So guys... I need a new modeler and a practice amp...

guitarbilly74

• Members

I want to upgrade my ToneLab for something with better high gain tones. I also need a practice amp for home playing and jams and stuff, because right now the only amp I have is the Laney half-stack and it's overkill for casual jams, open mics and things like that.

I am planning to combine both my needs and get a modeling amp that is capable of recording direct (for quick demos, but decent quality), great high gain tones and enough volume to play small jams. It should be able to go over a drummer, but not necessarily a heavy-hitting drummer, I already have the Laney for the really heavy/loud gigs. Should be small and portable, I'd say 1X12 is ideal.

Price-wise, I'd say about $200-300 new or used would be ideal. Less is better, more is out of question.

So what are my options? Looking at the Fender Mustang at the moment, but open to suggestions.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always thought the vypyrs sounded great for high gain stuff. What about a 6505+ 112?

I will definitely look into the Vypyr. It's so ugly I forgot about it.

The 6505+ would be a great jam amp, but I would still need a modeler for my home made demos, I am tired of mic'ing {censored} up :lol:

• Members

what about the yamaha THR 10? those mustangs are pretty fun too, played one the other day at the local store.

That's the other amp I was seriously looking into, I am just not sure if it would work for live jams.

Also what the difference between the THR10 and THR5? I see they're the same wattage.

• Members

I will definitely look into the Vypyr. It's so ugly I forgot about it.

The 6505+ would be a great jam amp, but I would still need a modeler for my home made demos, I am tired of mic'ing {censored} up
:lol:

you can take the fangs off, without much trouble. They are very good for practice, small gigs(30w & up)

• Members

I think I will go that route. It seems like it's the best bang for the buck (Mustang III). I will stop at GC tonight and give it a serious try.

I've been thinking about the I or II for the house. I just traded my ultimate octave pedal for a boss micro br, so maybe that will do me for late nights at home.

Archived