What is the consensus on Peavey guitar cabs?

colejustesen

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen

View Post

maybe... idn_smilie.gif

It has been so long since I have used one... It has been over seven years, and the most I played them at the times was 10 minutes...

Cole

As someone who owned a 5150 4x12 for many years and has played most of the other Peavey cabs, my opinion is that their speakers are usually not bad, but the construction of the cabs makes them (and any other speaker you put in them) sound bad. The 5150 cab was tried with stock speakers, V30s, G12T75s and a combination of both the 30s and 75s in an X pattern. It always sounded bad - flat, congested in the mids, and lacking any kind of 3D girth. The same speakers in my Mesa cab sound amazing. The construction quality itself is good - they're nearly indestructible. That doesn't help the sound, however.

So my opinion is to stay away. For around $200 I would take a used Mesa 2x12 over any Peavey 4x12. It will sound better and bigger than the 4x12. My advice is to always go try for yourself, though. Just go to a music store and try a Peavey cab next to a Mesa or even a decent Marshall cab. The difference is night and day.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen

View Post

maybe... idn_smilie.gif

It has been so long since I have used one... It has been over seven years, and the most I played them at the times was 10 minutes...

Cole

As someone who owned a 5150 4x12 for many years and has played most of the other Peavey cabs, my opinion is that their speakers are usually not bad, but the construction of the cabs makes them (and any other speaker you put in them) sound bad. The 5150 cab was tried with stock speakers, V30s, G12T75s and a combination of both the 30s and 75s in an X pattern. It always sounded bad - flat, congested in the mids, and lacking any kind of 3D girth. The same speakers in my Mesa cab sound amazing. The construction quality itself is good - they're nearly indestructible. That doesn't help the sound, however.

So my opinion is to stay away. For around $200 I would take a used Mesa 2x12 over any Peavey 4x12. It will sound better and bigger than the 4x12. My advice is to always go try for yourself, though. Just go to a music store and try a Peavey cab next to a Mesa or even a decent Marshall cab. The difference is night and day.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H

View Post

Ive heard they suck. But for $200 or less, they might be your thing.

You play a Madison, your opinion is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by soc_monki

View Post

the cabs are built really well. its the speakers that arent that great. get a cheap Peavey cab, load it with some quality speakers, and youre good to go.

This is more accurate. I've heard a Valveking, both a 1x12 and head with the 4x12 matching cab, replaced with Vintage 30s and a huge difference in sound/tone.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

Friend of mine has the same setup on his 5150 cab and his tone is amazing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H

View Post

Ive heard they suck. But for $200 or less, they might be your thing.

You play a Madison, your opinion is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by soc_monki

View Post

the cabs are built really well. its the speakers that arent that great. get a cheap Peavey cab, load it with some quality speakers, and youre good to go.

This is more accurate. I've heard a Valveking, both a 1x12 and head with the 4x12 matching cab, replaced with Vintage 30s and a huge difference in sound/tone.

View Post

Friend of mine has the same setup on his 5150 cab and his tone is amazing.

• Members

View Post

Thanks for the input! I will just have to see what is available at my local Guitar Center as well as the pawn shops... Thanks wave.gif

Cole

• Members

View Post

Thanks for the input! I will just have to see what is available at my local Guitar Center as well as the pawn shops... Thanks wave.gif

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by midnightlaundry

View Post

No {censored}ing way. And you'll never find anything Mesa for $200.

Not unless you find an awesome forumite offing a beat up half-back vertical 2x12. redface.gif

But generally, yeah, probably not.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by midnightlaundry

View Post

No {censored}ing way. And you'll never find anything Mesa for $200.

Not unless you find an awesome forumite offing a beat up half-back vertical 2x12. redface.gif

But generally, yeah, probably not.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyace

View Post

this seems to be a sweet deal, in my area, but I have no need for a 4x12

http://lynchburg.craigslist.org/msg/3468071029.html

I have that same cab with the exception being that it's covered in tolex, and it came with Celestion G12M-70's. It's heavy MDF, but I would drag it up and down stairs when I was a 135lb teenager. If I could do it then, I can do it now. You can too.

• Members

View Post

I have that same cab with the exception being that it's covered in tolex, and it came with Celestion G12M-70's. It's heavy MDF, but I would drag it up and down stairs when I was a 135lb teenager. If I could do it then, I can do it now. You can too.

• Members

View Post

Randall use to make the XL line that I always thought would be sweet! There G3 series are supposed to be built to the same specs as the older XL, but they don't have a 2x12 version... There new RV line says that it uses a birch plywood baffle and an MDF back... I don't think I want that... If I could find one of the older 2x12 Randalls for a decent price, I would be totally interested!

Cole

• Members

View Post

Randall use to make the XL line that I always thought would be sweet! There G3 series are supposed to be built to the same specs as the older XL, but they don't have a 2x12 version... There new RV line says that it uses a birch plywood baffle and an MDF back... I don't think I want that... If I could find one of the older 2x12 Randalls for a decent price, I would be totally interested!

Cole

Archived