Lead Boost OD pedal... What are your suggestions???

colejustesen

• Members

The Cool Cats are good pedals.. not just the OD's.. but just all of the Cool Cats.. the other older retro looking Danelectro pedals.. aren't. Well.. some are.. like the Fish and Chips EQ.. but they are a lot more hit and miss.. where as the Cool Cats are solid.

Well I just might have to snag that fuzz and tremolo... It is good to know that the whole line is decent and solid :thu:

Cole

• Members

You know I tried a buddy's Keeley modified Metalzone and it did sound pretty damn good... I never really like to raise the gain on any pedal, so I keep the gain low, but this particular pedal really had some thump and bite regardless. The modified Metalzone really did sound damn good!

I don't know if the regular Metalzone is this way or not, but I will look into that option as well! Thanks
:wave:

Cole

The most frustrating thing about all these pedal mods is that they are simple and cheap to do.. so why don't the original companies do these f'ing mods themselves.. and improve their own pedal. Alter the original design in other words..

Why is it only third party modders that know how to make Boss pedals sound good? *facepalm*

• Members

The most frustrating thing about all these pedal mods is that they are simple and cheap to do.. so why don't the original companies do these f'ing mods themselves.. and improve their own pedal. Alter the original design in other words..

Why is it only third party modders that know how to make Boss pedals sound good? *facepalm*

I imagine that someone out there appreciates the pedals for what they are, but it is hard to argue how awesome they sound after the third party modifications... Maybe it is ego :idk:

Cole

• Members

The lpb-1 works well for leads, but is {censored} for rhythm imo. I would like to have another micro amp though.

lpb-1.png

Wasn't this guy designed around the echoplex preamp? I bought my clean boost thinking that it was designed around the echoplex preamp [like the EP Booster], but came to find out that it was the company's initial design which is completely different than the echoplex version... That being said, it still sounds damn good [and it works awesome for rhythm more than leads]...

How does the Micro Amp compare to the MXR/CAE clean boost? I have often wondered...

Cole

• Members

I modded the SD-1 myself with monte Allums kit, it's was family easy if you can use a soldering iron and read :)
You can get tips on the Internet too.
As the changes it made it more alive, you got some of the bass back but it still makes the amp tighter. And it makes lead lines sing, the high mids really bring out the pedal in a mix.
It's best with a little gain and a lot of volume on an already overdriven amp.

I stack mine with other pedals or parts I want to bring out in the mix.

It's also has a switch that changes the clipping for more of a tube screamer type tone (gt mod) I will post some clips later as I am on my mobile at the mo.

• Members

I modded the SD-1 myself with monte Allums kit, it's was family easy if you can use a soldering iron and read
:)
You can get tips on the Internet too.

As the changes it made it more alive, you got some of the bass back but it still makes the amp tighter. And it makes lead lines sing, the high mids really bring out the pedal in a mix.

It's best with a little gain and a lot of volume on an already overdriven amp.

I stack mine with other pedals or parts I want to bring out in the mix.

It's also has a switch that changes the clipping for more of a tube screamer type tone (gt mod) I will post some clips later as I am on my mobile at the mo.

Dude that would be great if you could post some clips!!! Of course no rush, get to it when you can bro!

I definitely like your description... I honestly don't know which would be better for me the BD-2 or the SD-1, as they both sound fat like I am searching for... Have you tried the BD-2 with their mods? I would like to hear a comparison of them...

Cole

• Members

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQV-RMPsmGLbMyf6hmwIIL

?

I have a 6 band eq in the loop now that I use for my rhythm tones... My JCM900 is a fairly bright amp, so I use it to boost the low frequencies and to give it some thump... I have wondered about a 2nd eq for boosting the mids...

On that subject, why hasn't someone made a programmable eq pedal so that you can assign presets? Something like you find on modern rack units... I think that would be pretty cool to have an eq with a few presets to access while playing live... just a thought :idk:

Cole

• Members

Because it would raise costs, and some people just want the stock pedal.

• Members

Dude that would be great if you could post some clips!!! Of course no rush, get to it when you can bro!

I definitely like your description... I honestly don't know which would be better for me the BD-2 or the SD-1, as they both sound fat like I am searching for... Have you tried the BD-2 with their mods? I would like to hear a comparison of them...

Cole

I have not got a bd-2 but if you find an original Marshall guv'nor I really recomend that (the last addition is pretty damn good too, I miss mine)

I have some clips on you tube but my phone will only link to the mobile version, I might record a better clip any way. I have modded the hell out of my jet city so it might be worth getting some clips of that too.

• Members
I have a 6 band eq in the loop now that I use for my rhythm tones... My JCM900 is a fairly bright amp, so I use it to boost the low frequencies and to give it some thump... I have wondered about a 2nd eq for boosting the mids...

On that subject, why hasn't someone made a programmable eq pedal so that you can assign presets? Something like you find on modern rack units... I think that would be pretty cool to have an eq with a few presets to access while playing live... just a thought
:idk:

Cole

bigEQ20.jpg

programmable-eq.jpg

• Members
I have read people's postings about the Naga Viper, but I have never looked into it... I am also not familiar with the Range Master... I will check this out too... Thanks for the suggestion!

The Dallas Rangemaster was used by players like Tony Iommi and Brian May.

94848d1314968028-tell-me-about-dallas-ra

Archived