Old news is old, but I just started playing Morrowind

decode6

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanO

View Post

I tried Morrowind several times. I've probably put ~20 hours into it over the course of several sittings. Nothing ever grabbed me. The story, the gameplay, the pacing... The game is well put-together, but it's still crap. I don't mind taking time to dig into a game, to find direction, understand the world, become informed on various factions, tactics, equipment, and so forth. I enjoy it, actually. But so help me, Bethesda keeps forgetting to make the games fun. Fallout New Vegas has been the closest, but still off the mark.

This is sorta how I felt about Skyrim but I loved Morrowind.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9

View Post

Yeah, that was cool about the loot. Except nothing pissed me off more than getting some daedric axe worth 50k and having NO WHERE to sell it. mad.gif Why give me cool stuff if I can't get big monies for it? cry.gif

Dude!! Find a merchant that has about 2k or more in cash - I used the Redguard in the Fighter's Guild in Balmora. If you have an item that sells for more than the merchant has, put the item up for trade and also buy everything that person has until you get the transaction down to the merchant's limit. Now you have 2k+ and a bunch of lesser items. Wait 24 hours and the merchant's funds will be replenished. Sell all that junk until he can't buy anymore. Wait 24 hours. Rinse. Repeat.

Of course, you want max rep with the guy, and having a high personality and mercantile will allow you to reap the most coin from your high-priced items. Also, you might not get the full price of a 50k item until that merchant has a plethora of big-ticket items you've already sold him. The idea is to use this trick with a lot of 2k+ items; and then when you get a 10k+ item, you can buy back all that 1k/2k/3k stuff and get the full amount from your item.

(Also, I think that mudcrab merchant has deep pockets. I never found him, though.)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RiffDaemon

View Post

Dude!! Find a merchant that has about 2k or more in cash - I used the Redguard in the Fighter's Guild in Balmora. If you have an item that sells for more than the merchant has, put the item up for trade and also buy everything that person has until you get the transaction down to the merchant's limit. Now you have 2k+ and a bunch of lesser items. Wait 24 hours and the merchant's funds will be replenished. Sell all that junk until he can't buy anymore. Wait 24 hours. Rinse. Repeat.

Of course, you want max rep with the guy, and having a high personality and mercantile will allow you to reap the most coin from your high-priced items. Also, you might not get the full price of a 50k item until that merchant has a plethora of big-ticket items you've already sold him. The idea is to use this trick with a lot of 2k+ items; and then when you get a 10k+ item, you can buy back all that 1k/2k/3k stuff and get the full amount from your item.

(Also, I think that mudcrab merchant has deep pockets. I never found him, though.)

That sounds like effort. Whining is much easier.

icon_lol.gif

Thanks. thumb.gif

• Members

Morrowind is one of the greatest games of all time. It's probably my fifth favorite game ever. Playing it with the overhaul is especially awesome (since, trying to play it today with the original graphics can be a bit of a drag - being old-ish and all).

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was kinda' crap when it came out but it also has been overhauled enough (both graphics and gameplay) to make it pretty good. Skyrim is great right out of the box, but mods make everything better.

Considering that it's been ten years and Morrowind is STILL the greatest open world single player game ever, it's looking less and less likely that it will have its title taken away any time soon.

• Members

Ah I spent tons of time playing Morrowind...and never did "finish" the game.

I was always irritated at the low sell prices and cliff racers...but there are mods that can change that.

Not sure I should even mention this...but you kind of have to stop yourself from making the game too easy. Not talking crazy mods here, just alchemy.

Look away now....

...ok.

There's a certain place that has a grand master (iirc) alchemy set you can "borrow" without getting you into trouble. It's at the top of a tower in one of the cities...the name escapes me now, it's a medieval one (not balmora).

You have to have some herbs (gather them or buy them) to make the desired potions, and also for fortify intelligence.

Start making a few fortify intelligence potions. Chug a few. You are now pretty smart.

Make a few more intelligence potions. Because you are pretty smart, these will be better potions.

Do this a few times, and you will be a super-genius.

Now make some levitation or any other potion you like. I would gulp one of my "super-fly" potions and swoop around like a helicopter for several minutes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by duncan

View Post

Every character I've ever created:

1) Take Fargoth's ring of healing

2) Travel to Balmora

3) Walk into Nerano Manor

4) Instigate a fight with Nerano

5) Kill him, dispose of body

6) Keep house for all my sweet loot

icon_lol.gif Yep, I use Nerano Manor every time. I even put on sassy nobles' clothing when I'm in the area to flaunt it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by duncan

View Post

Every character I've ever created:

1) Take Fargoth's ring of healing

2) Travel to Balmora

3) Walk into Nerano Manor

4) Instigate a fight with Nerano

5) Kill him, dispose of body

6) Keep house for all my sweet loot

Does Nerano Manor have chests so I can store swords and {censored}?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Strenge

View Post

Not sure I should even mention this...but you kind of have to stop yourself from making the game too easy.

This goes for almost all open world games. For instance, I'm 120 hours into Skyrim and I STILL have a good 20% of the map to reveal - yet I can already defeat everything no problem. Then game really doesn't present any challenge at this point, but I can't convince myself to just end it already. I need to do 'everything' there is to do.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Two Tone

View Post

This goes for almost all open world games. For instance, I'm 120 hours into Skyrim and I STILL have a good 20% of the map to reveal - yet I can already defeat everything no problem. Then game really doesn't present any challenge at this point, but I can't convince myself to just end it already. I need to do 'everything' there is to do.

I spent a very long time leveling up a character in Oblivion and got bored not long after, though I'll probably return to it just to explore. biggrin.gif And I just bought Dark Souls, which I understand may make me quit eventually for the opposite reason of being very difficult. biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by decode6

View Post

Does Nerano Manor have chests so I can store swords and {censored}?

It does. It also has a big circle of tables in the main room that I organize my weapons on (Daedric, Enchanted, Ebony, Glass, etc). I put my armour on the shelves in the main room, clothes in the wardrobe upstairs. So pimp.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica

View Post

I spent a very long time leveling up a character in Oblivion and got bored not long after, though I'll probably return to it just to explore. biggrin.gif And I just bought Dark Souls, which I understand may make me quit eventually for the opposite reason of being very difficult. biggrin.gif

Enjoy it, first play-through is the best smile.gif

Archived