My vote for best DAW goes to...

OverDriven

• Members

Studio One V2. I've used nearly everything out there, and Ableton has been my go-to DAW for a while because of it's unique and inspiring workflow. I bought Studio One V2 a while ago, but only really started digging in lately. I'm blown away by this DAW. Presonus has REALLY done an incredible job with with software. I haven't found a single weak point yet, and I'm constantly surprised by the amount of thought that went into every facet of the interface. The included plugins sound better than any VSTs I've bought. The compressors and EQs are warm, polished, and seriously punchy. All of my go-to plugins have been unused because I like the built in ones so much better. I'm 100% hooked. I really think any of you who haven't used it should get the demo of the pro version or get the free lite version (yes there is a free version!) and spend a few days with it. That is all.

http://studioone.presonus.com/

Heres the link for the demo:

http://studioone.presonus.com/demo-request/

• Members

Studio One is my favorite too. I used Cakewalk Sonar for years a long time ago, and it was awful. Studio One is stupid easy to use and just flat out works. The mastering tools are great too.

I'm surprised you don't hear more about it. It's damn near flawless.

• Members

I agree, king of the "linear arrangement" DAWs. I still like Ableton for some things, and I'm excited for BitWig, but S1v2 is just solid and super intuitive.

I was excited for Bitwig, but they're taking forever with it and the recent videos show that it's so close to Ableton that it's hard to find a reason to upgrade. The live online jamming feature does sound really cool though.

• Members

Still Prefer X1 Producer since the addition of Pro Channel.

For the money, Studio One V2 is pretty good. After long testing I'd disagree about the included plugs being better than most.

PT plugs are pretty good and very stable, and the Sonitus plugs in CW are also very good. Key with any of them is never over use them or better yet, run them on a bus.

VST Instruments is another thing. I still like Cubase for it's managing of VSTi vs any other daw. That said, I could run SD2, Dimension Pro and others without freezing plugs on X1. That's with a project of 28 tracks of other audio running plugs from buses and Pro Channel. Advantages for 64 bit systems. Another HUGE advantage to Sonar X1PE (for my workflow) are fully customizable screensets (workflow templates). If I'm recording drums I have a screenset for that. Tracking solos or vocal comps, I have screensets for those.

I do like Studio One V2 interface, but these days seems the bakers are kind of copying those things as well as workflow/GUI arrangements. It's still not just the basic Mix and Tracking selection of PT, but imo, I like more workflow options.

• Members

I think Studio One is pretty terrific. The workflow is incredibly intuitive, and it's extremely stable on both Mac and PC. I can't tell you how many times my friend who uses Pro Tools 10 has had it crash on him or lose tracks that were saved in a prior session.

• Members

I've checked it out and it does seem very impressive. I still don't think it quite matches up to Cubase 6 when it comes to VST instrument handling and audio editing features - VariAudio in particular is where Cubase wins hard over other DAWs for me, along with the insane new multitrack drum editing tools - but Studio One is definitely a solid piece of software and probably a lot easier to learn than a lot of the popular DAWs like PT, Logic etc.

• Members

I bought Sonar X1 (studio) when it first came out but I may actually prefer the older versions better....stuff like quantizing and the piano roll in X1 just doesn't seem intuitive at all.

The Yamaha THR10 I just bought came with Cubase 6 though and I am starting to really dig it.

I've certainly never tried enough of them to be able to name one as best, though.

• Members

I've checked it out and it does seem very impressive. I still don't think it quite matches up to Cubase 6 when it comes to VST instrument handling and audio editing features - VariAudio in particular is where Cubase wins hard over other DAWs for me, along with the insane new multitrack drum editing tools - but Studio One is definitely a solid piece of software and probably a lot easier to learn than a lot of the popular DAWs like PT, Logic etc.

As for the variaudio comment, Studio One comes with melodyne built into the program. :thu:

• Members

I bought Sonar X1 (studio) when it first came out but I may actually prefer the older versions better....stuff like quantizing and the piano roll in X1 just doesn't seem intuitive at all.

I also own X1. It's a cluster{censored}. Not sure what they were thinking.

• Members

The Yamaha THR10 I just bought came with Cubase 6 though and I am starting to really dig it.

I've certainly never tried enough of them to be able to name one as best, though.

Cubase is king IMO for any midi and VSTi work. Midi editing tools in most other daws including PT, can't touch Cubase in terms of simplicity and editing.

• Members

I bought Sonar X1 (studio) when it first came out but I may actually prefer the older versions better.
...stuff like quantizing and the piano roll in X1 just doesn't seem intuitive at all.

+1 I went back to Sonar 8.5 and I am very happy with it.

To be honest, I have never even given other DAWs a chance though, I've been working with Sonar for so long it's extremely intuitive for me, so I just stick with that.

• Members

+1 I went back to Sonar 8.5 and I am very happy with it.

To be honest, I have never even given other DAWs a chance though, I've been working with Sonar for so long it's extremely intuitive for me, so I just stick with that.

:thu: and the best DAW is the one you like to use and doesn't get in your way. I used to use the older Sonar before getting X1 and I agree that X1 is a step down.

• Members

:thu:
and the best DAW is the one you like to use and doesn't get in your way. I used to use the older Sonar before getting X1 and I agree that X1 is a step down.

yeah it was a huge disappointment. It's like they took all the feedback from the cakewalk forums and implemented in the worst possible way. I think their intentions were good with the changes, but goddamn what a horrible cluster{censored} X1 is.

• Members

I bought the Pro version during Presonus recent sale. I generally like it, but compared to Reaper, the way takes are recorded in S1V2 is flawed. Unless I'm mistaken, nobody records takes where you have to engage the loop function if you want to record takes.

And if you record your takes in Layers, then the items in the layers are frozen unless you promote them to the main track, where you can move/edit/split etc. You can't do that in the layers.

There are thing in S1V2 that are absolutely great, but the meat and potato aspect of recording takes and editing them is lacking imo.

Archived