LOL - Florida lifeguard fired for coming to drowing man's aid

Pedaltones

• Members

Litigation concerns out of control?

Bosses more machine than human when it comes to compassion?

or Mitch Buchanan wannabie tastes beach justice?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18715684

A lifeguard who left his section of a Florida beach to help save a man from drowning has been given the sack.

Tomas Lopez, 21, was patrolling part of Hallandale Beach north of Miami when he was told that a swimmer was in trouble in an unguarded area of the beach.

"I wasn't going to say no," the lifeguard said.

But his bosses said he had broken company rules and could have put other swimmers at risk. At least two colleagues have resigned in protest.

"We have liability issues and can't go out of the protected area," Susan Ellis of lifeguard provider Jeff Ellis and Associates told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

She added that the stretch of Hallandale Beach that Mr Lopez was supposed to be patrolling on Monday was being protected by other lifeguards who were on the phone to emergency operators at the time.

Mr Lopez, four months in the job, ran some distance to help the swimmer who had already been pulled out of the water by other beachgoers.

He and an off-duty nurse then helped the man until paramedics arrived to take him to hospital. The unidentified swimmer is said to be in intensive care.

Mr Lopez has no regrets about losing his $8.25-an-hour (

• Members

how do cops handle {censored} on jurisdiction lines? if you see someone being raped or killed, are you not allowed to act?

why am i even posting. fak flerda

If there's a revenue generation possibility they're all over it no matter what.

• Members

so they fired him for crossing an imaginary line to help a civilian?

This reminds me of a story a customer of mine told me. He was selling me his truck because he just got out of jail and needed the money for court fees and some other things. what did he do? He is a social worker for the state of NY and helps people or at least tries to help people in bad situations for a living. Well he was driving past Yankee Stadium and saw a man passed out on the sidewalk. He stopped his truck got out and went to aid the man that people were basically stepping over. He did cpr and saved the guys life, he was od'ing on drugs or something and then the police arrived. Did this guy get a heros welcome by the cops....no instead the ARRESTED HIM because they found drugs on the guy he saved and wouldnt listen to him that he stopped to save the guyts life. All the people in the vicinity were pleading with the police to let him go. They didnt and arrested him and threw him in a cell on a FRIDAY AFTERNOON and he had to wait until MONDAY MORNING to see a judge to explain his case. The judge saw that he was innocent and they let him go after he had to spend an entire weekend in a prison with murders and rapists and gang bangers. Dude is as clean cut as you can get, he must have been terrified. They didnt even apologize. totally effed up.

• Members

This reminds me of a story a customer of mine told me. He was selling me his truck because he just got out of jail and needed the money for court fees and some other things. what did he do? He is a social worker for the state of NY and helps people or at least tries to help people in bad situations for a living. Well he was driving past Yankee Stadium and saw a man passed out on the sidewalk. He stopped his truck got out and went to aid the man that people were basically stepping over. He did cpr and saved the guys life, he was od'ing on drugs or something and then the police arrived. Did this guy get a heros welcome by the cops....no instead the ARRESTED HIM because they found drugs on the guy he saved and wouldnt listen to him that he stopped to save the guyts life. All the people in the vicinity were pleading with the police to let him go. They didnt and arrested him and threw him in a cell on a FRIDAY AFTERNOON and he had to wait until MONDAY MORNING to see a judge to explain his case. The judge saw that he was innocent and they let him go after he had to spend an entire weekend in a prison with murders and rapists and gang bangers. Dude is as clean cut as you can get, he must have been terrified. They didnt even apologize. totally effed up.

That is such bull {censored}!

Cole

• Members

Get a life Florida.

Dude, you live in Arkansas ok, c'mon, that's like Central Americans making fun of Mexicans, we all know who the real bitch is. Btw, Broward County Florida has no jurisdiction lines, cops can arrest while out of their jurisdiction or pursue into another. Miami-Dade and Palm Beach have regular jurisdiction. Most jurisdictions are split on City or County Line roads on the middle lane paint. I'm not sure what happens when the scene is actually on the middle paint.

A teacher at my high school pulled a man out of a burning car he thought might explode, it did. He saved the man's life, but the man sued him claiming that he seriously injured his back by pulling him from the car. The man won a judgement in the millions against the teacher. The teacher quit his job and decided to never work again, rather than have his wages severely garnished forever.

• Members

A teacher at my high school pulled a man out of a burning car he thought might explode, it did. He saved the man's life, but the man sued him claiming that he seriously injured his back by pulling him from the car. The man won a judgement in the millions against the teacher. The teacher quit his job and decided to never work again, rather than have his wages severely garnished forever.

moral of the story. look out for yourself and {censored} everyone else. :cry: its where this country is headed. *sigh*

if I was that teacher I'd find a way to blow-up that guys car. :mad:

• Members

Reminds me of a guy I knew who worked at a grocery store who was fired for stopping a shoplifter.

I used to work at a grocery store when I was a teenager, a bunch of kids were fired because they ate a couple day old buns, that were just going to be thrown out. They were fired for Theft.

• Members

Reminds me of a guy I knew who worked at a grocery store who was fired for stopping a shoplifter.

Yea, can't do that {censored}. I work in retail and they make a strong point that you'll be fired for doing so.

• Members

Unreal...

Archived