Crazy Night In Illinois, Guns and Police

Hardvalve

• Members

This just happened next door to me in North Central Illinois. I have a house here, and my wife, after I have of worked in another city for 6 months, is coming to join me, and I am here to pick her up and our things.

My next door neighbor has been the best neighbor anyone could ask for, has helped us out with everything. Helped install a new furnace, handyman work, and got us a great deal on a new roof. Nicest guy you could ever meet, very religious (but not a jerk about it), and we talk often, and have become friends. I lived in this house for 4 years with him as my neighbor.

I am downstairs logging on to HCAF, going to kill a little time before bed, and I hear a loud commotion outside. I turn on the porch light, and peek my head out the door, and I see 4 cop cars, and 4 cops with guns drawn screaming for someone in my neighbors house to drop the gun. I see my neighbor come outside in his underwear, with his wife and hands raised. They are screaming they have a warrant for his arrest, and is telling them they are at the wrong location, he is not the person they are looking for. After several minutes they began to realize, he is not the guy, and they screwed up.

Apparently they had a warrant for the address several blocks away, same name but SOUTH intead of NORTH, and they came to the wrong address. This is at 11:30 PM. My friend's wife heard a knock, could not see anyone, she went to my neighbor and he got his legal handgun. We have had break ins, and lots of robberies in this {censored}hole of a city (why we are leaving), and he was concerned it was a criminal.

No one was shot, and it became clear that he was not the person and the police were at the wrong address. After things had calmed down, I was outside at this point on my porch. I wanted to take a video with my phone, but in this state it is illegal to videotape the police, and you will be arrested on the spot. They also went into their 6 year olds room, guns drawn, and scared the hell out of him.

Right after the guns were put away, I called 911 and asked for the SGT who was in charge to come down. Wanted to make sure everything was documented, and that it was clear they had harrassed an innocent man and his family. The Sgt was pissed she had to come down, and to say the least not so polite. I WAS polite however, and asked for the names and badge numbers of all the officers involved to document it if there was anything that came out of this at a later time.

Scared the hell out of me, and the first day I have been here in over a month. I know cops have a job to do, and a gun always escalates a situation. Serious bull{censored}, and I know my neighbor is so nice he will just let it go. Make sure you have the {censored}ing address right before doing this {censored} on a work night at 11:30. I have never sued anyone, and not a fan of most crazy litigation, but that {censored} was out of control.

Glad no one was hurt, and hope they catch the actual person who has the warrant. Glad I am leaving this hell hole. {censored} you Rockford. CSB.

• Members

This just happened next door to me in North Central Illinois. I have a house here, and my wife, after I have of worked in another city for 6 months, is coming to join me, and I am here to pick her up and our things.

My next door neighbor has been the best neighbor anyone could ask for, has helped us out with everything. Helped install a new furnace, handyman work, and got us a great deal on a new roof. Nicest guy you could ever meet, very religious (but not a jerk about it), and we talk often, and have become friends. I lived in this house for 4 years with him as my neighbor.

I am downstairs logging on to HCAF, going to kill a little time before bed, and I hear a loud commotion outside. I turn on the porch light, and peek my head out the door, and I see 4 cop cars, and 4 cops with guns drawn screaming for someone in my neighbors house to drop the gun. I see my neighbor come outside in his underwear, with his wife and hands raised. They are screaming they have a warrant for his arrest, and is telling them they are at the wrong location, he is not the person they are looking for. After several minutes they began to realize, he is not the guy, and they screwed up.

Apparently they had a warrant for the address several blocks away, same name but SOUTH intead of NORTH, and they came to the wrong address. This is at 11:30 PM. My friend's wife heard a knock, could not see anyone, she went to my neighbor and he got his legal handgun. We have had break ins, and lots of robberies in this {censored}hole of a city (why we are leaving), and he was concerned it was a criminal.

No one was shot, and it became clear that he was not the person and the police were at the wrong address. After things had calmed down, I was outside at this point on my porch. I wanted to take a video with my phone, but in this state it is illegal to videotape the police, and you will be arrested on the spot. They also went into their 6 year olds room, guns drawn, and scared the hell out of him.

Right after the guns were put away, I called 911 and asked for the SGT who was in charge to come down. Wanted to make sure everything was documented, and that it was clear they had harrassed an innocent man and his family. The Sgt was pissed she had to come down, and to say the least not so polite. I WAS polite however, and asked for the names and badge numbers of all the officers involved to document it if there was anything that came out of this at a later time.

Scared the hell out of me, and the first day I have been here in over a month. I know cops have a job to do, and a gun always escalates a situation. Serious bull{censored}, and I know my neighbor is so nice he will just let it go. Make sure you have the {censored}ing address right before doing this {censored} on a work night at 11:30. I have never sued anyone, and not a fan of most crazy litigation, but that {censored} was out of control.

Glad no one was hurt, and hope they catch the actual person who has the warrant. Glad I am leaving this hell hole. {censored} you Rockford. CSB.

Be glad it wasn't a no-knock warrant. Those are currently en-vogue around here due to the Mexican Cartel guys and lab operators being so dangerous.

• Members

No one was shot, and it became clear that he was not the person and the police were at the wrong address. After things had calmed down, I was outside at this point on my porch. I wanted to take a video with my phone, but in this state
it is illegal to videotape the police, and you will be arrested on the spot.
They also went into their 6 year olds room, guns drawn, and scared the hell out of him.

I love We Are Change for this very reason... they give no {censored}s.

• Members

No one was shot, and it became clear that he was not the person and the police were at the wrong address. After things had calmed down, I was outside at this point on my porch.
I wanted to take a video with my phone, but in this state it is illegal to videotape the police, and you will be arrested on the spot
. They also went into their 6 year olds room, guns drawn, and scared the hell out of him.

No it isn't. And you couldn't sue anyway. You have no standing. If those people wanted to sue, they could, but they'd probably lose if the officers were acting in good faith. If they are yelling at him to drop the gun, they must have seen his gun that you say he went and got. Sorry, man, but he escalated the situation, it sounds like. And you don't call 911 to request a supervisor. 911 is for emergencies. I'd imagine that's part of the reason the Sergeant was a little pissy.

• Members

The video/audio recording thing varies by state - I know that Illinois requires two party consent for audio recording, but I'm not sure it extends to video in public areas. Either way, nuts. What city, if you don't mind me asking? I used to live outside of Charleston, and there are plenty of places in Illinois that I'd be fine never seeing again.

• Members

My bass player fell asleep on the red line here in Chicago and took it to the end of the line on the south side. He was robbed at gunpoint nearly the second he got off the train. He said he played dumb and started speaking polish and after giving up his wallet they took off. Didn't want his iphone though cause of the cracked screen :o

• Members

No it isn't. And you couldn't sue anyway. You have no standing. If those people wanted to sue, they could, but they'd probably lose if the officers were acting in good faith. If they are yelling at him to drop the gun, they must have seen his gun that you say he went and got. Sorry, man, but he escalated the situation, it sounds like. And you don't call 911 to request a supervisor. 911 is for emergencies. I'd imagine that's part of the reason the Sergeant was a little pissy.

I figured you would come in and defend them. I would not sue, but he could. She admitted the officers had the wrong address, not the warrant being wrong. He has a glass front door, and they could see him. As soon as he realized it was the police, he stopped what he was doing. I called the supervisor, and would do it again the same way to make sure this was escalated. It is 100% still illegal to videotape the police in Illinois. Has not been overturned yet.

• Members

I figured you would come in and defend them. I would not sue, but he could. She admitted the officers had the wrong address, not the warrant being wrong. He has a glass front door, and they could see him. As soon as he realized it was the police, he stopped what he was doing. I called the supervisor, and would do it again the same way to make sure this was escalated. It is 100% still illegal to videotape the police in Illinois. Has not been overturned yet.

It has never been illegal to videotape police in Illinois. It has been illegal to audio record ANYONE without their consent, but the law has been changed recently and there has been a recent court decision handed down specifically addressing audio recording of police.

But anyway...the situation you describe happens on occasion. No one was hurt, I assume, or you would have said something. No one was arrested unlawfully. They went to that address, for whatever reason, and were met by a man with a gun. They reacted accordingly. Sounds like the situation was resolved successfully. Then a busybody neighbor decides to tie up an emergency line to request a supervisor to speak with about a situation which was none of his business. Problem?

• Members

Tons more videos just like this out there. They're the government, good luck fighting it.

They'll be exonerated in court if they fight it. They'll get to sue for a whole host of civil rights violations and probably never need to work a day again due to the settlement. Out here on the West Coast it's been done to death. Many of the police agencies are starting to carry their own lapel cameras to augment the car cameras so there's a public record of everything and everything's above board.

• Members

It has never been illegal to videotape police in Illinois. It has been illegal to
audio record
ANYONE without their consent, but the law has been changed recently and there has been a recent court decision handed down specifically addressing audio recording of police.

But anyway...the situation you describe happens on occasion. No one was hurt, I assume, or you would have said something. No one was arrested unlawfully. They went to that address, for whatever reason, and were met by a man with a gun. They reacted accordingly. Sounds like the situation was resolved successfully. Then a busybody neighbor decides to tie up an emergency line to request a supervisor to speak with about a situation which was none of his business. Problem?

Everyone makes mistakes. My only issue is no-knock drug warrants when they get the wrong address. That's been a problem out here in the land of big green buds.

• Members

Everyone makes mistakes. My only issue is no-knock drug warrants when they get the wrong address. That's been a problem out here in the land of big green buds.

Well, there's no such thing as a "no-knock arrest warrant," which is the issue here.

• Members

No one was hurt, and I would call out the supervisor exactly the same way. Not sure what city you are in Hapless, but Rockford. Is known for for their incompetence, and some crazy stuff has happened around here. How do we hold them accountable? What if this went another way? Never forget this the city where someone robbed a bank and got away on a bicycle. Never caught. I am sure you are a good officer, but no guarantee these people were. Mix ups can happen. Maybe check the address 2 times before showing up like that. Say what you will but this was incompetence, and poor police work. I.will continue to be a nosey neighbor, and 0 regrets what I did. Glad I am leaving this {censored}hole, and soon the state. Iowa is much better.

• Members

No one was hurt, and I would call out the supervisor exactly the same way. Not sure what city you are in Hapless, but Rockford. Is known for for their incompetence, and some crazy stuff has happened around here. How do we hold them accountable? What if this went another way? Never forget this the city where someone robbed a bank and got away on a bicycle. Never caught. I am sure you are a good officer, but no guarantee these people were. Mix ups can happen. Maybe check the address 2 times before showing up like that. Say what you will but this was incompetence, and poor police work. I.will continue to be a nosey neighbor, and 0 regrets what I did. Glad I am leaving this {censored}hole, and soon the state. Iowa is much better.

I've heard some things about Rockford, so I don't doubt you. However, 911 is reserved for emergencies. When you call 911 with a non-emergency, you tie up one of a finite number of lines. I'm not saying you shouldn't have called to speak with a supervisor. That's your right. I disagree with calling 911 to request them. Look up the non-emergency number and call that. It all rings to the same dispatch center, and you aren't tying up a line which could otherwise be used by someone with a legitimate emergency.

My question is, were they sent to this address, or was it a self-initiated attempt to pickup a wanted person? Were 4 officers initially sent, or did others show up when the gun came into play? Once the gun came into play, the situation changed dramatically, I imagine.

• Members

I've heard some things about Rockford, so I don't doubt you. However, 911 is reserved for emergencies. When you call 911 with a non-emergency, you tie up one of a finite number of lines. I'm not saying you shouldn't have called to speak with a supervisor. That's your right. I disagree with calling 911 to request them. Look up the non-emergency number and call that. It all rings to the same dispatch center, and you aren't tying up a line which could otherwise be used by someone with a legitimate emergency.

My question is, were they sent to this address, or was it a self-initiated attempt to pickup a wanted person? Were 4 officers initially sent, or did others show up when the gun came into play? Once the gun came into play, the situation changed dramatically, I imagine.

They all were there to begin with. Perhaps I should not have used 911, but it all happened super fast, and I don't know the non police emergency # as I rarely contact them. This was a self initiated warrant, no one was called out, or if they were, again to the wrong address. My neighbor was told (found this out this morning), that the guy was wanted on a speeding violation. I am sure they just told him that, as who the hell would send 4 cars, and 4 cops to arrest someone for that. Yes, and if he had been able to see them, that never would have happened with the gun. I know it is standard to not stand in front of a door when serving a warrant. Just someone thinking the worst, and the police responding. He is a former MP with the army, along with his wife. Rockford has one of the worst crime rates per capita in the US, and he was just looking out for his family. I am in no way saying the police acted poorly given the escalation. I AM saying please check the damn address to make sure it is correct. When I wrote this I was still pretty pissed, and jacked a bit from adrenalin.

• Members

They all were there to begin with. Perhaps I should not have used 911, but it all happened super fast, and I don't know the non police emergency # as I rarely contact them. This was a self initiated warrant, no one was called out, or if they were, again to the wrong address. My neighbor was told (found this out this morning), that the guy was wanted on a speeding violation. I am sure they just told him that, as who the hell would send 4 cars, and 4 cops to arrest someone for that. Yes, and if he had been able to see them, that never would have happened with the gun. I know it is standard to not stand in front of a door when serving a warrant. Just someone thinking the worst, and the police responding. He is a former MP with the army, along with his wife. Rockford has one of the worst crime rates per capita in the US, and he was just looking out for his family. I am in no way saying the police acted poorly given the escalation. I AM saying please check the damn address to make sure it is correct. When I wrote this I was still pretty pissed, and jacked a bit from adrenalin.

Does Rockford have two man units or one man units?

Archived