Grillsmen, I request your best burger recipe.

Crunchtime

• Members

{censored} crackers and eggs... this isn't meatloaf. My burgers stay together just fine without. Hickory is the key... I cook them over logs or chunks of hickory, no charcoal. For spices I use paprika, Montreal, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, and sometimes I add a pack of french onion soup and a little beer. Char quickly then cook slow. Add cheese at the last minute, enjoy!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you're using store bought ground beef an egg and some sort of dry starch does WONDERS in making your burger hold together. Crackers, bread crumbs either stale or fresh, chips, dry cereal, pretzels all work and can impart an interesting texture/flavor into your burgers. If you want to use basic breadcrumbs, you won't ever notice the flavor of them in the beef, but your burger will hold together on nearly any cooking surface. It also lets you be a bit more liberal with your auxiliary ingredients.

If you like wet ingredients or sauces added to the beef, the binding agents will help negate the "looseness" associated with pure ground beef and wet ingredients.

• Members

Also works extremely well as a Salmon seasoning. Sprinkle liberally over filet before smoking. Eat with wheat crackers and cream cheese.

man, you were SO close on this one... don't just season some salmon with it; marinate that {censored}.

1/2 C olive oil

1/4 C balsamic vinegar

1 t Cavender's

Soak that salmon a half hour or so, and baste with more while its grillin'. oh gawd.

• Members

As much of a pain in the arse it is, the real secret to good burgers is charcoal. I'm lazy and use my gas grill most of the time TBH, but I've still got my Weber on standby when I wanna do it right. Also, +1 to not pressing burgers on the grill, I freaking rage anytime I see somebody doing that :mad:

Also agree with stuffed burgers, but I usually do mushroom and green pepper, rather than onion.

I wish y'all could've been around when I made epic burgers though. Dang son.

Half ground chuck, half mild sausage (the patties were easily 3/4 lb each), provolone and/or swiss, 2 slices philly steak meat, 2 large slices bacon, sauteed mushroom and green pepper. Had the whole fam over and everybody NOM'd.

OH MY GAWD.

I think my heart died a little that day, but it was totally worth it.

• Members

man, you were SO close on this one... don't just season some salmon with it; marinate that {censored}.

1/2 C olive oil

1/4 C balsamic vinegar

1 t Cavender's

Soak that salmon a half hour or so, and baste with more while its grillin'. oh gawd.

Must. Try. Recipe!

THANKS!

• Members
+1

IMG_1783.JPG

That's good {censored} right there.

This thread inspired me to make this on the grill last night:

2lbs chopped sirloin
1lb Owens hot breakfast sausage
1 packet of Hidden Valley spicy ranch
Add chopped onions and shredded cheddar
sprinkle with garlic powder
crumble a few saltines in it and mix together and make into patties.

twas deeeelish!!!

• Members

Must. Try. Recipe!

THANKS!

report with progress after you do! my mom made this at home, and i swear... i'm not just being biased 'cause it's mom's home cookin' (i hate most everything she makes), it really is the best salmon i've ever had.

Sorry to hijack this burger thread. Its really damn good.....

• Members

The more you mush and manhandle ground beef the worse it gets, no matter what you put in it, the meat itself gets a strange consistency IMO, I suggest buying 80/20, using a spoon to scoop the right amount onto a sheet of wax paper, fold paper over the scoop and form the patty quick and rough, not pressing too hard, the idea is to not squish the meat and get hand oils on it, also you want rough edges, those grab the smoke and get crusty, salt, pepper and grill over hot charcoal, as hot as you can get, until medium rare.

Also you must grill the buns! no exceptions, and a thin scrape of mayo on them keeps the juices from getting them soggy.

The Perfect Burger.

Archived