Lead Boost OD pedal... What are your suggestions???

colejustesen

• Members

I have tried a handful of pedals to boost my amp and currently really am digging my Pro Tone Thruster and my Danalectro Cool Cat Overdrive v.1 and I love what they do for rhythm playing.

The Cool Cat OD sounds similar to an OCD, so it is a bit aggressive sounding and has a bright top end that really cuts through the mix. I figured this would be a good lead pedal, but I am kind of looking for another type of lead boost.

I am wanting to get a pedal that has thicker mids without sounding muddy. I originally thought that a Tube Screamer might work, but all the styles of a tube screamer that I have tried have more high mids [which really cut and sound great] and I was looking for something a bit more smooth and fatter overall.

I have heard great things of the Boss SD-1, but I have never tried one... I have only tried Boss' MT-2 and DS-1 [both were modified by Robert Keeley] and while they sounded good, they weren't quite my style. I was wondering if the SD-1 with a mod [like something from Fromel or the Monte Allum GT Mod] would be my ticket... I was also looking at the BD-2 as well [would probably mod that too]... What do you guys say? Or is there something else worth looking at?

I was hoping for something like the lead guitar in this track...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwOzPaYBhqQ

Thanks wave.gif

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen

View Post

I have tried a handful of pedals to boost my amp and currently really am digging my Pro Tone Thruster and my Danalectro Cool Cat Overdrive v.1 and I love what they do for rhythm playing.

The Cool Cat OD sounds similar to an OCD, so it is a bit aggressive sounding and has a bright top end that really cuts through the mix. I figured this would be a good lead pedal, but I am kind of looking for another type of lead boost.

Does Danelectro actually make good pedals? I had one years ago [can't remember which] and didn't really care for it. Is the Transparent OD any good?

That said, an SD-1 might be good after some mods.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by omni

View Post

Depends if you are running into the loop for a volume boost as well as gain boost or just stepping on a pedal for more distortion for a lead no volume boost.

yep, if you are just slamming more signal into an already overdriven signal, you will get little of no actual volume boost. Just more saturation.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Spaced Out Ace

View Post

Does Danelectro actually make good pedals? I had one years ago [can't remember which] and didn't really care for it. Is the Transparent OD any good?

Some are very good, regardless of price. The Cool Cat Drive is really good.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ju5t1n20

View Post

BB preamp. That ended my search right now.

I was given one by a friend, but ultimately I wasn't fond of it... I just didn't sound right to me with my JCM900... I know a lot of guys swear by it, but it didn't quite work out the way I was hoping it would... At the time I actually preferred the Lovekraft Mojo Drive that I had.

Thanks for the suggestion thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by riffy

View Post

Look at a bad monkey... Seriously... You can boost the lows and cut the highs if you like, really smoothing the upper mids out...

Great pedal and cheap too!

Gary

I will definitely look into the Bad Monkey... I have heard good things about it but I have never used/seen one... I like the concept of a low and high tone pot. What I have heard of it so far sounds like it could be a contender. Thanks for the suggestion wave.gif

View Post

The only reason I got this particular Danelectro was because it supposed to be an exact clone of the Fulltone OCD. Which version I don't know, but comparing an OCD side by side with it, I can say without a doubt that pedal is all OCD. It is really well built; it is housed in a metal frame and the button to engage it is very sturdy and stiff. I have played on pedals that cost 3-4 times more that don't feel as rugged as this pedal... idn_smilie.gif

Quote Originally Posted by shane159

View Post

The Green Rhino is a killer pedal and can nail those tones.

I was looking at this one before I posted this thread... Though what I have heard of it so far it sounds just like a Tube Screamer should, but none of the clips I heard sounded smooth or had thick/fat mids... I guess I will have to give this one a whirl at Guitar Center...

Thanks for the suggestion! thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Mesa/Kramer

View Post

The Bad Monkey is great, but i bought this earlier this year and it is far superior (and costs a lot more)

images_list_12_29642_38021_2.jpg

That pedal does sound great, but it is just a tad bit more isn't it biggrin.gif I don't know if I will be able to swing the price of that one... I like the idea of being able to snag the Boss pedals for cheap used and doing the modification myself... I will have to check the used market for this one... Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

View Post

I have an SD-1 with the Allums gt mod and I love it. It's still my most used pedal.

You and I seem to have similar tastes in amps and sounds, so I would really love to hear some more detail on your SD-1... Did you modify it yourself? If so, how would you describe the change in tone/feel?

Thanks for putting in your input!

Quote Originally Posted by slideroni

View Post

Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive gives you the option of mixing clean and distorted. I like the sound of mine.

I have heard good things of the Sparkle Drive, but I have never went looking for clips/videos of it... I will check it out. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

yep, if you are just slamming more signal into an already overdriven signal, you will get little of no actual volume boost. Just more saturation.

I was planning on using it up front, as I don't really need that significant of a volume boost, just different tone...

View Post

VS Jekyll/Hyde is a nice pedal.

If I remember correctly one of the sides of this pedal is a Tube Screamer copy... is that right? I like my Visual Sound Tap Delay and it seems to be well built... I will definitely check out the pedal! Thanks!!!

Has anyone beside Neil messed around with a modified SD-1, or even a modified BD-2? After hearing some clips of Monte Allums H2O Mod Plus BD-2 it also has my attention... I would like to hear some more input from anyone who has used modified versions of either of these Boss pedals as well... I want to weigh out all the options I have been given so far....

Thanks again guys!!!

Cole

• Members

View Post

The only reason I got this particular Danelectro was because it supposed to be an exact clone of the Fulltone OCD. Which version I don't know, but comparing an OCD side by side with it, I can say without a doubt that pedal is all OCD. It is really well built; it is housed in a metal frame and the button to engage it is very sturdy and stiff. I have played on pedals that cost 3-4 times more that don't feel as rugged as this pedal... idn_smilie.gif

Cole

Hmm, I see. This has me interested in the V2 Overdrive and Transparent Overdrive now. icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

Hmm, I see. This has me interested in the V2 Overdrive and Transparent Overdrive now. icon_lol.gif

From what I understand the v.2 happened because of law suits....

The clips sound good of the v.2, plus you get the dip switches to fine tune the sound... I doubt they sound bad, but I wanted the v.1 model... I almost bought a v.1 fuzz the other day, but I am not sure that I want a fuzz at this point... I would rather have a fat, smooth lead boost type OD pedal...

Cole

• Members

View Post

The clips sound good of the v.2, plus you get the dip switches to fine tune the sound... I doubt they sound bad, but I wanted the v.1 model... I almost bought a v.1 fuzz the other day, but I am not sure that I want a fuzz at this point... I would rather have a fat, smooth lead boost type OD pedal...

Cole

From what Im told you just gotta tweak it to get it to sound closer. As for the V2 TOD, I think it sounds better. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

View Post

Cole

I sold my V1 Drive for over 2x what I paid for it. I do have a V1 Fuzz and a V1 Vibe.

• Members

View Post

I sold my V1 Drive for over 2x what I paid for it. I do have a V1 Fuzz and a V1 Vibe.

It is crazy how much the v.1 OD and TOD go for... I bought mine NOS from a local vendor for $30, and I see them go for much more on ebay, especially the TOD!

I like my OD so much that I have debated getting their tremolo too... like I said above I almost snagged their fuzz, but I think that I like the sound of the Flickinger Angry Sparrow too much to buy something other than that... I know the Angry Sparrow is considerably more expensive, but damn it sounds so good!

Cole

• Members

If you're slamming the front end of a valve amp for a lead boost, I've always found that a metal pedal (i.e. Boss Metalzone, Jacques Batfuzz, something like that) is best because of the strong mids that they have and because they have a 3 band eq for tweaking. Just set the gain low and the level high....

• Members

If you're slamming the front end of a valve amp for a lead boost, I've always found that a metal pedal (i.e. Boss Metalzone, Jacques Batfuzz, something like that) is best because of the strong mids that they have and because they have a 3 band eq for tweaking. Just set the gain low and the level high....

You know I tried a buddy's Keeley modified Metalzone and it did sound pretty damn good... I never really like to raise the gain on any pedal, so I keep the gain low, but this particular pedal really had some thump and bite regardless. The modified Metalzone really did sound damn good!

I don't know if the regular Metalzone is this way or not, but I will look into that option as well! Thanks :wave:

Cole

• Members

The Cool Cats are good pedals.. not just the OD's.. but just all of the Cool Cats.. the other older retro looking Danelectro pedals.. aren't. Well.. some are.. like the Fish and Chips EQ.. but they are a lot more hit and miss.. where as the Cool Cats are solid.

Archived