Which pickups have "crushing" mids?

soilent

• Members

Oh! And I just remembered a friend of mine put PAF pro's in my Ibanez a while ago. Those pickups are quite mid heavy, but I don't like them at all. So, if any of the suggestions sound like those, that's not what I'm looking for. Hope that helps.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh! And I just remembered a friend of mine put PAF pro's in my Ibanez a while ago. Those pickups are quite mid heavy, but I don't like them at all. So, if any of the suggestions sound like those, that's not what I'm looking for. Hope that helps.

Anderson H3 is another sick choice if you want to replace the pups in your IBBY.

• Members

Ill say that I LOVE my breed, but its not as mid focused as an EMG 81. Its definitely got more low end punch and thump to it, and its looser and has a softer feel than an 81...so if youre comparing things to your 81 and want more mids, breed isnt the way to go.

You would probably do well with painkillers. The mids are {censored}ing ridiculous on those things...super tight and slicey...for lack of a better word. They can get harsh if you let them, but they are also devastating. Ive never played a pickup with as much mids as those things have.

• Members

If you think a PAF Pro has alot of mid presence, we may need to steer you in another direction. The PAF Pro has a rather flat mid response, with an enhanced top end profile. If that's alot of mids to your ears, you are going to want to try something with a better bottom end and low mids presence in the sound stage. I would stay away from the Duncan Distortion, JB, Evo, BKP Nailbomb.

Consider the Duncan Invader, Dimarzio Crunch Lab or Breed, or BKP Warpig or Painkiller

• Members

If you think a PAF Pro has alot of mid presence, we may need to steer you in another direction. The PAF Pro has a rather flat mid response, with an enhanced top end profile. If that's alot of mids to your ears, you are going to want to try something with a better bottom end and low mids presence in the sound stage. I would stay away from the Duncan Distortion, JB, Evo, BKP Nailbomb.

Consider the Duncan Invader, Dimarzio Crunch Lab or Breed, or BKP Warpig or Painkiller

I love the Duncan Invader. Many people avoid it because it has tons of bass, but people forget to mention that it has a TON of mids also. It is kind of like having a Tubescreamer on all the time.

• Members

I can't speak for how they might sound in an Ibanez, especially a basswood one, but I really like the PAF Pro in the neck position of my Epi LP. :cool:

• Members

Consider the Duncan Invader, Dimarzio Crunch Lab or
Breed
, or BKP Warpig or Painkiller

Yep. The Breed's too bassy in one of my mahogony-body/mahogony-neck PRS copies but will probably sound awesome in something like a strat.

• Members

Ill say that I LOVE my breed, but its not as mid focused as an EMG 81. Its definitely got more low end punch and thump to it, and its looser and has a softer feel than an 81...so if youre comparing things to your 81 and want more mids, breed isnt the way to go.

You would probably do well with painkillers. The mids are {censored}ing ridiculous on those things...super tight and slicey...for lack of a better word. They can get harsh if you let them, but they are also devastating. Ive never played a pickup with as much mids as those things have.

Yup, love the painkillers. I must really like mids, currently my main rig is a Les Paul w/ Painkillers ---> Mesa Mark III ----> Recto cab with V30s. All which are middy as {censored}, but I love it.

• Members

Hey, thanks for bringing this up. Wasn't that you who posted a video comparing the 81s and pain killers? I remember hearing the 81 and think man, that sounds pretty good, but then I heard the painkillers and I was like woah, that sounds awesome!

• Members

Forget about pickups. Just get a Marshall Mg. Zakk Wylde says the tone is crushing.

Zakk Wylde also had Confederate flags all over his {censored} in spite of being from New Jersey. No accounting for taste. :lol: :poke:

Nonetheless, where in Utah are you from? :thu:

• Members

Your guitar has an EMG81, yeah? I don't know of many other pickups that would sound more "tight" or "crushing" than that pickup. Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding your use of those words. Otherwise, I have a very hard time understanding how someone could think a {censored}ing SH-5 would sound more tight and crushing than an EMG81. I wonder sometimes what goes on in some people's minds in pickup threads.

I could see a painkiller being something you might be interested in. It has a huge high-mid bump with throaty and gurgly mids that really cut, but it might not sound as tight as the 81 in the lows.

But, I'm suspecting that your guitar just doesn't have the same resonance as your friend's. If so, there's not much you can do about that.

• Members

Your guitar has an EMG81, yeah? I don't know of many other pickups that would sound more "tight" or "crushing" than that pickup. Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding your use of those words. Otherwise, I have a very hard time understanding how someone could think a {censored}ing SH-5 would sound more tight and crushing than an EMG81. I wonder sometimes what goes on in some people's minds in pickup threads.

I could see a painkiller being something you might be interested in. It has a huge high-mid bump with throaty and gurgly mids that really cut, but it probably won't sound as tight as the 81 in the lows.

But, I'm suspecting that your guitar just doesn't have the same resonance as your friend's. If so, there's not much you can do about that.

Funny, I was thinking something really similar lol. The painkiller is the only thing that I could think of that would have a more crushing midrange than an 81...Maybe an MCP solution, as well. And I dunno that itd be MORE crushing, just different. Certainly not tighter.

• Members

Hey, thanks for bringing this up. Wasn't that you who posted a video comparing the 81s and pain killers? I remember hearing the 81 and think man, that sounds pretty good, but then I heard the painkillers and I was like woah, that sounds awesome!

I compared them with something, but I didnt have painkillers and emgs at the same time. Theres a couple videos up there with the painkillers, though. Really, thats the only pup Ive played that I can think of that you might like the character of more than the 81. But yeah, wont be as tight. Itll cut more, though.

Archived