are any cheap mass produced 4x12 cabs super loud?

earthoverdrive

• Members
If it were me I'd look into replacing the pair of power tubes in the GH50L and use it as a power amp or in conjunction with the Vh140c. I know the Ampeg is a loud amp but the Laney should be beast even at "just" 50w.... Maybe you don't like the earlier breakup of EL34s? I believe that amp can use 5881s as well.
:idea:

Edit: actually eff 5881s, I would want to try KT77s! Eurotubes has a kit, 6l6 too

I'm not up for spending any money on tubes for the Laney. I see it as a lost cause for this band. If I keep it around it would just be in case I ever get a '60/70s sounding psychedelic/heavy rock band going in the future where I would want that messy breakup with fuzz, wah, and other pedals.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In my band...we play in the broom closet. And we use swamp thangs Evanascence, and EV 12000Ls. 6 Tweekers, 800 watt crates, 4000 watt mesas slaved to 8 crate bloodoo 6000 watt heads- it's 300 pounds each but nice for the price. Also have 12o EL 34s and 160 KT88's...tons of toob loudness.

I am hoping to get more efficient cabs....probably have to rewire to 460 ohms or something. I know like 8 of my amps are SS watts...but I should have 8 gig watts on those...no problem about power, just wish my speakers and cab they go into were more efficient.

Not really sure what the problem is...only that I know my small rig isn't efficient enough. If I could just know what speakers to change out..I am SURE it will all be fine. Want to make sure I have dark guitar tone too.

• Members
In my band...we play in the broom closet. And we use swamp thangs Evanascence, and EV 12000Ls. 6 Tweekers, 800 watt crates, 4000 watt mesas slaved to 8 crate bloodoo 6000 watt heads- it's 300 pounds each but nice for the price. Also have 12o EL 34s and 160 KT88's...tons of toob loudness.

I am hoping to get more efficient cabs....probably have to rewire to 460 ohms or something. I know like 8 of my amps are SS watts...but I should have 8 gig watts on those...no problem about power, just wish my speakers and cab they go into were more efficient.

Not really sure what the problem is...only that I know my small rig isn't efficient enough. If I could just know what speakers to change out..I am SURE it will all be fine. Want to make sure I have dark guitar tone too.

:lol:

• Members

Keep in mind that from an equalization standpoint, every instrument has its own portion of the audio spectrum....a range of frequencies that give it its characteristic sound, and more or less define its spot in the mix. Guitar is very much oriented in the middle of the spectrum....from low mids to high mids, and everything in between.

If you turn down the mids too much, it really doesn't matter how much you crank the volume....the guitar is never going to cut through the mix properly, because you've eliminated the entire range of frequencies that define it as an instrument.

I fought this same battle myself several years ago. I used to love a fairly scooped-mid kind of sound, and my amp sounded awesome by itself. But when the whole band started playing, it didn't matter how loud I was...the guitar just wasn't cutting through the mix.

Then a friend of mine who is an audio engineer explained the whole "spectrum" thing to me, and it made sense....so I turned up the mids a couple notches. It took some getting used to at first, and my tone didn't sound quite as heavy or chunky....but when the whole band played, the guitar stood out a lot more and had MUCH better definition. You could hear every note and every chord clearly....even at lower volumes.

It didn't take long for me to get used to the more natural-sounding mids....and now I'm at the point where I actually find scooped-mid tones to be quite generic and boring.

I can almost guarantee you....it'll take some getting used to, but if you'll forget about adding volume and just turn up your mids just a bit, you'll be able to hear yourself much better.

You might also try rolling back the gain knob a bit. The higher the gain, the more compressed the sound becomes...and the more compressed it is, the less it stands out in the mix. I used to always play with my gain cranked wide open. Now I typically keep the gain knob around 5-6. It's not quite as heavily saturated, but it's much punchier and more percussive....which also helps it stand out better in the mix.

• Members

Tried the thrash switch off, tone knob at noon, and then Ampeg preamp treble back to 9 o'clock, mids scaled back a bit too(can't remember the exact position) and it cut much better. At first I thought the bass player turned way down. I'll fool around with this tone on my own and see if I can live with it. I don't like it as much but it requires less power to cut through for sure. Thanks for the advice folks.

• Members

............I'll fool around with this tone on my own and see if I can live with it............

Just remember - what sounds good to you playing alone is almost NEVER the best tone to blend with a full band.

You have a bass player - let him handle the bass.

also - lean your cab back if you can, and point it at the person who can't hear you.

I guarantee that he will be able to hear you then.

• Members

also - lean your cab back if you can, and point it at the person who can't hear you.

I guarantee that he will be able to hear you then.

Basically playing through a full stack which is pointed sort of at/through me and at the drummer. The bass player can hear it pretty good too I think. We just rearranged everything in our rehearsal room and it helped.

Archived