HCAF Cyclists 2013 Thread

yourguitarhero

• Members

I love cycling. During Spring/Summer/Fall I normally go on two or three rides Mon thru Fri for an hour and about 3 hours on Saturday. I run the other days. Last year I rode in two centuries and a fun relay race called Saints to Sinners (http://www.saintstosinners.com/). Had a blast! Been mainly doing three spin classes a week to keep my legs going during the Winter. I do more running since I can handle it down to about 25 degrees outside.

I'll have to follow this thread. Here are some pics from the St George century I rode in October 2012 (me on the left in the group picture):

StartingLine.jpg

50MileMark.jpg

OnMyWay.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love cycling. During Spring/Summer/Fall I normally go on two or three rides Mon thru Fri for an hour and about 3 hours on Saturday. I run the other days. Last year I rode in two centuries and a fun relay race called Saints to Sinners (http://www.saintstosinners.com/). Had a blast! Been mainly doing three spin classes a week to keep my legs going during the Winter. I do more running since I can handle it down to about 25 degrees outside.

I'll have to follow this thread. Here are some pics from the St George century I rode in October 2012 (me on the left in the group picture):

StartingLine.jpg

50MileMark.jpg

OnMyWay.jpg

• Members

I'm commuting year round by bike and that's helping my sprint and keeping the legs hard. I've also got a new full carbon road bike in mind for 2013. Once the air temp warms up a bit I'll be headed for somewhere around 250 road miles per week. I usually keep that up until early fall when I get into the back country more and do some mountain climbing and backpacking. So far I'm keeping a good fitness level carried over from 2012 so 2013 looks promising.

• Members

I'm commuting year round by bike and that's helping my sprint and keeping the legs hard. I've also got a new full carbon road bike in mind for 2013. Once the air temp warms up a bit I'll be headed for somewhere around 250 road miles per week. I usually keep that up until early fall when I get into the back country more and do some mountain climbing and backpacking. So far I'm keeping a good fitness level carried over from 2012 so 2013 looks promising.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Weathered

View Post

Going to watch the first half of the first playoff game today on the trainer - figure that's a solid 75-80 minutes at least, and I'm going to try and keep the cadence over 80 the whole time.

I'm starting to think about my next bike (even though I promised myself that I'd wait until after I graduate from grad school). This one gets some serious bloodflow going to my nether regions:

pin0090-zoom2.jpg

One of our local bike shops just started carrying Pinarello, so I may test ride one this spring. Debating getting one built up with Ultegra and going with it.

I have thought about getting a trainer for the winter time... Do you have a recommendation? I have no idea what makes a good trainer or not...

Thanks wave.gif

Cole

• Members

View Post

Going to watch the first half of the first playoff game today on the trainer - figure that's a solid 75-80 minutes at least, and I'm going to try and keep the cadence over 80 the whole time.

I'm starting to think about my next bike (even though I promised myself that I'd wait until after I graduate from grad school). This one gets some serious bloodflow going to my nether regions:

pin0090-zoom2.jpg

One of our local bike shops just started carrying Pinarello, so I may test ride one this spring. Debating getting one built up with Ultegra and going with it.

I have thought about getting a trainer for the winter time... Do you have a recommendation? I have no idea what makes a good trainer or not...

Thanks wave.gif

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen

View Post

Thanks wave.gif

Cole

I'm interested as well so I can supplement my half marathon training with my Trek.

• Members

View Post

Thanks wave.gif

Cole

I'm interested as well so I can supplement my half marathon training with my Trek.

• Members

Im hoping to get some decent miles in this year. I only did around 200 miles last summer, which was my first of having a road bike. I really like riding (particularly compared to running) but its hard to get anyone to ride with me. I just got a cheapo mt bike, as did a friend, so i am hoping we can hit some trails and have some fun! Any tips as far as how to not die on a trail for a newbie? icon_lol.gif

• Members

Im hoping to get some decent miles in this year. I only did around 200 miles last summer, which was my first of having a road bike. I really like riding (particularly compared to running) but its hard to get anyone to ride with me. I just got a cheapo mt bike, as did a friend, so i am hoping we can hit some trails and have some fun! Any tips as far as how to not die on a trail for a newbie? icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

Thanks wave.gif

Cole

I've got a Kurt Kinetic - it takes some getting used to, but it actually is pretty nice all things considered.

This is the one I've got:

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/road-machine-p-198-l-en.html

In terms of feel, it's not nearly the same as riding on the road, but it is a useful method of keeping your legs in shape indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by newholland

View Post

why the schwank pinarello, man?

i dunno.. they're cool bikes, but they're kinda statement pieces, huh?

i'd take me a caad 10 with a hot{censored} wheelset, and blow the rest on guitars.. oh wait, i already did that. biggrin.gif

A guy I work with is a died-in-the-wool Pinarello fan - he and his wife both ride Princes, and his love of them has me looking at them. My other target is a Felt Z4 - my Z85 has served me very well, and moving to carbon would be the next real step.

• Members

View Post

Thanks wave.gif

Cole

I've got a Kurt Kinetic - it takes some getting used to, but it actually is pretty nice all things considered.

In terms of feel, it's not nearly the same as riding on the road, but it is a useful method of keeping your legs in shape indoors.

View Post

why the schwank pinarello, man?

i dunno.. they're cool bikes, but they're kinda statement pieces, huh?

i'd take me a caad 10 with a hot{censored} wheelset, and blow the rest on guitars.. oh wait, i already did that. biggrin.gif

A guy I work with is a died-in-the-wool Pinarello fan - he and his wife both ride Princes, and his love of them has me looking at them. My other target is a Felt Z4 - my Z85 has served me very well, and moving to carbon would be the next real step.

• Members

View Post

what you riding now, sir?

i miss the days of steel trevisos... the scimtar forks are a little too much for my linear sensibilities, for sure-- but i know a coupla guys around here who ride 'em, and they love them to death.

but lemme ask you this: why do you consider going to carbon a 'next real step'? not to say that there's anything wrong with 'em-- but why not aluminum, steel, Ti?

• Members

View Post

i miss the days of steel trevisos... the scimtar forks are a little too much for my linear sensibilities, for sure-- but i know a coupla guys around here who ride 'em, and they love them to death.

but lemme ask you this: why do you consider going to carbon a 'next real step'? not to say that there's anything wrong with 'em-- but why not aluminum, steel, Ti?

• Members

View Post

I'm asking myself the same question. Given the choice, I'm buying Ti. That way, I'll never have to buy another frame. Also, Ti is infinitely more crash proof than Carbon.

• Members

View Post

I'm asking myself the same question. Given the choice, I'm buying Ti. That way, I'll never have to buy another frame. Also, Ti is infinitely more crash proof than Carbon.

• Members
wave.gif I was off the bike for almost 9 years , in 2012 I probably did 5000 to 6000 miles on the road bike , mostly training and some commuting . In 13' I'll defiantly get more in as I've joined a team on which I'll be racing during the coming season . No photos but I have a campy record equipped Trek Madone .

• Members
wave.gif I was off the bike for almost 9 years , in 2012 I probably did 5000 to 6000 miles on the road bike , mostly training and some commuting . In 13' I'll defiantly get more in as I've joined a team on which I'll be racing during the coming season . No photos but I have a campy record equipped Trek Madone .

• Members

View Post

Right now I'm riding a Felt Z85 - standard $1K fare (aluminum frame, carbon fork, Shimano 105) with a semi-relaxed geometry. The frame geometry is perfect for me, and the ride is relatively comfy, but I want to go a bit lighter, hence the desire to go to carbon. I actually almost bought a Specialized Tarmac this summer, but I didn't like the ride as much as my Felt, so I couldn't justify the cost just to go to a carbon frame.

• Members

View Post

Right now I'm riding a Felt Z85 - standard $1K fare (aluminum frame, carbon fork, Shimano 105) with a semi-relaxed geometry. The frame geometry is perfect for me, and the ride is relatively comfy, but I want to go a bit lighter, hence the desire to go to carbon. I actually almost bought a Specialized Tarmac this summer, but I didn't like the ride as much as my Felt, so I couldn't justify the cost just to go to a carbon frame.

• Members

I didn't realize just how well my Felt fit me until I was trying out the Tarmac. I kept having them make changes, and at the end, it just didn't fit me at all. Went home and took out the Z, and it was a perfect fit. When I bought it, the only changes that were made was to slide the saddle slightly forward and bring the seat up just a touch. No stem swapping, no nothing - it was awesome.

• Members

I didn't realize just how well my Felt fit me until I was trying out the Tarmac. I kept having them make changes, and at the end, it just didn't fit me at all. Went home and took out the Z, and it was a perfect fit. When I bought it, the only changes that were made was to slide the saddle slightly forward and bring the seat up just a touch. No stem swapping, no nothing - it was awesome.

• Members

View Post

Tell me about the Z85. There's a guy I know who bought a really cheap Schwinn off from Amazon, just to see if he liked riding, and now apparently he does enough that he wants to get a better bike. He was looking at getting a Motobecane from Bikes Direct, but the local EMS has the Z85 for 15% off, has one in a 58cm(he's a big guy) but not built up. They do have a 58cm Z95, so at least he could try it out and see if it will fit him, or if he needs the 61, which can be had from another EMS.

Don't see too many reviews of it online, and while it's not equipped as well as the Motobecane, I think it would be a better frame. It'll also be about $250 cheaper, and cost is a factor for him. And, while it shouldn't really play a part, I just think he'll feel better cruising around on a Felt rather than a Motobecane. I'm shallow, so I know I would.

Edit: Well, I see you already have.

Archived