free drum software/plugins

Y0UNGBL00D

• Members

Drumkit1 has good sounds and is free but is plug n play only, which sucks if you're not good at playing drums on a keyboard.

"A simple VSTi version of the well known drum soundfont by Ken Ardency (used by kind permission of the author).

Small size, big sound; ideal for rock songs. The GUI has no controls, pure plug'n'play."

http://www.maxsynths.com/freeware.html

• Members

When I started out, I was using free drumkit soundfonts. There were some surprisingly decent ones that got the job done. I can't tell you where since it's been years, but do a Google search. Most DAWs will read soundfonts and they can be triggered via MIDI.

• Members

The only one I think sounds ok (and just barely) is this one:

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/drumcore/downloads/

The cymbals are still crap tacular though.

Here is a clip of how the kit sounds (there is only one):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/453334/Drumkit%20examples/Drumcore%203%20free.mp3

not too bad for the stuff im trying to do. not trying to record an album here, maybe some demos if anything :idk:

• Members

I do understand you stated "free" but sersiously i havent found anything worth even downloading and trying. So i feel like im saving you a massive amount of time and hassle in suggesting you drop some coin.

In my honest opinion the only one out there that is worth using at all is Slate 4. I have used Superior extensively and briefly messed with addictive.

Slate EX Pack (which gives you like 24 full kits i believe) is $99 at that price its a no brainer. It is as good as everyone says. Tons of grooves and also midi compatible.

And no i dont swing off Steven Slates dick as my post may suggest, just my honest opinion from almost 2 years of trying to tell myself that slate isnt worth it.

• Members

Shortcircuit is a quite functional sample player and can be used for drums. It doesn't come with samples though and has a higher learning curve, but there are tons of great free samples if you know where to look.

I find Poise by One Small Clue to be a big step up in workflow for pretty cheap. $50? iirc.

• Members

From the sounds of it (trying to avoid MIDI while asking for plugins, hm), you might want to check out audio drumloop libraries instead.

But for what it's worth, getting Toontrack EZDrummer and one or two of the MIDI drum packs from Toontrack will get you started with a VERY solid basis from which to learn the intricacies of programming MIDI drums, finicking with samples and playing with drum production.

And please, pay these guys for their software, it's really good and it really isn't expensive. They deserve your business.

• Members

From the sounds of it (trying to avoid MIDI while asking for plugins, hm), you might want to check out audio drumloop libraries instead.

But for what it's worth, getting Toontrack EZDrummer and one or two of the MIDI drum packs from Toontrack will get you started with a VERY solid basis from which to learn the intricacies of programming MIDI drums, finicking with samples and playing with drum production.

And please, pay these guys for their software, it's really good and it really isn't expensive. They deserve your business.

+1000000

EZDrummer is definitely a good choice, and for metal I highly recommend the Metal Machine EZX!

And definitely pay for the software, as Keith said, those guys need to get paid for their work as we all probably like getting paid for work. :)

• Members

im new to this {censored}. i thought these programs were like drag and drop :lol:

let me rephrase this whole {censored}:

how can i, with my computer, make drum beats that sound better than my broke ass alesis sr16.

• Members

:idk:

im new to this {censored}. i thought these programs were like drag and drop
:lol:

let me rephrase this whole {censored}:

how can i, with my computer, make drum beats that sound better than my broke ass alesis sr16.

EZDrummer for instance comes with lots of MIDI drum beats and fills etc. And, yes, you can drag and drop these beats into a MIDI or VST-instrument track in your DAW.

Alternatively you can program the beats yourself in a MIDI piano roll editor.

What you might want to do when starting out with this is use the MIDI beats that come with the software and change them in the MIDI editor to your liking. By looking into the MIDI editor of those pre-made beats you can also learn a lot about programming drums!

• Members

Slate 4 EX is amazing for $99. You can find free drum loops that SSD will let you sample as well as drag and drop into your DAW just like EZ drummer. Sooner than later you will fin yourself EASILY making your own beats. It's much more intimidating when thinking about it than actually doing it.

Archived