Home Theater: What do you have, and do you like it?

cdstrings

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

Samsung soundbar 2.1 setup.

Do not like it. Worst $350 I could have spent.

I just picked up a soundbar/sub setup to replace my old receiver/2-way speakers (10" woofers). So far so good. Not necessarily "better" than the old setup but different. The sub is great for the low end, but the whole thing doesn't really have a lot of meat in the low mids. With the old system when it got really cranking you could feel the air being pushed by the speakers; it was a physical experience to listen to music at loud volumes. The soundbar/sub can't do that.

No desire for surround sound - I find it disorienting/distracting for movies/TV, and {censored}ty for music.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

Samsung soundbar 2.1 setup.

Do not like it. Worst $350 I could have spent.

I just picked up a soundbar/sub setup to replace my old receiver/2-way speakers (10" woofers). So far so good. Not necessarily "better" than the old setup but different. The sub is great for the low end, but the whole thing doesn't really have a lot of meat in the low mids. With the old system when it got really cranking you could feel the air being pushed by the speakers; it was a physical experience to listen to music at loud volumes. The soundbar/sub can't do that.

No desire for surround sound - I find it disorienting/distracting for movies/TV, and {censored}ty for music.

• Members

My stereo setup doubles as my home theater sound system; in the room I have my main setup in it is almost impossible to set up a surround sound system because of doors/openings/chimneys in every corner. I have a 55" Samsung LED, two Snell E.5 speakers being fed by Monarchy Audio class A monoblocks from an Adcom preamp. Everything but the LED is old but good. At some point I'd like to add a subwoofer or two, but I'd probably have to spend $2000-2500 to get good enough sound and SPLs to fill a room with a ceiling that goes up to 17', and it's not really a priority for me.

If I were buying an affordable surround system I would probably look at the PSB Alpha speaker system as a starting point.

• Members

My stereo setup doubles as my home theater sound system; in the room I have my main setup in it is almost impossible to set up a surround sound system because of doors/openings/chimneys in every corner. I have a 55" Samsung LED, two Snell E.5 speakers being fed by Monarchy Audio class A monoblocks from an Adcom preamp. Everything but the LED is old but good. At some point I'd like to add a subwoofer or two, but I'd probably have to spend $2000-2500 to get good enough sound and SPLs to fill a room with a ceiling that goes up to 17', and it's not really a priority for me.

If I were buying an affordable surround system I would probably look at the PSB Alpha speaker system as a starting point.

• Members

IMO good sound greatly enhances the video viewing experience. I am an advocate of putting most of your audio money into the speakers, they are the component with the most impact on quality and they will last a long time. If you can't afford a decent set, wait until you can. Surround sound is intended to have full range speakers in all positions, I can't understand why so many people settle for tiny speakers. IMO the amp/receiver is the least critical component, as long as it is adequate for the speakers.

I have a set of Tannoy speakers in the Mercury range (low end for Tannoy) from several years ago. I spend about $1K for the set of five which included a matching center speaker (just a different shape).

m2.jpg

I previously bought a Definitive sub for about $450. I compared a lot of subs before buying and this one sounded much more accurate. I have a Sony 5.1 AV receiver that is unfortunately old enough to not have HDMI, but I don't use it for routing video. It sounds fine. My Viewsonic TV is fine, nothing special, but good for the $500 I spent on it a few years ago. (prices are probably lower now) I do not recommend the $140 Samsung Blu-Ray player I use, the quality of the signal is fine, but the user interface sucks.

At a total cost of about $2K its not a high-end system, but a solid mid-level system. To maximize the quality I have a room dedicated to viewing and listening, with blacked out windows and the speakers properly located.

• Members

IMO good sound greatly enhances the video viewing experience. I am an advocate of putting most of your audio money into the speakers, they are the component with the most impact on quality and they will last a long time. If you can't afford a decent set, wait until you can. Surround sound is intended to have full range speakers in all positions, I can't understand why so many people settle for tiny speakers. IMO the amp/receiver is the least critical component, as long as it is adequate for the speakers.

I have a set of Tannoy speakers in the Mercury range (low end for Tannoy) from several years ago. I spend about $1K for the set of five which included a matching center speaker (just a different shape).

m2.jpg

I previously bought a Definitive sub for about $450. I compared a lot of subs before buying and this one sounded much more accurate. I have a Sony 5.1 AV receiver that is unfortunately old enough to not have HDMI, but I don't use it for routing video. It sounds fine. My Viewsonic TV is fine, nothing special, but good for the $500 I spent on it a few years ago. (prices are probably lower now) I do not recommend the $140 Samsung Blu-Ray player I use, the quality of the signal is fine, but the user interface sucks.

At a total cost of about $2K its not a high-end system, but a solid mid-level system. To maximize the quality I have a room dedicated to viewing and listening, with blacked out windows and the speakers properly located.

• Members

For the surround music skeptics, try watching one of these on a good system and I think you will change your mind:

Steely Dan-Two Against Nature DVD

Return to Forever: Returns - Live at Montreux [blu-ray]

Roy Orbison-Black & White Night DVD or Blu-Ray

Meat Beat Manifesto - In Dub DVD

For a good example of surround in movies the Lord of the Ring movies sounded great and used surround very effectively.

• Members

For the surround music skeptics, try watching one of these on a good system and I think you will change your mind:

For a good example of surround in movies the Lord of the Ring movies sounded great and used surround very effectively.

• Members

Tiny apartment, so not really a "home theater system", but fairly decent audio/video setup for the space.

Have an old Denon 3300 AVR that was going into a Parasound HCA 1500 amp, a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 speakers, and a 32" Sony Bravia TV. The Denon started acting a bit wonky, and I haven't got around to sending it out for repair, so I bought another low end Denon for cheap. Sadly, no preamp outs to connect up the the Parasound.

• Members

Tiny apartment, so not really a "home theater system", but fairly decent audio/video setup for the space.

Have an old Denon 3300 AVR that was going into a Parasound HCA 1500 amp, a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 speakers, and a 32" Sony Bravia TV. The Denon started acting a bit wonky, and I haven't got around to sending it out for repair, so I bought another low end Denon for cheap. Sadly, no preamp outs to connect up the the Parasound.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth

View Post

There's many concert DVD's which sound fantastic Vai at the astoria is a fine example.

But!!!!!!! thats not really what was being said. it's not scepticism, just a misunderstanding,.. I think people really mean playing any stereo track through a 5.1 even on direct and stereo mode is just not worth it, have your 5.1 and get a seperate system especially for vinyl.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth

View Post

There's many concert DVD's which sound fantastic Vai at the astoria is a fine example.

But!!!!!!! thats not really what was being said. it's not scepticism, just a misunderstanding,.. I think people really mean playing any stereo track through a 5.1 even on direct and stereo mode is just not worth it, have your 5.1 and get a seperate system especially for vinyl.

• Members

- 42" LG Plasma

The TV was a gift from my roommate's brother. It doesn't have any analog audio outputs so I can't hook it up to my stereo receiver. Up until two days ago we had a 32" Philips LCD. The picture was fantastic but it was just too small for the living room. I think this is one of LG's cheaper screens. It looks ok. Not great, but ok.

- Sony stereo receiver

I bought the sony receiver from a pawn shop for $40 because my old Denon receiver {censored} the bed. It sounds fine but has no digital inputs and no subwoofer output. I'm looking for a receiver that has a dedicated subwoofer output and a high-pass filter for the speakers.

- pair of Sharp speakers

The Sharp speakers are from an old stereo my sister gave me for Christmas like 15 years ago. I have my eye on some Klipsch or Paradigm bookshelf speakers. People keep talking {censored} about the Klipsch reference series but I think they sound fine, they've come way down in price so I'm close to buying a pair.

- Polk 10" powered sub

The Polk sub I bought on sale for $99... it actually kicks ass.

My setup isn't great but it sounds way better than all of my friends' setups. I definitely need some new furniture, though. My TV stand is just a bunch of 5/8" plywood I screwed together.

• Members

- 42" LG Plasma

The TV was a gift from my roommate's brother. It doesn't have any analog audio outputs so I can't hook it up to my stereo receiver. Up until two days ago we had a 32" Philips LCD. The picture was fantastic but it was just too small for the living room. I think this is one of LG's cheaper screens. It looks ok. Not great, but ok.

- Sony stereo receiver

I bought the sony receiver from a pawn shop for $40 because my old Denon receiver {censored} the bed. It sounds fine but has no digital inputs and no subwoofer output. I'm looking for a receiver that has a dedicated subwoofer output and a high-pass filter for the speakers.

- pair of Sharp speakers

The Sharp speakers are from an old stereo my sister gave me for Christmas like 15 years ago. I have my eye on some Klipsch or Paradigm bookshelf speakers. People keep talking {censored} about the Klipsch reference series but I think they sound fine, they've come way down in price so I'm close to buying a pair.

- Polk 10" powered sub

The Polk sub I bought on sale for $99... it actually kicks ass.

My setup isn't great but it sounds way better than all of my friends' setups. I definitely need some new furniture, though. My TV stand is just a bunch of 5/8" plywood I screwed together.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRotary13b

View Post

Thanks.. I actually just got a PS1 too.. I'm waiting on my mod chip to come in so I can have some real fun with it.

is it a big box one? use it as a cd player wink.gif

46 inch sony kdf series (still works great come at me bro)

pioneer vsk1121 love.gif

jbl es100 towers

homebuilt center

cheap ass dayton audio rear speakers (cats knock em over so ill dgaf and have some 30$ a pair {censored}ers)

4 SI 18s on the way

crown drivecore 2500

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRotary13b

View Post

Thanks.. I actually just got a PS1 too.. I'm waiting on my mod chip to come in so I can have some real fun with it.

is it a big box one? use it as a cd player wink.gif

46 inch sony kdf series (still works great come at me bro)

pioneer vsk1121 love.gif

jbl es100 towers

homebuilt center

cheap ass dayton audio rear speakers (cats knock em over so ill dgaf and have some 30$ a pair {censored}ers)

4 SI 18s on the way

crown drivecore 2500

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers

View Post

Don't skimp. I was on this journey about a year ago and quickly found the difference between your price range and $1200. It's a slippery slope though.

I ended up with a marantz receiver and definitive speaker setup.

You're not kidding about the slippery slope. my basement system;

049-1.jpg

Archived