TurboRotary13b

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1 View Post
Good on you!

{censored} Thieves!

of course these {censored}ers will get community service on some misdemeanor and be right back at it.
The cop said that this was her second time getting caught at Best Buy..

Quote Originally Posted by wok View Post
If only the thief had a gun.... wait, what? redface.gif
I had my .45 on me.. All was good.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1 View Post
Good on you!

{censored} Thieves!

of course these {censored}ers will get community service on some misdemeanor and be right back at it.
The cop said that this was her second time getting caught at Best Buy..

Quote Originally Posted by wok View Post
If only the thief had a gun.... wait, what? redface.gif
I had my .45 on me.. All was good.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge View Post
I've always wondered what would happen if store security stopped and detained a suspected shoplifter who didn't actually steal anything - if that sort of thing ever happens. Could the guy press charges for kidnapping or unlawful detention or something like that?
Quote Originally Posted by Hapless View Post
No.
Quote Originally Posted by Phrophus View Post
I'm pretty sure that it depends on the jurisdiction and the individual circumstances, but that there have been cases where damages were awarded based on claims of unlawful detention.

It happened to film-maker John Waters in the late '60's (laws may have changed since then).

Actually, he WAS shoplifting record albums, but spotted the store detective and knew he had been seen in the act. He managed to put the albums back without being seen, so when they stopped him outside the store and detained him, he sued and won the case, and collected $3000.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge View Post
I've always wondered what would happen if store security stopped and detained a suspected shoplifter who didn't actually steal anything - if that sort of thing ever happens. Could the guy press charges for kidnapping or unlawful detention or something like that?
Quote Originally Posted by Hapless View Post
No.
I'm pretty sure that it depends on the jurisdiction and the individual circumstances, but that there have been cases where damages were awarded based on claims of unlawful detention.

It happened to film-maker John Waters in the late '60's (laws may have changed since then).

Actually, he WAS shoplifting record albums, but spotted the store detective and knew he had been seen in the act. He managed to put the albums back without being seen, so when they stopped him outside the store and detained him, he sued and won the case, and collected $3000.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phrophus

View Post

No doubt; however, the phrasing of the question implied criminal charges. If there were articulable facts and the detention was terminated once the suspicion was determined to be unfounded, I'd say even a civil suit would be difficult to win. In Illinois, "shopkeepers" are given a pretty wide latitude to detain suspected shoplifters.

• Members

View Post

No doubt; however, the phrasing of the question implied criminal charges. If there were articulable facts and the detention was terminated once the suspicion was determined to be unfounded, I'd say even a civil suit would be difficult to win. In Illinois, "shopkeepers" are given a pretty wide latitude to detain suspected shoplifters.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hapless

View Post

I just chalked up the phrasing of the question to a layman's terminology but wanted to point out that there can be repercussions depending on the situation.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hapless

View Post

I just chalked up the phrasing of the question to a layman's terminology but wanted to point out that there can be repercussions depending on the situation.

• Members
Ok. I should have answered, "In general, no."

cop.gif

• Members
Ok. I should have answered, "In general, no."

cop.gif

• Members

View Post

I imagine there could be some tricky situations where someone with some serious self defense skills thought the detention was unjustified and voiced his disagreement on the store securities' asses

• Members

View Post

I imagine there could be some tricky situations where someone with some serious self defense skills thought the detention was unjustified and voiced his disagreement on the store securities' asses

Archived