Home Theater: What do you have, and do you like it?

cdstrings

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Naked

View Post

is there an advantage to going projector rather than TV?

We had one of those old InFocus ones growing up and yeah if there was any light in the room it kinda sucked. You need a dedicated area or somewhere you can pretty much blackout any light. Bulbs (especially back then!) were $$ but it was cool. We always took it to friends' houses to play Goldeneye on it. thumb.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Oops-A-Paisley

View Post

Denon 3805 ---> Quad Lite 5.1

Toshiba HD-DVD & Sony Blu ray players, Pioneer Kuro plasma.

It's old stuff now , but I see no reason to upgrade, it's bloody awesome.....for movies

imo music is not good through 5.1 system even in true bypass mode, still "harsh"

nad3020i and mission floorstanders and a project turntable ..again old stuff (well the deck is fairly new but the amp is 20 + years old) for listening pleasure smile.gif

yeah i'm kinda onboard with this- if i get some new floorstanding speaks i'm just going to put my current ones in my bedroom and get a decent amp or whatnot to run them with. i finally got rid of the TV in my bedroom so i'd like to have something other than my clock radio in there icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

Denon 3805 ---> Quad Lite 5.1

Toshiba HD-DVD & Sony Blu ray players, Pioneer Kuro plasma.

It's old stuff now , but I see no reason to upgrade, it's bloody awesome.....for movies

imo music is not good through 5.1 system even in true bypass mode, still "harsh"

nad3020i and mission floorstanders and a project turntable ..again old stuff (well the deck is fairly new but the amp is 20 + years old) for listening pleasure smile.gif

yeah i'm kinda onboard with this- if i get some new floorstanding speaks i'm just going to put my current ones in my bedroom and get a decent amp or whatnot to run them with. i finally got rid of the TV in my bedroom so i'd like to have something other than my clock radio in there icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RSBro

View Post

and get some vinyl and a deck man poke.gif you'll think you've been reborn in heaven smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RSBro

View Post

and get some vinyl and a deck man poke.gif you'll think you've been reborn in heaven smile.gif

• Members

Lol, I have a big fat ass (non flat) Sony 32" HD TV, a Sony 7.1 receiver, and Kenwood speakers from an old Kenwood 5.1 system that I bought in 1999 for like $500.00.

For what I do, I still like it. I RARELY get to watch movies, and even if so, it's without much volume, so, I don't need a lot.

My keyboard player is about to give me his old 51" Plasma TV, so, I'm excited about that.

• Members

Lol, I have a big fat ass (non flat) Sony 32" HD TV, a Sony 7.1 receiver, and Kenwood speakers from an old Kenwood 5.1 system that I bought in 1999 for like $500.00.

For what I do, I still like it. I RARELY get to watch movies, and even if so, it's without much volume, so, I don't need a lot.

My keyboard player is about to give me his old 51" Plasma TV, so, I'm excited about that.

• Members

View Post

my drumtard got a pretty slick LP deck from his gal that i helped pick out for christmas. he loves it.

• Members

View Post

my drumtard got a pretty slick LP deck from his gal that i helped pick out for christmas. he loves it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Anomaly

View Post

lol i had that same Kenwood "HTIAB" setup too icon_lol.gif those speaks were so nasty sounding and i blew out a few of them IIRC.

• Members

View Post

lol i had that same Kenwood "HTIAB" setup too icon_lol.gif those speaks were so nasty sounding and i blew out a few of them IIRC.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.novak

View Post

Only a bigger picture. They can be a pain unless you have a dedicated movie room. They suck if you have light in the room. They can be noisy. You still need a screen to get the best out of them. The bulbs are expensive when they blow and are not covered by guarantee.

We recently tried a new traditional projector and a LED one side by side. The regular one had better colors but with calibration the LED would probably be pretty close. The downside is that good LED projectors are still rather expensive.

Me, I just rely on my 50" Panasonic plasma. For audio I have a midrange Denon receiver and a pair of Magnat Quantum 503 speakers (inexpensive but really nice sounding) and a BK Electronic XLS200 subwoofer.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.novak

View Post

Only a bigger picture. They can be a pain unless you have a dedicated movie room. They suck if you have light in the room. They can be noisy. You still need a screen to get the best out of them. The bulbs are expensive when they blow and are not covered by guarantee.

We recently tried a new traditional projector and a LED one side by side. The regular one had better colors but with calibration the LED would probably be pretty close. The downside is that good LED projectors are still rather expensive.

Me, I just rely on my 50" Panasonic plasma. For audio I have a midrange Denon receiver and a pair of Magnat Quantum 503 speakers (inexpensive but really nice sounding) and a BK Electronic XLS200 subwoofer.

• Members

View Post

Lol, what is HTIAB?

My jaunt was a floor model from Circuit City icon_lol.gif

HomeTheaterInABox (usually referred to as/pronounced H-TIB) = receiver, sub, satellite speakers, maybe DVD player. Typically just an entry level setup that has everything you need to get surround on the cheap without worrying about what components to buy. Some aren't bad at all.

• Members

View Post

Lol, what is HTIAB?

My jaunt was a floor model from Circuit City icon_lol.gif

HomeTheaterInABox (usually referred to as/pronounced H-TIB) = receiver, sub, satellite speakers, maybe DVD player. Typically just an entry level setup that has everything you need to get surround on the cheap without worrying about what components to buy. Some aren't bad at all.

Archived