Why is PCP called Sherman Hemsley?

Cougar Hunter

• Members

I think it's a way to say "Sherm" without being picked up as easily by cops. I know when I was up to no good there were A LOT of code words you just incorporated into your vocabulary to communicate.

"SHERM-A cigarette or joint of some sort dipped in Phencyclidine more commonly known as PCP, which is then smoked. The name "sherm" was originally coined from, people dipping Nat Sherman cigarettes into liquid PCP. PCP comes as either a white powder or liquid form, the latter given the street name "embalming fluid." There is much confusion over the practice of dipping cigarettes in "embalming fluid" leading some to think that real embalming fluid may actually be used. Smoking actual formaldehyde will cause intoxication, and may cause serious health consequences beyond those of consuming PCP."

• 8 years later...
  • Members

There was a dark brown cigarette like a skinny cigar out called Sherman's in the 1970s that was popular for dipping in PCP and smoking to get high. So the slang for PCP became Sherman's, then Sherm & finally Sherman Hemsley.

mcd-orig.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Members

3rd post:

On 7/25/2012 at 3:11 AM, ss454 said:

I think it's a way to say "Sherm" without being picked up as easily by cops. I know when I was up to no good there were A LOT of code words you just incorporated into your vocabulary to communicate.

"SHERM-A cigarette or joint of some sort dipped in Phencyclidine more commonly known as PCP, which is then smoked. The name "sherm" was originally coined from, people dipping Nat Sherman cigarettes into liquid PCP. PCP comes as either a white powder or liquid form, the latter given the street name "embalming fluid." There is much confusion over the practice of dipping cigarettes in "embalming fluid" leading some to think that real embalming fluid may actually be used. Smoking actual formaldehyde will cause intoxication, and may cause serious health consequences beyond those of consuming PCP."