HNSD

Miter Gauge

• Members

Happy new squirrel day. OK, it happened a few days ago after a thunderstorm destroyed a squirrel nest and it wasn't exactly a happy occurrence but he certainly is a brand new squirrel.

lester.jpg

I've been feeding this guy every few hours and have to set my alarm in the middle of the night. I haven't had to do night feedings in years. I feel like I've gone back in time.

Dudes doing pretty well though and I hope to find a rescue shelter for him ASAP.

• Members

Your saving them and I'm shooting them in my backyard. Little bastards are destroying our shed and digging our yard up. I don't care what they do in the woods but GET OFF MY LAWN

BTW. My grandson takes them and cleans them. He eats these things :freak:

• Members

Your saving them and I'm shooting them in my backyard. Little bastards are destroying our shed and digging our yard up. I don't care what they do in the woods but GET OFF MY LAWN

BTW. My grandson takes them and cleans them. He eats these things
:freak:

Believe me I know exactly what you are saying. Chipmunks are even worse. Still I just couldn't let the little guy lay there and die.

• Members

Hate to tell you man but trying to keep baby animals like that almost NEVER works out. We have tried it with rabbits and birds and they almost always dont make it
:cry:
Good on ya for trying though and you never know. He could make it out fine
:thu:

I agree. All I wanted to do is keep him alive until I could get him to a squirrel rescue place.

• Members

Believe me I know exactly what you are saying. Chipmunks are even worse. Still I just couldn't let the little guy lay there and die.

Ah hell ... I could do that either. I would do the same and THEN let him go 10 miles from my home LOL

• Members

Ah hell ... I could do that either. I would do the same and THEN let him go 10 miles from my home LOL

amen. When I lived in VA I was totally over-run with chipmunks and squirrels which lead to a gathering of hawks and owls. It was like my own version of wild kindom in the back yard. You could go outside in the mornings and hear the song "Circle of Life". Once I even saw some baboon/mandrill looking thing holding a baby lion cub in the air while gazelles grazed in the distant shimmer of the savanna's heat. Oh, and I once caught ebola.

• Members

I found an abandoned baby squirrel as a kid. Raised it to about 1 year old and put it out after doing some training on burying nuts and such. It kept coming by for a while but less and less frequently for a few years just to hang out on the porch with us.

Was not a particularly lovable pet. A bit ornery. Did NOT like strangers and squealed and threw poo at them.

• Members

I found an abandoned baby squirrel as a kid. Raised it to about 1 year old and put it out after doing some training on burying nuts and such. It kept coming by for a while but less and less frequently for a few years just to hang out on the porch with us.

Was not a particularly lovable pet. A bit ornery. Did NOT like strangers and squealed and threw poo at them.

While I endorse the whole "throw poo at strangers" concept I really don't want this guy to become a pet.

• Members

That's a really rad story that he would come by and chill every now and then. The fact that they hate strangers and throw {censored} at them only makes me want a pet squirrel that much more :lol:

I can only assume that everyone who has a pet squirrel is Bob Ross.

• Members

That's a really rad story that he would come by and chill every now and then. The fact that they hate strangers and throw {censored} at them only makes me want a pet squirrel that much more
:lol:

I can only assume that everyone who has a pet squirrel is Bob Ross.

Yeah. Not exactly a friendly pet, more like a cat, even less cuddly than a rat.

Here are some pics.

I'm guessing a few months old there.

bubba3.jpg

Older. He was essentially 'free' at this point. But would come up for some seeds or sometimes in bad weather.

bubba2.jpg

bubba1.jpg

• Members
Yeah. Not exactly a friendly pet, more like a cat, even less cuddly than a rat.

Here are some pics.

I'm guessing a few months old there.

bubba3.jpg

Older. He was essentially 'free' at this point. But would come up for some seeds or sometimes in bad weather.

bubba2.jpg

bubba1.jpg

WOW!

That is cool. Squirells actually kinda scare me. they have massive teeth and claws.

Would this one let you pick it up?

• Members

GEORGE: Boy that bank clock is eight minutes off.

MIRANDA: Then why don't you just run IT over too?

GEORGE: Zing.

MIRANDA: George, what are you doing?

GEORGE: Did you see that? That-that pigeon didn't move! I had to swerve to get out of the way! I saved that pigeon's life!

MIRANDA: What pigeon? You drove right onto that squirrel.

GEORGE: Squirrel? Well, we have no deal with THEM!

MIRANDA: Doctor, is the squirrel going to live?

DOCTOR: There's been massive trauma. We could of course try to save him but it would be costly, difficult and we'd have to send away for some special really tiny instruments.

GEORGE: Well, uh, are there any other options?

DOCTOR: We could put him to sleep.

GEORGE: What might that cost?

DOCTOR: Well, it's by the pound. So ... about 80 cents.

GEORGE: Well? I was just - I'm curious, that's all. We, uh. we'd like you to do everything possible.

DOCTOR: He, um. he's not going to be the same, you know?

GEORGE: yeah. yeah. I know.

• Members

WOW!

That is cool. Squirells actually kinda scare me. they have massive teeth and claws.

Would this one let you pick it up?

Yes. Me and my family could pick it up but I raised it from a baby. It never tried to bite us. It would act aggressive toward people it didn't know. Those are some sharp teeth though, could chew through aluminum cans.

• Members

Update: We got the little guy to the shelter. They said he was strong, energetic and healthy but bitched that we shouldn't have fed him but we did so and in a manner consistant with what a vet told us to do so who knows.

They said, given his condition, he'd more than likely survive.

Archived