricky.. I really am.. I did fail in not letting you have the last word and just avoiding your nonsense, but this quote, from you, was just too funny to pass up..

• Members

Actually it has nothing to do with that.. Pointing out that things change from what you think you know from being a parent and what happens later on.. Definitely a few aspects that surprised me..

Anyway, I do agree he's like a 2nd grader. So at least we each can see that..

• Members

Lol. Bravo.. "justifying it by the slippery slope they've created" haha.. I love how stupid that all sounded.. You should take your own advicE, though.. Because you are telling me I'm wrong or being selective because you see 2 sentences on a computer screen and make your judgment on being "open minded".. How bout the fact I have adapted to what I feel is best for him. Maybe in the 14 years I've learned a thing or two about My son. While you know nothing.... And what's gonna be best for him is completing something he's put in a lot of time into.. Because of his age he's not wanting to commit to a couple hours 2 nights a week. I can understand wanting to go out everyday, but obviously that's not necessary and the commitment isn't asking too much.. What's wrong with enforcing a bit of discipline? So again, great job seeing the difference of a couple years of little league vs. 7 years of hard work and accomplishment you open minded {censored}.lol

Your whole argument stems from your petty little internet hard on for me for some reason, since you made a few other little jabs that had nothing to do with this thread... I guess I'm too mean or too honest for your shallow mind. Sorry Ricky.. I really am.. I did fail in not letting you have the last word and just avoiding your nonsense, but this quote, from you, was just too funny to pass up..

Calm down, chachi. You're going to work yourself in to a heart attack or something. I'm sure you're a fine parent. I really don't care. :lol:

• Members

I enjoy the advice he gives a lot of the time, and I enjoy most of his clips...But he NEVER has ANYTHING positive to say to anyone...Ever...It's all criticism, all the time...I feel sorry for that debbie downer's wife...

The guy is honest and has his opinions. He doesn't just bash, he tells you why he doesn't like something. I don't see whats wrong with that. I can see why that rubs some people the wrong way, but its nice to have a whole mix of opinions. Makes things fun.

• Members

My youngest daughter swims all year long.Not a sport I would have chosen for myself,but she is really good at it.Didnt tosh.0 say "what kind of sport is swimming isn't that something you do to stay alive",anyway it is the most boring sport to watch her longest event is like 6 minutes then I have to wait 2hours befor she hits the water again for 2 minutes it's great for her but sucks for me.Also I love to watch all these fat parents bustn their kids for not swimming good enough or coaching (this is only entertainment I get at a meet)like you can tell these parents couldnt even make one pass down the pool without passing out and they think they are experts

• Members

in all honesty I wish my parents introduced me to the gym earlier. Being an avid strength/fitness enthusiast nowadays I have no reason to drink alcohol, party, stay up late doing dumb {censored}. Once you get into it you live a very disciplined life, I really wish I knew about this stuff when I was in middle/high school.

• Members
I think two activities/week is good. Should they be playing baseball?? The last couple years, I've been coaching both their teams but this year neither wanted to play. Was I right in letting them not go?? I hope it doesn't lead to flightyness and general disinterest, or teach them that quiting is okay??? Anyways, advice is welcome. Cheers, Lucius

Both of mine, 9 and 13, have been playing soccer since they were 4. My son, 9, has taken two non-consecutive years off but he signed up again for next fall. My daughter took a year off and missed it so bad she started playing in the fall and spring season as well as making the all-star team for the last two seasons and her jr. high team (doesn't wanna play club soccer tho, go figure). We also do archery as a family but no one competes. My son and I skateboard as well. My daughter is also a musician, she's been playing either piano or flute since she was 4. She took time off of piano as well and ended up picking up the flute since it was easier to carry...hehe..

We don't push too hard as parents, but we volunteer a lot to help in whatever endeavor they're into. We coach, referee, build skateboard ramps, do JOAD for archery, etc. If they want to take time off, we let them. We trust they know themselves better than we do :D So far, they either find their way back or they find something else that interests them.

Archived