Getting a THD Hot Plate today :)

guitarbilly74

• Members

Doing a trade with Mark (samhill) for my DelayLab. I have a Weber attenuator but it's been acting up lately, so this should be cool. I wil mainly use to shave off a few dBs when playing live and to use it as a load box to record my amp with IRs. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I am also buying a MXR Micro Amp from him, it will be cool to have a clean boost smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

well that's encouraging icon_lol.gif

I'll throw an encouraging note into the thread. I have been using various versions of the THD hotplate for 15 years - the same way you described - and they sound fine. You'll probably tweak the amp EQ to compensate a bit but I have been pleased with their performance for low level attenuation. Once you get past that 12 db detent though...blanket city just like sleewell said.

• Members

THD works & sounds just fine, from my personal experience with them. I noticed no tone suck or blanket-type effect with mine at moderate attenuation levels (-4 or -8db). Heck, when I had mine I even liked the full attentuation - the sound and feel of a tube amp at bedroom levels vs a modeler - I'd take the attenuated amp all day (yes, I know it's not the same, but hey, it's a tube amp!). I do regret getting rid of mine.

I'd be interested to hear what comparisons you hear between the Weber and the THD. I've always been tempted by the Weber. Which model do you have?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fridgit

View Post

THD works & sounds just fine, from my personal experience with them. I noticed no tone suck or blanket-type effect with mine at moderate attenuation levels (-4 or -8db). Heck, when I had mine I even liked the full attentuation - the sound and feel of a tube amp at bedroom levels vs a modeler - I'd take the attenuated amp all day (yes, I know it's not the same, but hey, it's a tube amp!). I do regret getting rid of mine.

I'd be interested to hear what comparisons you hear between the Weber and the THD. I've always been tempted by the Weber. Which model do you have?

I have the MASS 100. It's a great unit but it's been cutting in/out recently. It's been used and abused for many years. I was going to get it fixed but had this chance to pick up the Hot Plate on a local trade and decided to just do that instead. I will be using it as a load box for recordings for the most part so as long as it works well for that I am cool.

When I do use an attenuator, normally I only take 4-8dB off and from what I've read it sounds fine with a small amount of attenuation. I also like the {censored}ing BULBS icon_lol.gif That will add a cool touch to the stage show icon_lol.gif

• Members

Ive just used the stripped down version built into my Univalve. I think it sounds fine and I use it hard when im on the high gain input. Ill put the amp volume at 3:00 and the Hot Plate at 8:00. Its the only way to get good distortion on this amp without pissing off the neighbors since there is no gain knob. Only thing Ive noticed is it seems to shave some high end off, but I can pretty well compensate for it with the treble knob.

• Members

I had the weber mass 100 with a SLP and thought it sounded like {censored} (Dull).

Sold it and used my friends 4ohm hotplate and loved it. It was the older one that had mini toggle switches before they went to the black switches.

But that damn light bulb drove me nuts.

• Members

I've had a Hotplate since about when they came out, works great for me, especially w/my AC30 and Plexi, actually have it hooked up to a JCM900 right now, handy for fixing/testing amps.

What do you want for the Mass?

Always wanted to try/experiment on one

• Members

The Hot Plate is fine.

It sounds good too.

People who say it sounds {censored} are overlooking a crucial element.

Volume affects the way we hear things.

Guess what?

Your plexi DOES sound like that when it's cranked.

Fletcher-Munson is telling you otherwise. idea.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nerine

View Post

The Hot Plate is fine.

It sounds good too.

People who say it sounds {censored} are overlooking a crucial element.

Volume affects the way we hear things.

Guess what?

Your plexi DOES sound like that when it's cranked.

Fletcher-Munson is telling you otherwise. idea.gif

^^^

Absolutely agree , and i approve of this message. thumb.gif

• Members

so I got it last night and had the chance to try it today. I love it. It definitely makes the amp more manageable around the house it I didnt notice any major tonal changes on the -4 and -8 settings. The -12 setting does change the tone a bit but not bad at all. Even the -16 setting is usable. Below that it gets messy but that's a lot more attenuation than I will ever need.

The deep and bright switches and are cool. The deep switch does help to add thump to low volume settings. The bright is a bit harsh but probably useful with a band mix.

The bulbs are awesome too icon_lol.gif Mark told me they weren't working but they work just fine idn_smilie.gif and look cool as hell.

I also got a MXR Micro Amp and I really like it, very transparent boost, it adds nothing but gain to the tone so you end up with the same exact tone, just more of it smile.gif {censored}ing cool.

Archived