NAD: I am disappoint.

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with your overall assessment. To me, Rectos tend to be muddy IMO. Obviously a lot of people make them sound good though.

I know people who literally spent hours a day for 2 weeks tweaking them. So I wouldn't expect it to sound great right out of the box.

Yeah, but how can it be that hard? I mean, there are a lot of combinations and factors, but you'd think it you'd stumble upon a good combination.

I basically tweaked the treble, then the other controls for at least 2 hours.

There were good tones in there, but not what I was looking for.

• Members
I'm using a VFE dual pedal (Firey Red Horse (muff), and Alpha Dog (RAT)) and a Earthbound Supercollider.

Hey, a fellow VFE fan (I rock the Pale Horse od) ~ cool! I've been very curious about the Alpha Dog, too. Think I'd like a dual pedal with the Pale Horse & maybe the Apha Dog or the Dark Horse for the high gain side... :idk:

PS: shoulda bought your Speedtwin instead.
:o

I've got no takers yet ... Sell that Mesa & then pm me, bro! :D

• Members

Hey, a fellow VFE fan (I rock the Pale Horse od) ~ cool! I've been very curious about the Alpha Dog, too. Think I'd like a dual pedal with the Pale Horse & maybe the Apha Dog or the Dark Horse for the high gain side...
:idk:

I picked it up used....so I didn't get to choose. Both sound great. tweakable, but still has a unique voice. Probably a little smoother overall at higher gain tones..........the Firey compared to the Supercollider is drastically different.

That sounds like a good combo. I'd like to try more VFE pedals. I also have the Distortion3....which sounds cool too, but not exactly what I need for the band right now.

I've got no takers yet ... Sell that Mesa & then pm me, bro!
:D

It's up for sale. :D

I will keep you posted.

• Members

Good advice so far.

Definitely plus one on that treble knob. Think of it like an overall tone control, and the other controls are just kinda dancing around it.

Using less gain than you think you need is also a great call.

Are you playing it at volume? It will assuredly sound awful when quiet... just awful.

But DEFINITELY replace the preamp tubes. I have never purchased a used tube amp and not done this. Heh, when I got my stiletto, it had about half the gain of a stock tube screamer on the fluid drive (highest gain) channel. Replaced the tubes and bam. Perfect.

• Members

I'm definitely going to try to get it to work......but I hope it sells first.

I'll try messing with the controls more, and try boosting it.

I was using it at moderate volumes....not ultra loud, but loud enough to feel it. :thu:

The 1/3-1/5 second channel switching delay is {censored}ing annoying too.

There's probably nothing wrong with it but me the user, and my tonal preferences.

• Members

I was using it at moderate volumes....not ultra loud, but loud enough to feel it.
:thu:

There's probably nothing wrong with it but me the user, and my tonal preferences.

Yeah, I mean if you don't like it, then you don't like it. {censored} :whisper:I don't care for 5150's :idk:

But I I highly suggest trying some new preamp tubes. Tube roll a little and see what happens. It could make all the difference in the world. A bad 12AX7 can {censored} in your cereal hardcore. Though having owned VHT's and Matamps... I'm sure you know this. :)

• Members

I was using it at moderate volumes....not ultra loud, but loud enough to feel it.
:thu:

Yeah, I mean if you don't like it, then you don't like it. {censored} :whisper:I don't care for 5150's :idk:

But I I highly suggest trying some new preamp tubes. Tube roll a little and see what happens. It could make all the difference in the world. A bad 12AX7 can {censored} in your cereal hardcore. Though having owned VHT's and Matamps... I'm sure you know this. :)

• Members

That's the recto tone. It's a very busy and hazy sounding distortion. Boosting helps, although it will always have a mid hole and sound unclear and wide compared to other amps like Marshalls. I run mine next to a Marshall for the best of both worlds. The Mesa provides the width and the Marshall fills in the hard mids.

Pretty much this. I have tried so many times to like Recto's, but in the end I just can't. Also the fact that you have been playing the JTM probably has spoiled you. Marshall's are just so much easier to dial in and very hard to make sound bad. I have heard Recto's sound great, but not for me. I had a Trem O Verb with EL34's and I miss that one, but it to could get flubby also. A boost does help, but I prefer the amps core tone to not need a boost to sound good.

• Members

Back to the drawing board
:idk:

I'd try various pre-amp tube/speaker combinations wherever affordable enough to do so, but you might just have start over again and look for an amp that better suits what you are looking for.

Nah, I'm okay with using the JTM as I have been for a while, it does sound good........The Matamp is amazing too, but I have a phobia about taking it out and about.

I think I sold so much stuff, haven't purchased anything for so long, and really wanted something with killer in amp gain......on paper it seemed like the right choice.

I'm sure I could still make it work, if I really had that desire.

I'll give it a few more days and try some things and see what I come up with. I haven't tried boosting or outboard EQ'ing it at all.

• Members

really wanted something with killer in amp gain

Might I suggest trying a Laney GH50L :thu:

Obviously you're good with what you got and aren't in any real need. I just couldn't help myself. Several of us here recommend the Laney for stout aggressive in amp gain that isn't dark or muddy.

Archived