What is the consensus on Peavey guitar cabs?

colejustesen

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by midnightlaundry

View Post

No {censored}ing way. And you'll never find anything Mesa for $200.

This. I dont think Ive ever seen a mesa 212 for 200 bucks.

The XXX cabs are pretty rare. Ive only ever seen one for sale. Id love to have one. Peavey cabs are built well enough. I played live with 3 different ones loaded with various speakers. The sheffields are meh, but they arent as bad as every one says they are. Raceu4her has a huge rage boner against peavey cabs lol, so Id take his opinion with a grain of salt. But yeah....I was ALWAYS able to get excellent tone out of my peavey cabs. Also, I dunno what the XXX 212 cab is made of, but the 5150 cabs were all ply, with the back on the newer ones being MDF or something...the older butcher cabs were ALL ply.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by midnightlaundry

View Post

No {censored}ing way. And you'll never find anything Mesa for $200.

This. I dont think Ive ever seen a mesa 212 for 200 bucks.

The XXX cabs are pretty rare. Ive only ever seen one for sale. Id love to have one. Peavey cabs are built well enough. I played live with 3 different ones loaded with various speakers. The sheffields are meh, but they arent as bad as every one says they are. Raceu4her has a huge rage boner against peavey cabs lol, so Id take his opinion with a grain of salt. But yeah....I was ALWAYS able to get excellent tone out of my peavey cabs. Also, I dunno what the XXX 212 cab is made of, but the 5150 cabs were all ply, with the back on the newer ones being MDF or something...the older butcher cabs were ALL ply.

• Members

The old vintage butcher cabs are some of my favorite cabs. Thick ass 13 ply with Celestion 85's in them which are basically K100's. They sound great and are tanks they're just ugly.

My first cabinet ever was an oversized vintage Peavey 4x12 that was ported. It was very tall and very heavy but it always sounded great.

Their newer cabs sound like dog{censored} to me but those particular cabs always sound good.

• Members

The old vintage butcher cabs are some of my favorite cabs. Thick ass 13 ply with Celestion 85's in them which are basically K100's. They sound great and are tanks they're just ugly.

My first cabinet ever was an oversized vintage Peavey 4x12 that was ported. It was very tall and very heavy but it always sounded great.

Their newer cabs sound like dog{censored} to me but those particular cabs always sound good.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf View Post

Raceu4her has a huge rage boner against peavey cabs lol, so Id take his opinion with a grain of salt.

i think most people agree with me. how many people do you actually see using the peavey cabs with their 5150/xxx/jsx??? out of the 9824398 bands ive seen using those heads, i cant remember the last time i saw someone using one with a peavey cab, nor can i remember seeing a marshall or mesa on top a peavey cab idn_smilie.gif my sheffield cab was on the level of low end crate and marshall cabs except it looked a lot cooler. you dont realize what a joke they are till you have one with 5 or 6 other cabs at your jam space to compare them with. with all the options for cabs, why someone would go with a peavey is beyond me

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf View Post

Raceu4her has a huge rage boner against peavey cabs lol, so Id take his opinion with a grain of salt.

i think most people agree with me. how many people do you actually see using the peavey cabs with their 5150/xxx/jsx??? out of the 9824398 bands ive seen using those heads, i cant remember the last time i saw someone using one with a peavey cab, nor can i remember seeing a marshall or mesa on top a peavey cab idn_smilie.gif my sheffield cab was on the level of low end crate and marshall cabs except it looked a lot cooler. you dont realize what a joke they are till you have one with 5 or 6 other cabs at your jam space to compare them with. with all the options for cabs, why someone would go with a peavey is beyond me

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by charveldan

View Post

They have sucked 30 years and counting ... u asked.

I love you Dan, but honestly, when was the last time you ever played out with a band? Serious.

You can post all the Friedman-related threads as much as you want, but the fact that you haven't really played out with this rig of yours invalidates all this {censored}-talking you have against anything that isn't a Gibson or a Marshall.

Again, love ya bro.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by charveldan

View Post

They have sucked 30 years and counting ... u asked.

I love you Dan, but honestly, when was the last time you ever played out with a band? Serious.

You can post all the Friedman-related threads as much as you want, but the fact that you haven't really played out with this rig of yours invalidates all this {censored}-talking you have against anything that isn't a Gibson or a Marshall.

Again, love ya bro.

• Members

Er...it's a Triple XXX...2x12...cab??? I didn't know such a thing existed. Just to clarify, not a combo, but a cab?

Peavey cabs are built great. Most of their speakers are kinda meh. Depends on the application, you might like them for certain stuff (I actually ended up keeping my windsor 4x12 and find it great for low to mid gain stuff, different speakers in that though) - sheffields can be hit or miss, and there are a lot of different sheffields. I forget the guy's username but that guy from Maine did a blind speaker comparison and people ended up liking certain sheffields more than you would've expected.

The cabs themselves are well built. But if it's a 2x12 cab, I'd say 200 bucks is kinda high. You should be able to score a loaded 4x12 peavey for that much.

• Members

Er...it's a Triple XXX...2x12...cab??? I didn't know such a thing existed. Just to clarify, not a combo, but a cab?

Peavey cabs are built great. Most of their speakers are kinda meh. Depends on the application, you might like them for certain stuff (I actually ended up keeping my windsor 4x12 and find it great for low to mid gain stuff, different speakers in that though) - sheffields can be hit or miss, and there are a lot of different sheffields. I forget the guy's username but that guy from Maine did a blind speaker comparison and people ended up liking certain sheffields more than you would've expected.

The cabs themselves are well built. But if it's a 2x12 cab, I'd say 200 bucks is kinda high. You should be able to score a loaded 4x12 peavey for that much.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by almightycrunch

View Post

Bing-{censored}ing-go!!!!!!!!!

I've commented on this phenomenon numerous times on here. My take on this is, We spend countless hours pouring over amps and specs and sound clips, trying pedals, and rack effects, and attenuators, etc...... all in an attempt to find the best sounding amp we can get, and then most people either plop that head on top of some old piece of {censored} Crate cabinet that they already have, or try to get away with buying the cheapest piece of {censored} cab they can find used.

More often than not, the cabinet is just as responsible for a good tone as is the amplifier head. I dont know how many times I've seen threads or people talking about buying what seem to be universally great sounding amps, only to turn around and sell them, and countless other heads in the process, and one of the only constants, is that they kept putting the new heads on some crappy cabinet that they already owned.

If someone is willing to spend 250 bucks on a Peavey cabinet, and then have to ask and wonder if it is gonna sound "ok" good lord, spend the extra 75 bucks and find yourself a Marshall 1960 cabinet.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by almightycrunch

View Post

Bing-{censored}ing-go!!!!!!!!!

I've commented on this phenomenon numerous times on here. My take on this is, We spend countless hours pouring over amps and specs and sound clips, trying pedals, and rack effects, and attenuators, etc...... all in an attempt to find the best sounding amp we can get, and then most people either plop that head on top of some old piece of {censored} Crate cabinet that they already have, or try to get away with buying the cheapest piece of {censored} cab they can find used.

More often than not, the cabinet is just as responsible for a good tone as is the amplifier head. I dont know how many times I've seen threads or people talking about buying what seem to be universally great sounding amps, only to turn around and sell them, and countless other heads in the process, and one of the only constants, is that they kept putting the new heads on some crappy cabinet that they already owned.

If someone is willing to spend 250 bucks on a Peavey cabinet, and then have to ask and wonder if it is gonna sound "ok" good lord, spend the extra 75 bucks and find yourself a Marshall 1960 cabinet.

Archived