Does Anyone Play through 2 Heads at Once?

Nick H

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I find that running two amps is very difficult for my ears to deal with, but not impossible. Especially with channel switching amps. The tightness of one amp/channel vs. the slight looseness of another, as well as several other qualities of sound vying for the front, once blended change everything about the sound as a whole. I find myself dialing in for a really long time to TRY to balance the two amps rather than just playing and enjoying. I would run two amps but only as an A/B function for more channel selecting options, not a Y function.... though I might have to eat my words in the future when I post a new thread: "OMG last night I ran both amps at the same time and it killed!!!!"

For now I find I have an easier time listening when I play through just one amp.

• Members

How to avoid the ground loop?

Don't let him drink too much?

but srsly.

Use a quality ABY with an isolation transformer. Radial and Lehle make them.

The biggest problem I ever had with dualmono is going from clean to crunch to lead with both amps. First, footswitching is multiplied by 2 unless you use a midi switcher...which, while not insurmountable, is definitely cumbersome. Second, and a bigger deal IMO...are the phase issues when running two dissimilar amps. Rarely are all channels in phase. Each gain stage flips phase. For instance, when cleans were in phase (because they both use 2 gain stages), but then crunches would be out of phase...because one amp uses 3 gain stages for that and the other uses 4....so either clean sounded good and dirt was thin, or dirt sounded good and clean was thin.

Sounds amazing for one tone at a time...but would be difficult to accomplish great tones for an entire set without 2 very similar amps.

Great for recording or bedroom wanking...bad for performance.

• Members

I've never liked running 2 amps at once... the only time I used a 2-amp rig is when I had a Mark III and a Super Twin, but I would a/b between them for drive/clean tones. That sounded great but it was also a pain in the ass to carry and set up.

yeah see, this is how i might use my Laneys at home, but never live unless there's a road crew and like that's gonna happen...

Archived