NAD: I am disappoint.

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Might I suggest trying a Laney GH50L
:thu:

Obviously you're good with what you got and aren't in any real need. I just couldn't help myself. Several of us here recommend the Laney for stout aggressive in amp gain that isn't dark or muddy.

I'm not exactly playing metal or anything......it's more of a hardcore, post punk, space rock/metal thing......hard to describe.

Actually, I just joined the band, and they have like 2.5 albums of stuff......which is mostly big muff tones.....

The other guitar player has a fat fuzzed out tone. The JTM is nice and crunchy and mixes well, but alone or playing under a solo and can sound a little thin.

....which is why I have a Earthbound Supercollider.......cool muff tones, but chuggable.

I'll check out the GH50L, I don't think I knew they existed. :o

• Members

I'm not exactly playing metal or anything......it's more of a hardcore, post punk, space rock/metal thing......hard to describe.

Actually, I just joined the band, and they have like 2.5 albums of stuff......which is mostly big muff tones.....

The other guitar player has a fat fuzzed out tone. The JTM is nice and crunchy and mixes well, but alone or playing under a solo and can sound a little thin.

....which is why I have a Earthbound Supercollider.......cool muff tones, but chuggable.

I'll check out the GH50L, I don't think I knew they existed.
:o

I'm not a real metal guy, or "brutal". The Laney is definitely heavy and aggressive enough to get into those genres but it's voicing is just a bit more on the classic side, like a hot rodded Marshall but with a slightly different voicing focused more in the low mids. That particular amp is very versatile for various genres of hard rock/metal.

• Members

I'll check out the GH50L, I don't think I knew they existed.
:o

It sounds like you already have a rig that works.

• Members

You bought the wrong amp if you want a nice tight distortion. Not trying to be a dick i've been down this road and eventually sold my 3 channel Dual Rec because i just didn't like it. The dist is just to loose particularly on the bottom end . You can make them sound better but you will need a tubescreamer and an EQ for a super tight Megadeth thrash metal tone. Mark series amps are a different matter and are great for anything really.

• Members

You bought the wrong amp if you want a nice tight distortion. Not trying to be a dick i've been down this road and eventually sold my 3 channel Dual Rec because i just didn't like it. The dist is just to loose particularly on the bottom end . You can make them sound better but you will need a tubescreamer and an EQ for a super tight Megadeth thrash metal tone. Mark series amps are a different matter and are great for anything really.

It's all good.

I don't mind the looseness........even though my other rig is tight. It's the clarity that gets me the most......turn down the gain, and it sounds whimpy......turn up the gain and it sounds badass but a blurry slurry of tone.

I have to try greenbacks too.......since I have the option.

I think boosting will help a lot. I'm not using hot pickups or anything either.

• Members

It's all good.

I don't mind the looseness........even though my other rig is tight. It's the clarity that gets me the most......turn down the gain, and it sounds whimpy......turn up the gain and it sounds badass but a blurry slurry of tone.

I think i like the Single's's tone better than a dual rec so boost it with a tubescreamer and it's a great amp just not my favorite. Treat yourself to some new tubes to.

• Members

It's all good.

You've definitely got to boost it. It hit mine with 10db of mid boost from my Radial Switchbone, and then a Maxon OD-808 on top of that. That setup sounded better than a JMP-1/VHT 2/50/2 setup I had for a few days A/B'd against it.

• Members

I had some EH 6CA7s that I tried, a tung sol AX7 and some old Phillips ax7.

The amp had GT EL34s of unknown age, and Mesa preamp tubes. Russian 1s, whatever that means.

I don't like any of those tubes. I'm referring specifically to brand, with the exception of the Phillips :thu:

EH 6CA7's aren't "real" 6CA7's like the old European production ones. Try JJ's if you like 6CA7's, and maybe 6L6 while you're at it.

• Members

FWIW I preferred my old Dual with the treble off also. Really got rid of the compressed feeling of the amp. However once I got rid of it and bought a Stiletto Ace I finally found my Mesa. If you're not digging it try a Stiletto. I'm betting you'll much prefer it. Especially since you seem to be a Marshall sort of guy anyways. ;)

• Members

FWIW I preferred my old Dual with the treble off also. Really got rid of the compressed feeling of the amp. However once I got rid of it and bought a Stiletto Ace I finally found my Mesa. If you're not digging it try a Stiletto. I'm betting you'll much prefer it. Especially since you seem to be a Marshall sort of guy anyways.
;)

Yeah, I guess I'm a Marshall high gain guy.....at least in the mids. I've only owned one real Marshall in my life, and that was a Jubilee.....

In general, I'm not an actual Marshall fan.......but I've had a few "copies". Randal RGT100ES, Laney AOR, Soldano Hot Rod......

I'm not really a high gain guy, even though the band I'm in requires that sort of tone.

I'm more of a non-master volume amp guy with a few lower gain pedals out front.

I wasn't prepared for the Mesa to be so scooped. :freak:

After spending more time with the Single, I'm liking it more and more.

all the knobs at noon isn't the best settings on the gain channel for me.

I could see it kicking ass for recording....make everything sound huge.

I have it up for sale, but am probably going to wait until I can try it out at practice. That's the real deal maker/breaker.

• Members

Okay, I didn't go through all the pages of this thread (just the first page), so forgive me if I'm requoting someone's advice. A few things to understand about dialing in a Recto (which I consider one of the required tones for modern high gain.

The Mesa has global tone controls, which means as you goose one of the values, it diminishes which means if you crank one of the knobs (let's say the Treble), all the other settings suddenly fade into the background to allow the treble to shine through. The lesson? Never run any of your controls past 2 o'clock max! It will starve the other controls, and therefore ruin your efforts at dialing in a great tone.

Adjust your settings in the order of most power to least powerful. Set all your controls in this order... Gain-Treble-Bass-Mids-Presence. This isn't a Marshall. You have to boost and cut the controls to get where you want to be, and the smallest changes make a huge difference.

Go to the Mesa website and pull up the user manual for your amp and check out where each knob's sweet spot is. I'm not going to post my settings because they change ever so slightly depending on where I'm playing and what guitar I'm using. You can google your favorite artist's settings and use them as a "jump off point" for your own.

Oh, and if the amp seems too dark, make sure you select "bold" and "diodes"....

Good luck!'nn

Archived