Just caught a shoplifter.

TurboRotary13b

• Members

I was Target's store security person at one time. I sometimes thought it was necessary to keep these on me.

These days though, thieves come in as gangs and are well organized. To catch a thief and have to bring him down on the pavement was a bit scary at times. But mostly they'd surrendered and hung around till the cops came to arrest them. I always felt the best deterrent is to post the shoplifters pictures at the entrance of the store.

lkh-srndo-med.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was Target's store security person at one time. I sometimes thought it was necessary to keep these on me.

These days though, thieves come in as gangs and are well organized. To catch a thief and have to bring him down on the pavement was a bit scary at times. But mostly they'd surrendered and hung around till the cops came to arrest them. I always felt the best deterrent is to post the shoplifters pictures at the entrance of the store.

lkh-srndo-med.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarville

View Post

lkh-srndo-med.jpg

I've always wondered what would happen if store security stopped and detained a suspected shoplifter who didn't actually steal anything - if that sort of thing ever happens. Could the guy press charges for kidnapping or unlawful detention or something like that?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarville

View Post

lkh-srndo-med.jpg

I've always wondered what would happen if store security stopped and detained a suspected shoplifter who didn't actually steal anything - if that sort of thing ever happens. Could the guy press charges for kidnapping or unlawful detention or something like that?

• Members

When I was in college I worked at a blockbuster video. We dealt with shoplifting constantly and mostly because of the way corporate dictated we handle the situation. Corporate policy was that we could stop them in the act as long as they were in the store. If they left the store we were not to pursue or we would get canned. The thieves seemed to know the policy as well and they would just pick up stacks of movies/games and run out the doors. 8 months after I started they hired a new shift manager who was former military just back from Iraq. About 2 weeks after he started a punk came in and grabbed about 5-10 games and bolted out the door. The new manager ripped off his uniform shirt, signed out of work and proceeded to chase the thief into the parking lot and curb stomped him. Beat the guy to a bloody pulp and restrained him while the police came. He still ended up getting fired, but shoplifting dropped dramatically and the manager ended up getting a job with the city police force.

• Members

When I was in college I worked at a blockbuster video. We dealt with shoplifting constantly and mostly because of the way corporate dictated we handle the situation. Corporate policy was that we could stop them in the act as long as they were in the store. If they left the store we were not to pursue or we would get canned. The thieves seemed to know the policy as well and they would just pick up stacks of movies/games and run out the doors. 8 months after I started they hired a new shift manager who was former military just back from Iraq. About 2 weeks after he started a punk came in and grabbed about 5-10 games and bolted out the door. The new manager ripped off his uniform shirt, signed out of work and proceeded to chase the thief into the parking lot and curb stomped him. Beat the guy to a bloody pulp and restrained him while the police came. He still ended up getting fired, but shoplifting dropped dramatically and the manager ended up getting a job with the city police force.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge

View Post

No.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge

View Post

No.

Archived