LOL - Florida lifeguard fired for coming to drowing man's aid

Pedaltones

• Members

I saw this story on BBC this morning... turns out a bunch of other lifeguards quit... 4 or 5 of them... from what I understood they worked on a "private" beach so the companies liability does not extend past their "area"

such bull{censored}

• Members

Its not florida that's out of control its the legal system and attornies. You have to be careful these days when doing a good deed. There might be an asshole with a law degree waiting around the corner ready to sue you into poverty.

• Members

^^^ dude, you're going to be with your gf, yet want to go to a cake shop to stare at another girl???

Nah she loves all those places that she sees on cupcake wars, dinners dine in and drives etc...

• Members

I saw this story on BBC this morning... turns out a bunch of other lifeguards quit... 4 or 5 of them... from what I understood they worked on a "private" beach so the companies liability does not extend past their "area"

such bull{censored}

There are very few private beaches in Florida. However, his lifeguard stand had an area that it covered and the person drowning was not in that area. He was probably on a public beach and the person was in front of a hotel. However, it is not like there are fences between the two beaches. Anyone can use any beach, unless it is in a private neighborhood and on someone's property, that is Florida law. That was not the case here.

• Members

A teacher at my high school pulled a man out of a burning car he thought might explode, it did. He saved the man's life, but the man sued him claiming that he seriously injured his back by pulling him from the car. The man won a judgement in the millions against the teacher. The teacher quit his job and decided to never work again, rather than have his wages severely garnished forever.

Most states have "good samaritan" laws that protect people from lawsuits like this. In a perfect world, your teacher would hunt that piece of {censored} down, douse him with gas, set fire to him, and wave the severed head of his wife/girlfriend in front of him as he shrieked his last desperate breaths out :).

• Members
Most states have "good samaritan" laws that protect people from lawsuits like this. In a perfect world, your teacher would hunt that piece of {censored} down, douse him with gas, set fire to him, and wave the severed head of his wife/girlfriend in front of him as he shrieked his last desperate breaths out
:)

yeah, the GS laws should've protected him on trying to save the dude's life.

Part of the problem is that everyone has gone sue happy for things that should be common sense. I think it's stupid that they fired the lifeguard for saving a drowning man and at the same time I understand where they're coming from. In a world where you can sue McD for hot coffee I can't blame businesses for trying to protect themselves from the (stupid) people.

• Members

story like this makes me :facepalm: on where humanity is in 2012, on the other hand if the guy didnt help and the guy died he would be all over news paper for letting a man die. he was {censored}ed anyway :lol:

Archived