Which amps have your top 3 lead, and top 3 rhythm tones?

Slaymoar

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Slaymoar View Post
I'm suprised the bogner fish made it in the leads, but not in the rhythm.. cop.gif
the only reason for that is the Brown channel and the strato channel share the same EQ They need to be eq'ed differntly for maximum effectiveness. I like a tad more aggression for what I call "rhythm". The Deliverance, Quad, and EG5 are just ridiculous, and exactly what I hear in my head for "rhythm". thumb.gif

Doesn't mean it's not awesome, it's just a bit more classic hotrod Marshally than the 3 I mentioned.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Slaymoar View Post
I'm suprised the bogner fish made it in the leads, but not in the rhythm.. cop.gif
the only reason for that is the Brown channel and the strato channel share the same EQ They need to be eq'ed differntly for maximum effectiveness. I like a tad more aggression for what I call "rhythm". The Deliverance, Quad, and EG5 are just ridiculous, and exactly what I hear in my head for "rhythm". thumb.gif

Doesn't mean it's not awesome, it's just a bit more classic hotrod Marshally than the 3 I mentioned.

• Members

Rythm:

Mesa triaxis into several power amps. Overrated or not it can have piano like bass thumbing clarity. I really like how it pairs with EL34 power amps. Mesa marks. You can't go wrong with them.
Peavey 5150/XXX tie for anything metal. I think I prefer them to many high priced amps...They sound so "correct" for this type of music damn it.
Brunetti mc-2 crunch channel boosted. And I hate boosting. This amp is by far the best 60 watter I have played for rythm. Perhaps the best sound I ever got. Incredibly dynamic, clarity and can go from ac/dc to whatever you want.

Lead:
Mesa boogie studio preamp through anything. Excellent cleans too!
Mesa rectifier. It slays for lead.
Any cranked fender amp with a good pedal up front. You can't go wrong with that. The mesa ancestor connection! The silver jubilee is a good amp for leads too, I'd toss it in there.

Just three?...

• Members

Unlocked huh?

A pre "restored" fender super reverb had the best cleans I've heard, for the way I prefer to hear "clean" sounds. Once it was "restored" by a pro it...sounded more sterile like people describe a silverface super reverb sometimes...go figure.

Studio preamp by mesa has incredible cleans especially paired with a good 6L6 power amp with a bit of looseness (which isn't the case for mark power amps in general). Too bad you need another one to have the lead sound set up differently!

Other amps have interesting clean stuff going on but roland JC 120 can't be beat for what it does for me.

I also like laney's voicing a lot. I actually voted for diocide in the head/cab thread (AOR!).
GH/VH are cool sounding amps there are some great easy mods to tighten them up and loose the inherent fizzy without a boost in the sloclone forum that some people like very very much...I think a gh50 or AOR maybe my next amp depending on mood.

A friend of mine has a mad professor modified fender vintage bandmaster which...rocks incredibly. I don't know what he did to the amp but it sacrifices its stock sound a lot and becomes a monster...I'd like to get more info on that.

Also I can't really exclude the peavey classic 50 out of the top amps I like...it is a really dynamic sounding amp which lets you shape the result with pick attack and I like that. Add a boost and ask gt jumper...

Archived