Christian metal bands, lol

the_gunslinger

• Members

Sadly most Christian bands ARE that way. I am in a Christian band and I can promise you that we are'nt like that. We all go through the same crap that everyone else does. Most of the songs we write arent preachy, they are more positive and meant to be encouragement. I cant stand hypocritical people that try to shove any kind of religion onto another person. I absolutely wont do it. I would say 80% of the bands I have been around at Christian venues play them because they cant get into the secular scene anywhere. The "crabcore christian" bands are the worst. Been around a ton of them. A lot of the bigger name bands are the same way.

Yeah the band i was in, they had a popular song back then called Womb with a View...an anti Abortion song.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sadly most Christian bands ARE that way. I am in a Christian band and I can promise you that we are'nt like that. We all go through the same crap that everyone else does. Most of the songs we write arent preachy, they are more positive and meant to be encouragement. I cant stand hypocritical people that try to shove any kind of religion onto another person. I absolutely wont do it. I would say 80% of the bands I have been around at Christian venues play them because they cant get into the secular scene anywhere. The "crabcore christian" bands are the worst. Been around a ton of them. A lot of the bigger name bands are the same way.

The anti-christian music bashing always crack me up. People are always so full of passion when it comes to pointing out the failings of christians. Much like ANYONE, christians are susceptible to "the world" - generally the difference should be that true followers of Christ are doing what they can to learn from their mistakes and NOT repeat them.

We all fail, Christian and non-Christian alike and most non-Christians are just as, if not MORE preachy than their counterparts.

• Members

Disciple has {censored}ing crushing guitar tones.

Just saying...

I saw them last year. They had four Splawns on stage and they had the best guitar tone out of all the bands I have seen. It sounded absolutely MASSIVE :love: They were good too, tons of energy and good chops.

• Members
I would say 80% of the bands I have been around at Christian venues play them because they cant get into the secular scene anywhere.

And if by chance they do get some mainstream attention, they are often out of the Christian music scene/stores/festivals faster than a fart in a hurricane. Evanescence'd. :lol:

• Members

i think these guise are pretty good...
:idk:

the little fill/jam thing at 1:25 is pretty sweet

Not bad, good sound, kind of the regular radio pop rock/metal thing..

Metal is supposed to be about anger release, extreme emotion (usually negative) towards something.. The lyrics of that song are about "I am lost without god, and I don't feel like myself without him". Something more fitted for country, gospel, rnb and maybe blues. Rock? Hell no.. Rock or metal is about "{censored} you". Not "i'm a little depressed... "..

But that's just my view.

• Members

Not bad, good sound, kind of the regular radio pop rock/metal thing..

Metal is supposed to be about anger release, extreme emotion (usually negative) towards something.. The lyrics of that song are about "I am lost without god, and I don't feel like myself without him". Something more fitted for country, gospel, rnb and maybe blues. Rock? Hell no.. Rock or metal is about "{censored} you". Not "i'm a little depressed... "..

But that's just my view.

Do you really feel that way when you listen to "metal"?? :lol:

I bust out a Texas-mile wide smile each time "I'm Broken" pops on. If U mad, it's bc ur ghey :lol: :poke:

Do people really :rage: over music past the age of 12-14?? :lol: Jeebus...

• Members

Do you really feel that way when you listen to "metal"??
:lol:
I bust out a Texas-mile wide smile each time "I'm Broken" pops on. If U mad, it's bc ur ghey
:poke:

Do people really :rage: over music past the age of 12-14??
Jeebus...

:lol: this :lol:

When I want Metal, I want loud guitars, fast drums, and awesome vocals that get my head moving. Anger? Rage? Yeah, great for lyrical content, but that's definitely not my reason for listening. Lyrics mean jack-{censored} to me. Next time I listen to Blind Guardian's "Valhalla", I guess I should be walking around in public lamenting my Norse gods' forsaking me and my brethren, pining about not being able to live without them :lol:

• Members

this

When I want Metal, I want loud guitars, fast drums, and awesome vocals that get my head moving. Anger? Rage? Yeah, great for lyrical content, but that's definitely not my reason for listening. Lyrics mean jack-{censored} to me. Next time I listen to Blind Guardian's "Valhalla",
I guess I should be walking around in public lamenting my Norse gods' forsaking me and my brethren, pining about not being able to live without them

omg :lol: :lol:

"cartoon band" or no, same thing w/ Dethklok. I love those guys. Has anyone actually listened to the lyrics, specifically on the second album? Only reason I catch them is bc they're so damn funny.

• Members

I see themed music of any sort as sort of like going to the movies.

You enjoy the experience but you don't walk out of Spiderman and try and climb the wall of the theater...

Just listen to the music and let it work the magic and be happy.

• Members

You enjoy the experience but you don't walk out of Spiderman and try and climb the wall of the theater...

Boom.

I mean, yeah there are plenty of terrible christian bands out there, but then look at something like traidsmark. They are just as cheesy and retarded, just without the whole Jesus thing. I don't give a crap. I'll use Gene's quote again, when he said "Don't be a snob, eat all pizza". Same thing applies here.

• Members

Boom.

I mean, yeah there are plenty of terrible christian bands out there, but then look at something like traidsmark. They are just as cheesy and retarded, just without the whole Jesus thing. I don't give a crap. I'll use Gene's quote again, when he said "Don't be a snob, eat all pizza". Same thing applies here. Whether it's "christian" or not, enjoy it for what it is to you.

• Members
Do you really feel that way when you listen to "metal"??
I bust out a Texas-mile wide smile each time "I'm Broken" pops on. If U mad, it's bc ur ghey
:poke:

Do people really :rage: over music past the age of 12-14??
Jeebus...

I'm not angry when I listen to metal, but it is an escape to anger and frustration. Sort of venting through music, but the mojo has to be there. Without that mojo, it kills the mood.

Like if I'm enjoying a metal song on the radio or whatever, then find out that it speaks of being faithful to god, well that song loses all its thunder. Spoils it for me. If it doesn't pretend to be metal, sort of like "Fray - you found me", then it is much more fitting and the mood is not ruined with "let's make this sound cool". :idk:

• Members

I'm not angry when I listen to metal, but it is an escape to anger and frustration. Sort of venting through music, but the mojo has to be there. Without that mojo, it kills the mood.

Like if I'm enjoying a metal song on the radio or whatever, then find out that it speaks of being faithful to god, well that song loses all its thunder. Spoils it for me. If it doesn't pretend to be metal, sort of like "Fray - you found me", then it is much more fitting and the mood is not ruined with "let's make this sound cool".

I get that but honestly, most bands are total posers, and most metal fans are total posers. If I let myself think like "this {censored} is real and I need to tap my anger" or some {censored} I'd never get into it because I know it's an act. It's theater.

• Members

Like if I'm enjoying a metal song on the radio or whatever, then find out that it speaks of being faithful to god, well that song loses all its thunder. Spoils it for me. If it doesn't pretend to be metal, sort of like "Fray - you found me", then it is much more fitting and the mood is not ruined with "let's make this sound cool".

It's funny bc like in A Clockwork Orange, I don't like associating tunes I enjoy with {censored}ty moods/times... but maybe that's just me? :( I dunno. I enjoy what I listen to so much that it sucks going "OMG REMEMBER THAT TIME WAS ABOUT TO SUCK START A SHOTGUN?? YA IT'S THIS SONG!!" :lol: then I can't jam it anymore. Same goes for chicks, too. You have certain girlies who you associate w/ good songs and once that {censored} is over it's just never the same. It's funny you mention The Fray, bc that "Over My Head" song I associate with an ex that I just had some crazy ass times with and not that I'm a huge Fray fan, but yeah. :lol:

• Members

Meh..I prefer my heathen godless metal.

For some reason the "christian metal" thing doesn't sit well with me. To each their own, but at least when it comes to "extreme" metal trying to throw Christian themes in it seems stupid.

That being said, I also hate that ultra "satanic" metal nonsense. I'm all for the theatrics and a nod to the campy aspect, but when they take it seriously I just have to shake my head. Having said that I still love me some nerdy church-burning-wannabe "satanic" black metal.

• Members

very very few black metal bands take themselves seriously and actually believe in satan, it's merely an artform. (it seems) all christian bands actually believe in christ, therein lies the difference, imo.

Yes, and it's far better to babble on about things you don't truly believe in than to do something you believe has meaning.

I don't understand why this is so offensive. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Isn't the motto of this forum "if you don't like it, don't read it?" Same thing... different strokes for different folks. Don't sweat it.

• Members

Yes, and it's far better to babble on about things you don't truly believe in than to do something you believe has meaning.

I don't understand why this is so offensive. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Isn't the motto of this forum "if you don't like it, don't read it?" Same thing... different strokes for different folks. Don't sweat it.

Well I see the point. Black Metal is the artform (ha ha)..not to be taken seriously. Many of the (sane) musicians understand that it's performance art and a lot of it plays into keeping the traditional images of metal alive. Christian bands however don't "leave it on the stage" and it's there 24/7..and it's funny that as much as Crosstitutes rant and rave about devil worshippers and evil people using metal to spread their sinister message to youth, they do the exact same things, only one side isn't really serious and the other is.

Now that being said I also agree to the "who gives a {censored}" aspect. Personally I find Christian metal to be stupid and a waste of time and energy, but somebody likes it I'm sure so I wouldn't take it away from them anymore than I'd want someone taking the likes of Gorgoroth and Satanic Warmaster away from me.

• Members

You guys should all take a little break, chill out, and watch an awesome Christian "not-quite"-metal band. :)

Yeah it's my band...I think we are more hard rock than metal, but the singer tends to go all James Hetfield on us when I dirty up the guitar. I consider the second song to be a little fire and brimstone-ish, but its about as in your face as we get. We tend to write more about what we've experienced...you know, "I once was lost, but now I am found" stuff. Anyway, feel free to amuse or abuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTbekjbPvuQ

Archived