HCAF Cyclists 2013 Thread

yourguitarhero

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte..._mountain.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Pdm3.../dp/B000NORMU4

i rock these things on my townie/commuter bike so if i need to rip downtown and grab some groceries or whatever, i can go in normal shoes, or if i'm feeling like using cleats for longer rides, i have 'em. they're generally pretty cheap-- i'd think you could get them for about 50 bucks

• Members

i rock these things on my townie/commuter bike so if i need to rip downtown and grab some groceries or whatever, i can go in normal shoes, or if i'm feeling like using cleats for longer rides, i have 'em. they're generally pretty cheap-- i'd think you could get them for about 50 bucks

• Members

Really want to up my mileage this year (only did about 2000 last year) but I get so bored on the road bike after about 15 miles. Not sure about taking music as it's good to be able to hear the road. Still considering going back to a singlespeed Langster (currently on a CAAD8) because I always have problems with gears plus singlespeed might be a better workout for my short rides?

I got some new brakes for my MTB the other day, need to trim the hoses but I'm pretty happy with my bike now! So fun to ride. Contraversially I much prefer the Avid brakes to the Shimano SLX I had briefly.

IMG_7768_zpsa5614860.jpg

• Members

Really want to up my mileage this year (only did about 2000 last year) but I get so bored on the road bike after about 15 miles. Not sure about taking music as it's good to be able to hear the road. Still considering going back to a singlespeed Langster (currently on a CAAD8) because I always have problems with gears plus singlespeed might be a better workout for my short rides?

I got some new brakes for my MTB the other day, need to trim the hoses but I'm pretty happy with my bike now! So fun to ride. Contraversially I much prefer the Avid brakes to the Shimano SLX I had briefly.

IMG_7768_zpsa5614860.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by newholland

View Post

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by -todgemistro-

View Post

IMG_7768_zpsa5614860.jpg

I'm sold on single speed for commuting and short/intense workout rides. I'd always rock my CAAD for distance or anything particularly hilly. I'm certainly impressed with my SE Lager though. Winstanley bikes are blowing them out at 250 shipped btw redface.gif

• Members

View Post

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by -todgemistro-

View Post

IMG_7768_zpsa5614860.jpg

I'm sold on single speed for commuting and short/intense workout rides. I'd always rock my CAAD for distance or anything particularly hilly. I'm certainly impressed with my SE Lager though. Winstanley bikes are blowing them out at 250 shipped btw redface.gif

• Members

OK, I guess I'll try and paste this bitch in here for the fifth time.

I managed to maintain a cadence over 100 for a couple two plus minute stretches with five minutes in between around 90 or so. And I was smooth the entire time. Considering a few weeks ago I was bouncing in the seat at anything over 95 I'm fairly proud of that. I've noticed there's a point above 95 or so where it feels like I could gear up as far as I wanted to if it was based on leg strength, like everything's shifted to the lungs. That's a recent development as I was having trouble with maintaining cadences above 85 for longer periods back when I was still able to get outside regularly.

I'm more than a little anxious to get back out there and test myself on some hills, such as they are in this part of the country. It'll be really interesting when the snow and ice melts to see if I've actually improved my road performance nearly as much as the roller performance improvements would suggest. I still feel like there's a lot of work to do, but the fact I haven't burnt out on the rollers at this point is a good sign I'll keep going. I've been on them for all but two rides since early November and still keeping at it. I'd trade them for a better climate in a heartbeat, but my wife likes winter and would probably leave me over it. cry.gif So they're better than nothing.

• Members

I managed to maintain a cadence over 100 for a couple two plus minute stretches with five minutes in between around 90 or so. And I was smooth the entire time. Considering a few weeks ago I was bouncing in the seat at anything over 95 I'm fairly proud of that. I've noticed there's a point above 95 or so where it feels like I could gear up as far as I wanted to if it was based on leg strength, like everything's shifted to the lungs. That's a recent development as I was having trouble with maintaining cadences above 85 for longer periods back when I was still able to get outside regularly.

I'm more than a little anxious to get back out there and test myself on some hills, such as they are in this part of the country. It'll be really interesting when the snow and ice melts to see if I've actually improved my road performance nearly as much as the roller performance improvements would suggest. I still feel like there's a lot of work to do, but the fact I haven't burnt out on the rollers at this point is a good sign I'll keep going. I've been on them for all but two rides since early November and still keeping at it. I'd trade them for a better climate in a heartbeat, but my wife likes winter and would probably leave me over it. cry.gif So they're better than nothing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nightflameauto

View Post

rollers are kinda fun, and sure better than resistance trainers... ugh! sounds like you're making good progress on yer cadence-- why are you pushing to bring it up so high? Not that for the sake of doing it isn't reason enough-- but even racing, most guys i know push between 80 and 100 and only dump on the legs like that doing intervals and sprints. i'm doing a computrainer session once a week right now, and one of the common exersizes we do is to push 100 for 3 minutes, 110 for 2 minutes, then 120 for 1... in succession... ouch. then we spin for 5 minutes, and do that 3 more times. facepalm.gif I'm glad it's primarily an exersize for cardio... because i know it'll be in extreme circumstances that i ever do anything like that on the road biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nightflameauto

View Post

rollers are kinda fun, and sure better than resistance trainers... ugh! sounds like you're making good progress on yer cadence-- why are you pushing to bring it up so high? Not that for the sake of doing it isn't reason enough-- but even racing, most guys i know push between 80 and 100 and only dump on the legs like that doing intervals and sprints. i'm doing a computrainer session once a week right now, and one of the common exersizes we do is to push 100 for 3 minutes, 110 for 2 minutes, then 120 for 1... in succession... ouch. then we spin for 5 minutes, and do that 3 more times. facepalm.gif I'm glad it's primarily an exersize for cardio... because i know it'll be in extreme circumstances that i ever do anything like that on the road biggrin.gif

• Members

View Post

eek.gif

I have a few reasons for wanting a higher cadence. One big one is I've had some knee problems in the past and I don't ever want to end up back in a situation where my only option is to dump to a cadence below 75 in a seated position. For every jump in cadence I've noticed a considerable jump in speed even when moving backwards through the gears to get there, so that's been another incentive. I also really want to increase my lung capacity for purposes of singing and using wind instruments. Lung capacity seems intimately tied with cadence when it comes to cycling. I know there was a point about three weeks ago where my wife told me she noticed my breathing is really quiet when I'm at rest now. Like, quieter than it's been since really early in our relationship. I may be crediting the cadence work too much there, but I didn't get that comment until it was part of the routine.

I do have a limit though. I really doubt I'll ever have any reason to push above 120. Like I said above, I feel like once I break 95 the limiter becomes the lungs. I'll just keep working at it until it doesn't feel like the lungs are holding the legs back. Just trying to find the balance point at the moment.

I thought buying reduced radius rollers was a big mistake when I started on them. I couldn't sustain anything over about 14 MPH for any period of time. The last couple weeks have been 18 steady with hard pushes breaking 22 or even more pretty regularly. I did a full-on maximum possible go power effort a few days back that hit 30 for a thirty second span. I felt like I was gonna die, BUT I did it. No way in hell that would have happened a couple months ago.

Oh, just thought of one other reason I like doing cadence work for speed. Because when I crank up over 100 the wife stares at me with a face like this: freak.gif And sometimes says, "Where do you think you're trying to go?" icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

eek.gif

I have a few reasons for wanting a higher cadence. One big one is I've had some knee problems in the past and I don't ever want to end up back in a situation where my only option is to dump to a cadence below 75 in a seated position. For every jump in cadence I've noticed a considerable jump in speed even when moving backwards through the gears to get there, so that's been another incentive. I also really want to increase my lung capacity for purposes of singing and using wind instruments. Lung capacity seems intimately tied with cadence when it comes to cycling. I know there was a point about three weeks ago where my wife told me she noticed my breathing is really quiet when I'm at rest now. Like, quieter than it's been since really early in our relationship. I may be crediting the cadence work too much there, but I didn't get that comment until it was part of the routine.

I do have a limit though. I really doubt I'll ever have any reason to push above 120. Like I said above, I feel like once I break 95 the limiter becomes the lungs. I'll just keep working at it until it doesn't feel like the lungs are holding the legs back. Just trying to find the balance point at the moment.

I thought buying reduced radius rollers was a big mistake when I started on them. I couldn't sustain anything over about 14 MPH for any period of time. The last couple weeks have been 18 steady with hard pushes breaking 22 or even more pretty regularly. I did a full-on maximum possible go power effort a few days back that hit 30 for a thirty second span. I felt like I was gonna die, BUT I did it. No way in hell that would have happened a couple months ago.

Oh, just thought of one other reason I like doing cadence work for speed. Because when I crank up over 100 the wife stares at me with a face like this: freak.gif And sometimes says, "Where do you think you're trying to go?" icon_lol.gif

Archived