Getting a THD Hot Plate today :)

guitarbilly74

• Members

I used one for almost two years with the Plexi RI I used to own, as well my Superbass. I agree with your review. The first two clicks work well, and the deep/bright switches are cool. Once you get way down though, it becomes a total mess, and mine used to make this weird phasing sound.

I stopped using it when I got the PPIMV installed on the SB. I originally tried using a combination of both but I preferred the more aggressive sound of the master. The Hotplate can really smooth out an amp, if that makes sense.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

View Post

Kick ass, man! I've been wanting one of those for a while! Glad to hear its working for us.

You can have mine if you want it. Its a 4 ohm though. That's the other reason I never use it anymore, my cab is hard wired at 16 cause I got tired of that plastic bull{censored} on the back of Marshall cabs breaking on me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

so I got it last night and had the chance to try it today. I love it. It definitely makes the amp more manageable around the house it I didnt notice any major tonal changes on the -4 and -8 settings. The -12 setting does change the tone a bit but not bad at all. Even the -16 setting is usable. Below that it gets messy but that's a lot more attenuation than I will ever need.

The deep and bright switches and are cool. The deep switch does help to add thump to low volume settings. The bright is a bit harsh but probably useful with a band mix.

The bulbs are awesome too icon_lol.gif Mark told me they weren't working but they work just fine idn_smilie.gif and look cool as hell.

Good, glad you like it. I used one to run a Plexi in a wet/dry rig for years. They are built like tanks. I like the selector switch better than the scratchy control on my MiniMass. They are perfect for what you are planning, light attenuation or used as a load box for reamping. I have mine set to load and connected to a 2266 in this clip. I'm reamping it's line out with a MosValve 1160. Sounds like {censored}? Hell no, I think it sounds great.

• Members

I use them a lot. Attenuators are useful for so much more than taking a cranked tube amp down to bedroom volume. On there own they actually suck at that but set them to load and reamp the signal and they sound good at any volume. They are great tools that open up a world of new connection possibilities. I use my Minimass the same way as my Hotplate to make little amps sound bigger. Everyone thinks about using them to cut volume but they are just as useful for adding volume. Running my little Silvertone this way makes it so much more than it is on it's own.

The one thing I don't like about the hotplate is that it doesn't have a selectable impedance. It really helps to have one that has that flexibility. That is the sole reason I had to buy the Minimass too. I needed something that would work at 4 & 8 ohms for my other amps. I still always go for the THD when I need a 16 ohm unit even though my Weber does that too.

• Members

very cool. I am in the process of rearranging my recording area and gear but I will have some clips soon.

I am ok with the 4ohms fixed impedance since my amp has a 4ohm tap and most of the amps I like and may buy in the future also do. I like the MASS 100 as well but it's acting up at the moment, I need to see if I can fix it so I can have it mounted to my studio rack for recordings and use the THD for live shows or vice-versa.

I will also try to slave the amp into a SS power amp and set up a w/d rig at some point just for the hell of it. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nerine

View Post

The Hot Plate is fine.

It sounds good too.

People who say it sounds {censored} are overlooking a crucial element.

Volume affects the way we hear things.

Guess what?

Your plexi DOES sound like that when it's cranked.

Fletcher-Munson is telling you otherwise. idea.gif

I don't agree though what you say is "true". The plexi doesn't sound like this exactly but if you don't like low volume sounds the hotplate is not to blame. Fletcher munson is one of the reasons. The other one is speaker movement. Some dustcaps pushed affect treble response. Also the magnet of the speaker makes it essentially apart from a reproducer also a generator, consisting of a coil of wire moving in an intense magnetic field. The interesting thing is that as the speaker operates producing sound, it is simultaneously generating what engineers call a

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrima

View Post

Ive just used the stripped down version built into my Univalve. I think it sounds fine and I use it hard when im on the high gain input. Ill put the amp volume at 3:00 and the Hot Plate at 8:00. Its the only way to get good distortion on this amp without pissing off the neighbors since there is no gain knob. Only thing Ive noticed is it seems to shave some high end off, but I can pretty well compensate for it with the treble knob.

I never ever use it with my Univalve. I don't like what it does. The stand alone unit has more options

• Members

Used a Hotplate with a JCM 800 when my band recorded live off the floor, I thought it did a great job..

Yeah I am very impressed with it. I actually think I am getting a better tone with it than without it now. I am using the -8 setting and cranking the amp to 6. It's still loud as hell with this setting (same as I would normally get with the amp on 3 which is my stage volume), but it sounds way fatter and creamier now.

• Members

Yeah I am very impressed with it. I actually think I am getting a better tone with it than without it now. I am using the -8 setting and cranking the amp to 6. It's still loud as hell with this setting (same as I would normally get with the amp on 3 which is my stage volume), but it sounds way fatter and creamier now.

+1 on light attenuation to crank the amp for better overall tone at the desired volume level :thu:

• Members

Yeah that's sweet, working exactly as intended. I also did find the deep switch helpful in getting back some of the oomph that gets lost. This is with your Laney?

Yeah with the GH100L :). I agree about the deep switch, it's voiced perfectly to add thump to the cab, they found a frequency that is JUST right for that.

Archived