Them newfangled jet city fake tube thingydoodles.

Dr.Picklebottom

• Members

In my experience, PI tubes are the ones that tend to go microphonic more often. So having a bullet-proof "tube" there would definitely be a good thing.

Hmm.. I dint think I've ever had a phase invertor be microphonic.. I had one go completely dead recently.. But the only tubes that have ever been microphonic enough to ever be noticeable

was the input stage. And one time the 2nd stage was causing a bit at real high volumes..

• Members

I'd be willing to try them. I dont think I'd wanna stick 'em in a nice vintage piece though. If the "tube" fails, thats one thing..if it fails & causes damage elsewhere..well..

Might be cool to try in a tube pedal (yeah, yeah, yeah... I know tube pedals arent "all tube" , etc... but different tubes DO sound different in them)

• Members

Doug is supposed to be sending me some to try out. I'm going to record a clip with the 100H and do an A/B comparison without touching anything. just swapping real tubes for these things. I'll do a review/thread/video/etc once they show up.

Im SUPER interested...also, would you be so kind as to try them out in the Mak4??

• Members

I find the butthurt a little surprising too, what, with this coming from Jet City and all.

I see Jet City is following the age-old, "sell hot dogs in packs of 10, but buns in packs of 8" philosophy, and only selling 3 packs.
:lol:

RFOLRFOLRFOL that {censored} drives me {censored}ing CRAZY!!!! My OCD cant handle it, and as a result, I dont buy hotdogs very often because the kind I like come in packs of 10. Thats the most retarded {censored} ever haha. Make that {censored} compatible!!! SELL IT IN AMOUNTS THAT MAKE SENSE!!!

• Members

RFOLRFOLRFOL that {censored} drives me {censored}ing CRAZY!!!! My OCD cant handle it, and as a result, I dont buy hotdogs very often because the kind I like come in packs of 10. Thats the most retarded {censored} ever haha. Make that {censored} compatible!!! SELL IT IN AMOUNTS THAT MAKE SENSE!!!

Lol.. I just got burned on that the other day.. Was a bit short on cash last week, so we ate hot dogs

. 8 of them between the whole family.. Kind of in a stupor the next day so I wasn't in full thinking mode, I had nothing to eat for lunch except those 2 hot dogs.. I cook em up, went to get the buns....and.. Wait a minute, where's the {censored}ing buns?! Dammit, that's right there are only 8 buns! Lol.. Had to eat that {censored} like my mom used to make em as a kid, on {censored}ing plain ole white bread..

• Members

Lol.. I just got burned on that the other day.. Was a bit short on cash last week, so we ate hot dogs

. 8 of them between the whole family.. Kind of in a stupor the next day so I wasn't in full thinking mode, I had nothing to eat for lunch except those 2 hot dogs.. I cook em up, went to get the buns....and.. Wait a minute, where's the {censored}ing buns?! Dammit, that's right there are only 8 buns! Lol.. Had to eat that {censored} like my mom used to make em as a kid, on {censored}ing plain ole white bread..

lol I can totally relate to this hahaha I hate when that happens

• Members

There has been solid state tube replacements around for over 40 years.

REPLACING TUBES WITH SEMICONDUCTORS:

The idea of replacing a tube with a plug in transistor substitute has occurred to many people since the transistor was invented. Although there are mathematical models for transistors as voltage to current control devices, fundamentally they are current to current control devices. In most instances the input (base-emitter) current controls the output (collector-emitter) current. Tubes on the other hand are voltage to current control devices or transconductance amplifiers where usually the grid to cathode voltage controls the anode to cathode current. Transistors have a much lower input resistance than a tube in the grounded emitter or grounded cathode configuration respectively.

By the time junction Field Effect transistors had arrived on the scene, high voltage versions were possible substitutes for the Triode tube. They had a similar transfer function of gate voltage versus drain current to grid voltage versus anode current for the triode tube. Also junction Fets have a similar high input impedance to the tube.

Teledyne Semiconductor developed, what they called, a "FETRON" in the early 70's.

It's basically high-voltage FETs in a 9-pin minature

that fits into a 9 pin tube socket. The pinout was such that they'd work

in a 12AX7 type application.

Since they're FETS and have more of a pentode type transfer characteristic,

they provide more gain and less noise than a tube.

Teledyne+Fetron+Magazine.jpg

Mesa Boogie used fetrons in their first amps.

"The IIA and IIB, and some late-model Mark I amps used a silicon device called "fetron" in place of one of the 12AX7 preamp tubes, and included a switch for configuring the amp for either fetron or 12AX7 operation. The reason for using a fetron was to address some of the problems associated with microphonic 12AX7 tubes in a high-gain situation; somehow, Boogie users didn't care too much for the fetron, so its use was later discontinued."

• Members

mbarn tells the trut. You can get plug in SS rectifiers to this day. Seems to me these 'tubes' are something along this line. There is an advantage to these vs a typical SS amp. They do come in different gain flavors, so changing up your amp is way easier than trying to change the gain structure of a full SS amp. But the price has me put off. And 3 per pak? I know some tube amps have 3 pre type tubes, but many only have two. Wut, use the other one as a butt plug? Or maybe as a hot dog bun?

• Members

And 3 per pak? I know some tube amps have 3 pre type tubes, but many only have two. Wut, use the other one as a butt plug? Or maybe as a hot dog bun?

Actually, the problem comes in if you have a 4 preamp tube amp, you'd have to buy 2 packs of these for $198.00 !!!

• Members

Actually, the problem comes in if you have a 4 preamp tube amp, you'd have to buy 2 packs of these for $198.00 !!!

Well then, problem solved! To those complaining about 10 dogs and 8 buns and have a 4 pre tube amp, buy two sets. Then you gots 2 very expensive hot dog buns!!!

Oh and BTW, use the two left over hot dogs in with some baked beans. Ain't none of you guys ever had weenies and beans or have none of you ever been too broke to pay attention?

• Members

v1 would be the one I'd try replacing with one of these. No microphonics at all would be epic.

And low noise (+no heaters..)

Sounds like a good idea for V1, but I wouldn't want it for any stage where clipping is involved.. sadly this happens all over the amp.

Archived