Alright bros : Best PSX/PS2/Xbox (original) RPGs you've played

-Assy-

• Members

Some people bitch about the level scaling in 8- it's actually possible to beat the game at level 2. I think that if you're that stressed about your level, you're not enjoying the story of the game as much.

I hated FF8 but mostly because I just wanted the main character to die. Its tough feeling connected to a character you wish would end his pathetic emo life. I've heard I should give it another shot, but I don't really want to. I should go back and replay 10 and finish it.

• Members

Yeah, I didn't enjoy blitzball or the chocobo race. Otherwise the game was fun except I didn't level up enough and got stuck.
:(

I hated FF8 but mostly because I just wanted the main character to die. Its tough feeling connected to a character you wish would end his pathetic emo life. I've heard I should give it another shot, but I don't really want to. I should go back and replay 10 and finish it.

See, there's another point of contention. I never really considered Squall to be any more or less emo than Cloud, or Tidus, or a number of other FF main characters.

• Members

Check out an older PC game called Vampire The Maquerade: Redemption. Really solid RPG that still holds it's own today. I can give you some tips if you don't want to cheat because some parts are VERY hard to get past on your first play through without help. The weapons are cool and you get to play with sword and armor then guns and modern armor (but you can still use sword).

• Members

I wasn't much of a fan of FF8. Been a long time since I played it, but I remember getting to some part in the story (something about... time compression or some {censored}?) where I just went, "Ok, WTF?! That doesn't even begin to make sense. :mad:" and all hope for me liking the game was lost forever. :idk:

FFVII on the other hand is one of my favourite games of all time. Have played it through many times and will probably start up another game sometime in the near future. FFIX I've started a few times, never finished. The first time I got to a point where the party split into two so you sorta needed everyone to be pretty strong... but coz I hated half the characters, I'd let them become pissweak. So I stopped. Other times, I've just been too bored with it to keep going. FFX was good apart from Tidus... one of the whiniest little {censored}s in video game history. Only played it once and never got right into doing all the crazy hard stuff at the end... still have it though, so maybe I should give that another crack one day. I got FFX-2 without knowing anything about it, just assuming it would be a good game. After about 15 minutes I'd had enough and got rid of it. What a steaming pile of "girl power" crap.

Quite enjoyed FFXII too. Or at least, I vaguely remember that I quite enjoyed it, coz I don't really remember much of the game other than the upgrade-grid thing. And the annoyance of them making it a more active battle type thing, but circling around the back of the enemy or putting physical distance between you had no fecking effect (although it did in Crisis Core).

I really need to make some room for the PSX and PS2 so I can start playing some of this {censored} again. Or, start playing some of the {censored} I bought years ago and then never even played. I've had Star Ocean: The Second Story sitting there for years and have never even fired it up once. :lol:

• Members

Man, psx and ps2 emulators are suuuuch a pain in the ass.

My ps2 hasn't worked in quite a while and I'm not buying a new one. I've got a psx emulator to work somewhat proper, but it took so much trial and error it was almost not worth it (and it still has pretty serious graphical errors). I did get to play back through Suikoden all the way though, so at least there's that.

• Members

Some people bitch about the level scaling in 8- it's actually possible to beat the game at level 2. I think that if you're that stressed about your level, you're not enjoying the story of the game as much.

FF8 is easier the lower your level is. If you could avoid experience in every fight throughout the game, you could easily beat it at level 1.

Enemies scale with your party, and they get better stat boosts per level than you do. Any enemy will be relatively stronger than you the more your level goes up.

Its the only FF (or traditional JRPG) that I can think of where this is the case.

FF8 is all about Junctioning powerful magic to stats. Level 1, with 100 Ultima junctioned to strength = THE most powerful you will ever be in that game, relative to the enemies you will fight.

• Members

Man, psx and ps2 emulators are suuuuch a pain in the ass.

My ps2 hasn't worked in quite a while and I'm not buying a new one. I've got a psx emulator to work somewhat proper, but it took so much trial and error it was almost not worth it (and it still has pretty serious graphical errors). I did get to play back through Suikoden all the way though, so at least there's that.

Which Emus are you using? ePSXe is dead simple to setup and run, and only requires two plugins to make it run absolutely error free (on most games)

• Members

Hm, I'll check out which one I have. I instinctively said II but now I'm not sure.

Hopefully you have 1 because 2 was rushed and was so glitchy at the end it wouldnt always work. Plus you had missions that you couldnt finish, serious graphic errors and clues that you couldnt follow up on. It was so bad that multiple people turned them into the BBB and there was an online petition for getting LucasArts to refund everyones money because the game was never finished, and tens of thousands of people signed it. Its like 1 is bacon and 2 is Low Fat Turkey Bacon.

Sadly Bioware only made the first and then never went back to the series although with Mass Effect 3's debacle im not sure i really want them to.

• Members

Hopefully you have 1 because 2 was rushed and was so glitchy at the end it wouldnt always work. Plus you had missions that you couldnt finish, serious graphic errors and clues that you couldnt follow up on. It was so bad that multiple people turned them into the BBB and there was an online petition for getting LucasArts to refund everyones money because the game was never finished, and tens of thousands of people signed it. Its like 1 is bacon and 2 is Low Fat Turkey Bacon.

Sadly Bioware only made the first and then never went back to the series although with Mass Effect 3's debacle im not sure i really want them to.

Just checked and I have KOTOR 1 :thu: Good thing because I remember it being a great game. Pretty big too for an XBOX game

Now that I think about it, one of my childhood friends had KOTOR 2 and I vaguely remember playing it.

• Members

I'm surprised you would want to use an emulator for systems that are so cheap and available. Emulators for anything past 16 bit systems is usually pretty horrific.

The systems are, the games often aren't...good luck getting a reasonably priced Suikoden II. Also, newer emulators are getting much, MUCH better.

• Members

I'm surprised you would want to use an emulator for systems that are so cheap and available. Emulators for anything past 16 bit systems is usually pretty horrific.

no way mang. ePSXe runs pretty much everything fine these days. Pete's OpenGL graphics plugins can make it look way better than any other upscaling/smoothing that any actual consoles do. Save states are awesome, playing ISOs off the HDD is awesome, there is a wide variety of cheat/modification options available, you can use any Windows compatible game pad, which means XBOX and 360 controllers, its compatible with analog and vibration functions in most pads, and on even a modest PC by todays standards, it never slows down or lags out, unlike say, playing FFVII on a PS3. Converesly, you can speed up the game in a controlled manner if you want, which is incredibly awesome at times.

I'll agree that PS2 emulation is still getting there, but it IS getting there.

• Members

no way mang. ePSXe runs pretty much everything fine these days. Pete's OpenGL graphics plugins can make it look way better than any other upscaling/smoothing that any actual consoles do. Save states are awesome, playing ISOs off the HDD is awesome, there is a wide variety of cheat/modification options available, you can use any Windows compatible game pad, which means XBOX and 360 controllers, its compatible with analog and vibration functions in most pads, and on even a modest PC by todays standards, it never slows down or lags out, unlike say, playing FFVII on a PS3. Converesly, you can speed up the game in a controlled manner if you want, which is incredibly awesome at times.

I'll agree that PS2 emulation is still getting there, but it IS getting there.

im playing through FFX right now. I get a slight FPS drop which is accompanied by audio distortion during the crazy cut scenes, but that is it.

Archived