Considering going a different route with a Fender amp......

TU BE

• Members

I am seriously considering selling the Super Sonic 22 and going with a strictly clean fender model ala DR, TR etc.

Lately my interest in overdrive and distortion pedals has been peaking. The cleans on the SS are pretty darn good, but I think I want some fantastic cleans but with the ability to change my overdrive/distorted tone on a whim.

I would like a 1x12, 2x12 or head and would like to keep it in the $800 and below range so a RI could definitely fit the bill here.

Your suggestions?

• Members

Used Fender Twin or Twin Reverb.

Or, if you feel like doing some work... Fender Hotrod Deville with a speaker and tube swap.

the HRD would certainly be a less expensive way to go. I used to have one back in the day. Had a major love/hate relationship with it. I remember it to be a great pedal platform and that farty stock speaker had to go. I got it sounding good with a tube swap, rebias and speaker change.

• Members

Deluxe Reverb reissue if your SS has enough balls for ya, or Super Reverb if you want more power.

Bassman 4x10 is another option if you want a bit warmer tone however I prefer the blackface tone for my own needs.

Either way I'm a big fan of this route.

• Members

the HRD would certainly be a less expensive way to go. I used to have one back in the day. Had a major love/hate relationship with it. I remember it to be a great pedal platform and that farty stock speaker had to go. I got it sounding good with a tube swap, rebias and speaker change.

Same here. I have a HRD with a Warehouse Vet30 in it and some SED 6L6s and a RCA Blackplate 12ax7 in V1. The dirties are still pretty terrible but the cleans are fantastic.

• Members
Deluxe Reverb reissue if your SS has enough balls for ya, or Super Reverb if you want more power.

Bassman 4x10 is another option if you want a bit warmer tone however I prefer the blackface tone for my own needs.

Either way I'm a big fan of this route.

I was thinking of a bassman head but I think they gext pretty dirty when cranked. At least the 68 I had did.

I like the sound of a 4x10 speaker set up but really wanted a bit easier to transport.

I dunno man, kinda liking the looks of the twin reverb. :idk:

• Members

Same here. I have a HRD with a Warehouse Vet30 in it and some SED 6L6s and a RCA Blackplate 12ax7 in V1. The dirties are still pretty terrible but the cleans are fantastic.

Yeah, I hated the dirty tones on that thing. I was able to make it passable using 5751's rather than the 12ax7's but still never really got along with it.

• Members

some people rag on the blues deluxe tweed version but for what it is it does its job very well.

i grew up playing mine, have about 15 years of history with it so i love it very much.

the gain channel blows, i never use it.

the reverb is sweet and the clean is sweet and it takes pedals very well. sounds amazing through an ext cab too.

• Members

Just search for a blackface or early silverface Bassmam head. I got mine for $325. Clean it up and replace the filter caps and you've got yourself an indestructible clean/gritty tone machine.

Now that I think of it,the 68 I had was slightly modded. Perhaps these stay cleaner than I think. Hmmmm.......

A head along with my orange 212 could be a pretty tight little set up.

• Members
I was thinking of a bassman head but I think they gext pretty dirty when cranked. At least the 68 I had did.

I like the sound of a 4x10 speaker set up but really wanted a bit easier to transport.

I dunno man, kinda liking the looks of the twin reverb.
:idk:

Oh the '59 Bassman RI is a different beast. I have a '65 Bassman head and much prefer the tweed RI 4x10. They're pine enclosures as well, so they're much lighter than the Super or really any other Fender combo. They do get dirty when cranked, but have quite a bit of headroom before it gets there. Think JTM45.

TRRI... can't really go wrong there. Heavy beasts, and they're loud and proud. Takes every pedal known to man and they're also pretty easy to find for sub $800 in relatively good shape.

The '59 Bassman combo with pedals is an epic combo. Like... truly {censored}in' epic. Also much much lighter than the Twin :p

• Members

Now that I think of it,the 68 I had was slightly modded. Perhaps these stay cleaner than I think. Hmmmm.......

A head along with my orange 212 could be a pretty tight little set up.

old Blackface/drip rail Bassman heads have kinda sucky cleans. They're flat and bland imo. They excel at cranked up power chord type rock when they're really loud, but not my favorite cleans in the world.

If you want a cheap old Fender head look for the old Bandmaster heads. I picked up a CLEAN '68 Bandmaster (drip rail) for $350 last year. MUCH better pedal platform imo.

• Members

Well, I haven't decided for sure to do this yet though. I may go to a few local shops and see what they have to try out as far as the fenders go.

I know the SS is based off the Deluxe circuit so I may try running a few dirt pedals through the clean of that amp also.

• Members

While I like the Fender circuit designs, the quality of their amps is pretty crappy for what you pay. Cheap PC construction. Tube sockets soldered directly to boards, cheap pots with plastic stems...really the cheapest materials possible.
They also suffer from some design flaws in the newer models that they refuse to address like the bias set too hot on the Blues Junior.

Another issue is tube rattle. Crank them up and you hear all this crap from the tubes getting shaken by the speaker. Very common in Fender amps...including the reissues. Fender amps I've owneded over the years and sold:

Blues Deluxe, Super Reverb Reissue, Deluxe Reverb Reissue, Blues Junior. I had to modify all of them extensively to get them sounding and playing right. Speaker swaps, rewiring. Lots of failure issues. The only amps I own now that are Fender are a pair of 1980 Concert II amps and a Princeton Reverb that are built well but that was 30 years ago....

I'll never buy a recently built Fender again. I'd rather go with a clone using a similar design if I want that sound or a vintage piece.
My experience with their failure rate has been particularly high.

• Members

i dont know man, i must have gotten a good one then. my blues deluxe has been going strong for over 15 years now. it was my first tube amp and got tons of playing at very loud volumes when i owned it for 4 years, then my dad used it in his church band for over a decade and now i have it again and it still sounds great. :idk:

• Members

My Blues Deluxe had no bias adjust. The clean channel was o.k. but the overdrive sucked. Then after a while it developed this weird property where it would cut out silent with large volume changes. Sort of a stutter/sputter sound. I ended up unloading it at a Guitar Center for $300 ....which wasn't bad because I paid $350 for it a couple years before. Thank God when the fellow tested the amp he didn't play it loud and hard........

• Members

The '59 Bassman combo with pedals is an epic combo. Like... truly {censored}in' epic. Also much much lighter than the Twin
:p

Played a gig with this one band earlier this year -- The singer guitarist had a 59 Bassman and some pedals,...main dirt was from an OCD. His tone was freakin awesome. That's a great amp and there is something about the 4x10 enclosure.

• Members

While I like the Fender circuit designs, the quality of their amps is pretty crappy for what you pay. Cheap PC construction. Tube sockets soldered directly to boards, cheap pots with plastic stems...really the cheapest materials possible.

They also suffer from some design flaws in the newer models that they refuse to address like the bias set too hot on the Blues Junior.

Another issue is tube rattle. Crank them up and you hear all this crap from the tubes getting shaken by the speaker. Very common in Fender amps...including the reissues. Fender amps I've owneded over the years and sold:

Blues Deluxe, Super Reverb Reissue, Deluxe Reverb Reissue, Blues Junior. I had to modify all of them extensively to get them sounding and playing right. Speaker swaps, rewiring. Lots of failure issues. The only amps I own now that are Fender are a pair of 1980 Concert II amps and a Princeton Reverb that are built well but that was 30 years ago....

I'll never buy a recently built Fender again. I'd rather go with a clone using a similar design if I want that sound or a vintage piece.

My experience with their failure rate has been particularly high.

I've never seen a DRRI with board mounted tube sockets. My friend just bought one brand new and it has chassis mounted sockets. I've also never heard of the Reissue line having tube rattle at all. The little El84 budget amps yes, but not the reissue line that is built much better.

Do you just make this stuff up?

And how to you have failures of this magnitude playing in your house? The house band at a local blues jam uses two bone stock Blues Jrs 2x a week from 7pm-midnight where the amps don't get a break. I've known people that toured with their DRRI and SRRIs without having failures of any sort. Yet you playing Madison Square Bedroom have somehow had that kind of failure rate.

You really don't have to make things up to come up with reasons to make posts. It's kinda sad and pathetic given your age.

Archived