My vote for best DAW goes to...

OverDriven

• Members

Any Logic love? Was looking into getting my first DAW setup going soon and that's what I intended to go with

I think that Studio One is heavily inspired by Logic. I haven't used Logic enough to really judge it, but I've heard plenty people say that Studio One is like an improved Logic. It certainly looks similar.

• Members

I bought the Pro version during Presonus recent sale. I generally like it, but compared to Reaper, the way takes are recorded in S1V2 is flawed. Unless I'm mistaken, nobody records takes where you have to engage the loop function if you want to record takes.

And if you record your takes in Layers, then the items in the layers are frozen unless you promote them to the main track, where you can move/edit/split etc. You can't do that in the layers.

There are thing in S1V2 that are absolutely great, but the meat and potato aspect of recording takes and editing them is lacking imo.

Yeah I've heard that this is a problem, and it's going to be addressed in the next version. Not sure why they set it up that way.

• Members

I have heard good things about sudio one too. I am currently using Reaper with a Pro Tools 9 theme and a fair few custom actions and menu sets, could not be happier and dont remember the last time i had a crash, using waves mercury, Slate 4 and Lepou Amp sims, really happy with how my set up is at the moment.

• Members

Is it easy to use?

I've been looking into picking up some stuff to record with lately. I downloaded Audacity and can't make heads or tails of it.

If you've never used a DAW before then you are going to need some tutorials, but you should be up and running quickly. If you already know the general workflow of a linear DAW then you should be able to pick most things up instantly.

• Members

My vote goes to Sonar X1. Anyone that thinks it's difficult just doesn't know how to use it.

Sonar PE Expanded covered a lot of things. IDK I think some were having problems on 32 bit systems, and then others trying to get 32 bit plugs to run on 64 bit. Most of the problems end up as end user hardware issues most of the time. Still needs some work on their midi editors and bring back the midi tools of 8.5 which were more like Cubase. Even to this day, I write/edit midi in Cubase and then export those files to run the plugs in X1PE.

Given what I've done in the Studio One v2 demo, I'd stick with Cubase for midi. I will say Studio One V2 is a step up on PT in the midi edit dept. It has other issues as well. Some already listed here. My concern with Studio One is it being more designed for their hardware mixers/controller. I had some problems with my Mackie UCP. Sonar's ACT modes were perfect for all my hardware controllers.

• Members

If you've never used a DAW before then you are going to need some tutorials, but you should be up and running quickly. If you already know the general workflow of a linear DAW then you should be able to pick most things up instantly.

I've made some listenable recordings with Garage Band before, and spent countless hour with that MTV Music Generator for the PS1 in middle school, but that's about it. So more or less, I'm a dummy with this stuff.

:idk:

I'd just want it to make clips and record songs for my own amusement, not tryna open a studio or anything.

Archived