Sundown Amps?

hosebeast

• Members

Can anybody tell me anything about these other than the stuff that already exists online (it's very little)? I know that Dennis Kager started the company after his time at Ampeg and I know that they were supposed to be built really well. Anyway, I used one all summer while on vacation at my friend's house, and I'm thinking about buying it off of him. It's the A100H head and I can get it for $300. Should I do it? I can't price them at all due to there being, again, almost nothing about them online besides vague threads on other boards. Like, can someone explain what the Governor or RMS knobs do in laymen's terms?

Here's the thing:

Sundown%20A100H.jpg

• Members

The "Governor" is a cross-line post-PI master volume control. Basically alters signal's magnitude coming off the phase inverter stage.

The "RMS" is an adjustable cathode resistor of the power tubes. It alters the amp's bias, decreasing headroom (max. output power) while also adding more crossover distortion.

Basically both knobs are sort of "variable output power" controls.

• Members

Thank you, but I have no idea what any of that means really. Care to dumb it down a bit for me?

Reducing overall headroom of the amplifier. Earlier distortion at lower volume levels. In this case, mostly "power amp type" of distortion. You can always just experiment yourself, you know...

• Members

Blast from the past indeed. My guitar teached was an endorsee of theirs back in the day, so I used to play though one at lessons. I was too young and too unaware of what it really was, I never cracked the volume past 1 when playing through it....

Archived