Home Theater: What do you have, and do you like it?

cdstrings

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have two Monitor Audio BX2s with a matching centre powered by a Yamaha RXV673.

The speakers are entry level, but are consistently reviewed as being the best in their price bracket.

Same goes for the Yamaha receiver.

You'll definitely need a sub for the low end though. I picked up Yamaha sub in a half price sale.

Only purchased and set everything up in the last month and I couldn't be happier.

Sounds amazing to me.

• Members

I have two Monitor Audio BX2s with a matching centre powered by a Yamaha RXV673.

The speakers are entry level, but are consistently reviewed as being the best in their price bracket.

Same goes for the Yamaha receiver.

You'll definitely need a sub for the low end though. I picked up Yamaha sub in a half price sale.

Only purchased and set everything up in the last month and I couldn't be happier.

Sounds amazing to me.

• Members

I have a Polk CSiA6 for center, and a pair of RTiA3's as my L/R's. It probably could use a 10" sub but I'm thinking of just getting the RTiA7's or 9's floorstanding models instead. My receiver could probably use an upgrade- it's a Yamaha RX-V663 but it works pretty well. But the video passthrough quality isn't as good as the current stuff nowadays via HDMI.

• Members

I have a Polk CSiA6 for center, and a pair of RTiA3's as my L/R's. It probably could use a 10" sub but I'm thinking of just getting the RTiA7's or 9's floorstanding models instead. My receiver could probably use an upgrade- it's a Yamaha RX-V663 but it works pretty well. But the video passthrough quality isn't as good as the current stuff nowadays via HDMI.

• Members

My main screen is this:

DSCF3721.jpg

I did it myself. The paint is called "silver screen" and the border is regular mat black paint. It's about 90 inches, and I have SONY Bravia DAV-HDX501W for sound. It was a lot of sanding/mudding/repeat to get it perfect because my walls have that sputter paint thing going on.

My seats are leather electric recliners:

DSCF3723-1.jpg

I have a PS3 hooked up to it for bluray, gaming, netflix, hulu plus etc etc.

The HD projector is a Mitsubishi HC3000.

My front room has a 52 inch plasma with JBL sub and Bose speakers and Sony receiver and Dish Network. All 3 are controlled by the logitech revue (Google TV) and in the bedroom I have another 52 inch plasma hooked up to a Roku box.

I am sports/movie mad.

• Members

My main screen is this:

DSCF3721.jpg

I did it myself. The paint is called "silver screen" and the border is regular mat black paint. It's about 90 inches, and I have SONY Bravia DAV-HDX501W for sound. It was a lot of sanding/mudding/repeat to get it perfect because my walls have that sputter paint thing going on.

My seats are leather electric recliners:

DSCF3723-1.jpg

I have a PS3 hooked up to it for bluray, gaming, netflix, hulu plus etc etc.

The HD projector is a Mitsubishi HC3000.

My front room has a 52 inch plasma with JBL sub and Bose speakers and Sony receiver and Dish Network. All 3 are controlled by the logitech revue (Google TV) and in the bedroom I have another 52 inch plasma hooked up to a Roku box.

I am sports/movie mad.

• Members

Denon 3805 ---> Quad Lite 5.1

Toshiba HD-DVD & Sony Blu ray players, Pioneer Kuro plasma.

It's old stuff now , but I see no reason to upgrade, it's bloody awesome.....for movies

imo music is not good through 5.1 system even in true bypass mode, still "harsh"

nad3020i and mission floorstanders and a project turntable ..again old stuff (well the deck is fairly new but the amp is 20 + years old) for listening pleasure smile.gif

• Members

Denon 3805 ---> Quad Lite 5.1

Toshiba HD-DVD & Sony Blu ray players, Pioneer Kuro plasma.

It's old stuff now , but I see no reason to upgrade, it's bloody awesome.....for movies

imo music is not good through 5.1 system even in true bypass mode, still "harsh"

nad3020i and mission floorstanders and a project turntable ..again old stuff (well the deck is fairly new but the amp is 20 + years old) for listening pleasure smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Naked

View Post

is there an advantage to going projector rather than TV?

Only a bigger picture. They can be a pain unless you have a dedicated movie room. They suck if you have light in the room. They can be noisy. You still need a screen to get the best out of them. The bulbs are expensive when they blow and are not covered by guarantee.

Having said that, my old setup was great. I had all the cables installed into the ceiling and walls. The blueray player was in a separate room and I could acheave a 12 ft size picture which was awesome to watch.

• Members

View Post

Only a bigger picture. They can be a pain unless you have a dedicated movie room. They suck if you have light in the room. They can be noisy. You still need a screen to get the best out of them. The bulbs are expensive when they blow and are not covered by guarantee.

Having said that, my old setup was great. I had all the cables installed into the ceiling and walls. The blueray player was in a separate room and I could acheave a 12 ft size picture which was awesome to watch.

• Members

LG 50" Plasma

Denon low end HDMI switching reciever

Dayton in-wall speakers and center channel.

Klipsch subwoofer

Pretty good bang for the buck stuff. I ran the wire for the in-wall rear surround speakers but haven't installed the speakers yet. All the wiring is inside the walls so it looks clean.

• Members

LG 50" Plasma

Denon low end HDMI switching reciever

Dayton in-wall speakers and center channel.

Klipsch subwoofer

Pretty good bang for the buck stuff. I ran the wire for the in-wall rear surround speakers but haven't installed the speakers yet. All the wiring is inside the walls so it looks clean.

• Members

View Post

We had one of those old InFocus ones growing up and yeah if there was any light in the room it kinda sucked. You need a dedicated area or somewhere you can pretty much blackout any light. Bulbs (especially back then!) were $$ but it was cool. We always took it to friends' houses to play Goldeneye on it. thumb.gif

Archived