Michigan becomes another Right to Work state :-)

Rear Naked

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
LOL. I've been working in HR/Finance in 4 different states for over 25 years. I know what I am talking about.

The reason you can't fire at will, is because of the union & union contract. Once you make a state a right to work state and eliminate the union, all that goes out the window.

Right to work laws are just the opposite of that. They basically say that work is an ongoing agreement between the two parties. You agree to work, and they agree to pay you. BUT.....You or the company may end the agreement at any time, for any reason, or for no reason. In fact they don't even have to tell you why, just that the "agreement" is ended and you are no longer an employee.

Get it ?
But to have a "choice" is a good thing, right?

Employees have the same ability to leave, with or without notice, to pursue a better paying position.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by diocide View Post
One more point to the guys defending the "greed is good" mentality.

If "greed is good" then how can you possibly slam and rail against the unions? The preconceived notion that all union workers are lazy fat asses, and that the union bosses just line their pockets, supports your "greed is good" argument.

You can't have it both ways. Saying greed is good in one breath,and then calling the unions greedy (as a pejorative) is absolute insanity. Contradicting yourselves FTL...
Who are you even talking to?

• Members
There's a few people defending the "greed is good" mentality. I don't remember who exactly, I can go back and find them later. This was directed at them.
You really are taking the comment or mentality out of context.

"greed is good" does not mean it is acceptable to use the political environment to funnel riches to your fat ass.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel

View Post

Leave without your 2 weeks, and try and use the employer as a reference and see what happens.

Those are the rules. If you leave without your two weeks notice, it shows you are hasty and unable to leave a bad situation with some dignity. New employers should know if you pull that stunt.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Rear Naked View Post

"greed is good" does not mean it is acceptable to use the political environment to funnel riches to your fat ass.
Like the defense industries do?

I don't think I'm taking it out of context at all. "GIG" applies itself everywhere, whether your job be at a corporation, within a union or otherwise. How is it any different? The idea to "one up" the next person isn't confined to private sector? Why would it be?

• Members
Like the defense industries do?

I don't think I'm taking it out of context at all. "GIG" applies itself everywhere, whether your job be at a corporation, within a union or otherwise. How is it any different? The idea to "one up" the next person isn't confined to private sector? Why would it be?
GIG is meant in the context of a good market economy. That is obvious to most people. When someone says GIG (usually in discussions of outsourcing, cost cutting, layoffs, profits, etc), it doesn't mean that they hoard food from their starving kids.

• Members
Who defined it as such? That seems like a very narrow description.
The context defines it.

If the persuit of profits and efficient production (ie. outsourcing, cost cutting, layoffs) is GREEDY, then greed is good.

That is where the saying comes from. I don't know who you were talking to, or how they used the phrase in this particular thread, but I'm assuming that if you go look at the comments, they will resemble the line above.

• Members
The context defines it.

If the persuit of profits and efficient production (ie. outsourcing, cost cutting, layoffs) is GREEDY, then greed is good.

That is where the saying comes from. I don't know who you were talking to, or how they used the phrase in this particular thread, but I'm assuming that if you go look at the comments, they will resemble the line above.
Ok, that is a definition. So why would the Unions or individual workers "greed" for better wages, better healthcare, better working condition etc. not fall under that definition?

• Members
Ok, that is a definition. So why would the Unions or individual workers "greed" for better wages, better healthcare, better working condition etc. not fall under that definition?
As you write it, it absolutely falls under that definition. An individual negotiates and takes the best possible compensation he can, just as the employer negotiates the opposite. Nothing wrong with that.

Unions lobby for (and receive) special legislation that allows them to coerce more than negotiate.

• Members
As you write it, it absolutely falls under that definition. An individual negotiates and takes the best possible compensation he can, just as the employer negotiates the opposite. Nothing wrong with that.

Unions lobby for (and receive) special legislation that allows them to coerce more than negotiate.
Corporations and other interest groups lobby just as much, if not more. idn_smilie.gif I can't search any relevant websites while at work, but I'd actually be curious as to what the difference is between lobbying. Considering that unionized workers only represent about 10-15% of the work force, I would imagine its pretty lopsided.

• Members
Corporations and other interest groups lobby just as much, if not more. idn_smilie.gif I can't search any relevant websites while at work, but I'd actually be curious as to what the difference is between lobbying. Considering that unionized workers only represent about 10-15% of the work force, I would imagine its pretty lopsided.
Of course they do. Nobody here is arguing that it is good.

Again...

• Members

What does that mean exactly? Are you saying that when dems are more prevalent, then the unions get fatter? You're differentiating between unions and corporations in a way that I don't get. They're actually pretty similar when boiled down to what they do.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by diocide

View Post

What does that mean exactly? Are you saying that when dems are more prevalent, then the unions get fatter? You're differentiating between unions and corporations in a way that I don't get. They're actually pretty similar when boiled down to what they do.

Are you talking to me or paul confused.gif

• Members

It means just what it says. Nothing about dems or reps.

I am absolutely not differentiating between unions and corporations.

"Greed is good" is used in the context of efficient production and profit seeking. This applies to businesses as well as employees.

It is not an endorsement of rent-seeking behavior, be it by businessor or employees.

• Members
It means just what it says. Nothing about dems or reps.

I am absolutely not differentiating between unions and corporations.

"Greed is good" is used in the context of efficient production and profit seeking. This applies to businesses as well as employees.

It is not an endorsement of rent-seeking behavior, be it by businessor or employees.
Oh ok. Then I guess we agree. The way I was reading it was that you were condemning unions for "greed" but not corps. No wonder I was so confused...

• Members

It always fascinates me that after the 2008 finance crisis put together by wall street finance bosses, that is affecting the world today, the unbelievable wealth that some people have amassed with out paying income taxes or barely enough, that after all that the only thing governments are doing are passing law to diminish unions and the power of the small and middle class workers. And even more fascinating is that the population embarks in this screw the little guy party.

Archived