Anxiety..?

Slaymoar

• Members

This just isn't true. Many can't deal with it any other way since everybody's got their own cross to bear. I've got family members in healthcare, and lots of people just don't have the tools to do it without. Drugs are part of the solution, but they may also be a necessary part. There's no shame in it if it helps improve your quality of life.

+1

I've grown used to people offering me their opinion on how I just need to keep working out and thinking positively and my depression and anxiety will *poof* disappear.

My GP put it best when we were discussing it: "Would you tell a diabetic to run around the fucking block and think positively to cure their illness?" :D

It never ceases to amaze me that some people STILL don't view depression as a legitimate illness. These same people have no problem identifying Alzheimer's as an illness of the brain that effects the sufferer's psychology and physiology.

My brain doesn't make enough serotonin and the little it produces isn't processed the same as a "normal" brain.

Plus, people have been studying depression (or melancholy) for thousands of years. Hippocrates (of the Hippocratic oath) was the first to formally describe the symptoms of depression. He lived from 470 - 360 BCE.

• Members

+1

I've grown used to people offering me their opinion on how I just need to keep working out and thinking positively and my depression and anxiety will *poof* disappear.

My GP put it best when we were discussing it: "Would you tell a diabetic to run around the fucking block and think positively to cure their illness?"
:D

It never ceases to amaze me that some people STILL don't view depression as a legitimate illness. These same people have no problem identifying Alzheimer's as an illness of the brain that effects the sufferer's psychology and physiology.

My brain doesn't make enough serotonin and the little it produces isn't processed the same as a "normal" brain.

Plus, people have been studying depression (or melancholy) for thousands of years. Hippocrates (of the Hippocratic oath) was the first to formally describe the symptoms of depression. He lived from 470 - 360 BCE.

I hate depression/anxiety. Some of the triggers are so stupid and annoying, and they ruin EVERYTHING. Its so frustrating to know everything would be fine otherwise.

• Members

This just isn't true. Many can't deal with it any other way since everybody's got their own cross to bear. I've got family members in healthcare, and lots of people just don't have the tools to do it without. Drugs are part of the solution, but they may also be a necessary part. There's no shame in it if it helps improve your quality of life.

well put. I have struggled on and off with it most of mylife. Last few years i've had it in check. Celexa did it for me. It clicked something in my brain that allowed me to say "{censored} it, i'm me, deal with it" which is all most of us really want anyway.

I have also taken benzos and whatnot in the past, and while they work, not something i ever want to take long term again

good luck everybody

• Members

I'm not trying to be a cork here, but it'll come off like it... what do you have to be anxious about? Are you in a war torn country where you dodge snipers, land mines, flame throwers on a daily basis? Have you survived burns over 95% of your body in said war torn country? Have you lost all your limbs to a flesh eating virus after sustaining injuries in that war torn country? Is the mob coming after you for six figures that you blew on coke and hookers?

Psychologists love to cater to these things, it is how they make their money.

There are simple choices, their outcome is definite and predictable. You either take control or you're taken control of, really. All my psychiatry courses (years of them) have always boiled down to that. Yes there are factors that add to or against, but when it comes right down to it, the ability to deal with anything comes from within you and not from a prescription.

You're suffering from first world problems and your ability to cope/deal with adversity needs to improve.

I don't mean for that to read as hard as it does.

Derek

• Members

I'm not trying to be a cork here, but it'll come off like it... what do you have to be anxious about? Are you in a war torn country where you dodge snipers, land mines, flame throwers on a daily basis? Have you survived burns over 95% of your body in said war torn country? Have you lost all your limbs to a flesh eating virus after sustaining injuries in that war torn country? Is the mob coming after you for six figures that you blew on coke and hookers?

There are simple choices, their outcome is definite and predictable. You either take control or you're taken control of, really. All my psychiatry courses (years of them) have always boiled down to that. Yes there are factors that add to or against, but when it comes right down to it, the ability to deal with anything comes from within you and not from a prescription.

You're suffering from first world problems and your ability to cope/deal with adversity needs to improve.

Derek

Do you know the difference between psychology and psychiatry?

• Members

Derek

You don't have a {censored}ing clue what you're talking about.

Clinical depression and anxiety disorders are disorders of the brain. It has nothing to do with your life situation, how much money you make or what you do for a living.

Ernest Hemingway won the Nobel Prize for literature. He blew his head off with a shotgun.

Winston Churchill was one of the most influential politicians of all time. He also won a Nobel Prize. He was confined to bed for weeks when -- as he put it -- the "black dogs" were circling.

Buzz Aldrin was the second person to set foot on the moon. He must have been ecstatic, right? Wrong. Depression and subsequent addiction problems.

Samuel Johnson compiled the first comprehensive English dictionary and was the toast of London. He too spent weeks at a time in bed with depression.

I have a great family, wonderful wife and daughter, a beautiful home and, when I'm well, a successful career. But I still have major depressive disorder -- that's because it's my brain, not external circumstances, that triggers my breakdowns.

Would you tell a person with cancer they should just get over it and not take medication?

First world problem -- Jesus H. Ignorant people like you really make it hard for those who suffer from mental illness to escape the stigma that goes along with it.

You should have written, " I don't mean for that to read as stupidly as it does."

• Members

Derek

Dude, you have no clue what your talking about lol.

• Members

Anyone here deal with anxiety? I've had anxiety since I was 12. Most of the time, it's not there. But when it flares up, it REALLY sucks the life outa me. I just want to sit at home and do nothing. Everything feels like 10x the work and any obstacle brings more anxiety. I worry about everything, no matter how small or irrational. Just a general crippling sense in my body and ruins everything; work, home, social life etc.. Man I hate going through this.
Back on the meds apparently
:facepalm:

one thing i have to say about anxiety and taking medications to treat it is this.

Have fun with your modern day lobotomy.

Truth is?..........

your a miserable excuse for a human being and the faster you learn that, the more youll learn to cope with what makes you a piece of shit and hopefully make the adjustments to your behavior and destroy the puny man you were(or puny man you are).

• Members

Truth is?..........

your a miserable excuse for a human being and the faster you learn that, the more youll learn to cope with what makes you a piece of {censored} and hopefully make the adjustments to your behavior and destroy the puny man you were(or puny man you are).

I do have flaws...

• Members

I would think you are suffering from depression and your depression is causing the anxiety in your life. I felt the same way many years ago and I've been on Prozac for a long time. My ups and downs are very rare anymore. Go to the doctor.

tried CITALOPRAM for while...made me lazy.....does PROZAC do that to you?

to the OP, thinkin' of you bro

take care

• Members

I can say that I have problems... I have taken things off and on (Paxil, Xanax) and they don't seem to do much, so I generally don't take anything.

I do sort of agree with some of the statements above about changing the way you think about the things, and how you react to the world around you. I have been able to pretty much get rid of panic attacks and just going crazy by not worrying about stupid things I cant control. However, I cant say that is the cure-all. I still feel spacey a lot and have OCD tendencies. I have thought about looking into that, but I feel that is my power to destroy my competition in the job world :lol: I hate to lose that...mind running a mile-a-minute constantly....

I also agree that I tend to be worse when allergies/sinus issues are high. I tend to feel extra spacey and out there during those times of the year...

• Members

Oh man, I do understand. Intermitantly some minor issue will send me off the deep end. My MO I wake up early in the morning and from the minute I open my eyes I can feel the life crushing anxiety start to ramp up. All I can do is huddle on the couch and shiver. The minutes crawl past like hours. Horrific anxiety.

I have to caution you against long term dependence on benzo's like ativan. I got addicted to those things and they literally took over my life. Withdrawl was, again horrific living hell. At the end of every month I would be calling my doc and the pharmacy to make sure I wouldn't run out. Sheer panic.

I was finally diagnosed with adult add. Been taking an antidepressant and Strattera for a few months now. I've been much more calm and able to function in a much more focused way.

Be very very careful if your doc prescribes benzo's. Short term only. It doesn't take long to get addicted.

Archived