I Need a Good, Portable Bass Amp that Brings The Low End

Amigo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that would make sense given that the 4x10 cab has nearly twice the surface area of the 1x15

Take an amp that puts out 200w @ 8 ohms for easy math. Couple it with a 410 and a 115, both 8 ohm cabs. Each cab is going to get 100w. Each speaker in the 410 is going to divide that equally, all getting 25w...whereas the 115 is going to take all 100w by itself.

• Members

Compete how? Volume wise? Absolutely, no contest. The bigger speaker is going to win. More speaker surface area = volume

As for frequency response, the right 5" speaker in a correctly tuned box can give you the same "lows" as anything. Check out Phil Jones stuff.

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=123

This thing has 21 5" speakers in it, and supposedly goes down to 20Hz. That's right at the cusp of what humans can even hear.

BUT... that's TWENTY ONE 5" speakers, not ONE. :D

line arrays are a different matter altogether than ONE 5" in a 'properly tuned box'. i would argue that you can't tune a box to generate enough bass off a 5" woofer to drive the cabinet. you can't generate the excursion to push that much air to get any volume. you might get the Hz, but not at any volume, or we'd all have 2" subwoofers in our TVs with 8" excursions filling our living rooms. :D

i hear what you're saying-- but you really can't move that much air with small drivers UNLESS you've got lots of 'em, and the 'tuned box' only goes so far in terms of efficiency-- which is what line arrays make up for with lots of speakers.

• Members

welp. it doesn't much matter, honestly. you're not convincing me that 10's sound BETTER. just that math says theres more surface area in a 410- with 4 inferior sounding speakers with overly fast transient response and compression, and that clubs have PAs with subs. and if my cab is a stage monitor for me and the band, i'd prefer it sounds better to me. with 15's in it.
:D

i'm not battling you-- all i'm saying, is that to me, 10's don't sound like a bass by themselves (except mebbe an ampeg coffin). 15's do. 18's also do. other than that-- rock what y' want. the op asked about good and portable bass amps that bring bass. i recommend a 15. ahem.
:D

yeah I wasn't looking for an argumanet either, just stating that having used both 410's and 1x15's extensively, my conclusion is that a 1x15 is vastly inferior to a 410. a 2x15 is a different story.

the first bass amp that I know of is the Fender Bassman, it had 4x10's. the first Marshall 4x12 was actually meant to be a bass cabinet, not a guitar cabinet. Traynor had an 8x10 bass cab in the sixties before Ampeg did. 15's came later for bas amps. I like them all personally, it just happens that the 810 cab is the only cab that would finally stand up to my high volume demands, the botoom end on them is huge as well. they work so well becausde they're short throw cabs, just enough throw to massage your back and not throw a wave 30 feet out into the audience and conflict with the front end. 15's and 18's have a much longer throw and that's one of the drawbacks. whatever works and makes a person happy is what they should use.

• Members

IMO the frequency response argument is pointless. You can get a bunch of 10s to put out more lows than a 15. You'll need a lot of 10s to put out as much low end as 2 15s.

To me it comes down more to tone and attack. If I was playing slap bass for example, I'd want 10s for sure (and a tweeter). If wanted to make sure I was cutting through with a tone that let me stand out in a multi-guitar metal band, again, I'd probably got for 10s. But if I wanted a more vintage type tone, bringing a huge warm low end, I'd want 15s. Which is what I prefer, but I'm a P-bass with the tone rolled back type of dude.

• Members

OK, I don't get it. I can't even remember the last time my amp was used for anything but a stage monitor. Why do you need to move so much air? When I had an amp (sold it a few months ago) I had an Ashdown MAG300 into a GK Backline 210 (on wheels!). Cost about $300 and handled my Dingwall's low B just fine. Never had a problem hearing myself on stage. Now I just use a pedal board with a Sansamp 3-Channel straight to the board.

• Members

every try one of these

line6_LD150.jpg
pretty decent and covers alot of tones

http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.99-015-0205?ref=nt

they have these at one of the local practice studios... it sounds okay but turns to mush in a mix and really disappears. DO NOT WANT EVER do not buy

TC electronic or Markbass on the other hand... yessss mmm but a bit pricy

• Members

IMO the frequency response argument is pointless. You can get a bunch of 10s to put out more lows than a 15. You'll need a lot of 10s to put out as much low end as 2 15s.

Again, this just isn't true. It's not opinion, it's physics. You'd need roughly 2 10" speakers to put out as much volume as 1 15" speaker. As for a 215 putting out more lows than the 410 you'd need to roughly match the speaker surface area, well that's not necessarily true either. It depends on the box. The size of the speaker has nothing to do with it.

• Members

I'm gravitating towards the Genz Benz Shuttle and 2x12 setup myself. Plenty loud for what I'm doing, and definitely easier to transport. Also easier to transport than the W-Bin I made, but the thing sounds awesome in an outdoor or large room setting. For most gigs I use a cheap Acoustic 600w head and 410, also use a Sansamp for going direct.

5822113648_2487a8f537_b.jpg

Archived