Dream Theater: What do you have, and do you like it?

BerkleeBill

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by tech21man

View Post

You recomending SDOIT isn't really encouraging either. It is a {censored} album.

By whose standard? Disc 2 is in the same vein as SFAM. This alone makes it a great effort, if not their last great release. Disc 1 isn't "{censored}" either. Anything on it still destroys FII.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tech21man

View Post

You recomending SDOIT isn't really encouraging either. It is a {censored} album.

By whose standard? Disc 2 is in the same vein as SFAM. This alone makes it a great effort, if not their last great release. Disc 1 isn't "{censored}" either. Anything on it still destroys FII.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phrophus View Post
Brah, pv_impact and I have been boys for 10-15 years. We tend to know a lot about what types of music the other may like, so yeah, I am in a position to recommend an album to him.

I don't know what the hell your beef is, either. I recommended an album to a friend of mine, and you got all pissy because it's not the album you'd recommend to him. Take a minute and catch your head, fella.

Comin' in here with your dick swinging lookin' for a fight or some {censored} cuz I don't like the same albums you do. Gat damn, son. Pathetic.
I got no beef. Had no way of knowing you guys were boys, fair enough.

I'm not looking for a fight, it's just a weird album to recommend for DT considering most fans consider it their weakest release.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phrophus View Post
Brah, pv_impact and I have been boys for 10-15 years. We tend to know a lot about what types of music the other may like, so yeah, I am in a position to recommend an album to him.

I don't know what the hell your beef is, either. I recommended an album to a friend of mine, and you got all pissy because it's not the album you'd recommend to him. Take a minute and catch your head, fella.

Comin' in here with your dick swinging lookin' for a fight or some {censored} cuz I don't like the same albums you do. Gat damn, son. Pathetic.
I got no beef. Had no way of knowing you guys were boys, fair enough.

I'm not looking for a fight, it's just a weird album to recommend for DT considering most fans consider it their weakest release.

• Members

I don't have When Dream and Day Unite or Six Degrees (Or any of the live albums, aside from Budokan on DVD.) I love everything except Black Clouds and Systematic Chaos...and the latter probably only because I've had it for a short time and haven't given it a full, undivided listen. I'd rank Train of Thought a little (but not much) lower than the others that I "love"...any given day, any one of the others might be my "favorite".

• Members

I don't have When Dream and Day Unite or Six Degrees (Or any of the live albums, aside from Budokan on DVD.) I love everything except Black Clouds and Systematic Chaos...and the latter probably only because I've had it for a short time and haven't given it a full, undivided listen. I'd rank Train of Thought a little (but not much) lower than the others that I "love"...any given day, any one of the others might be my "favorite".

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by leftyaxeman View Post
cant stand Rudess, I really liked Derek Sherinian & Kevin Moore tons better
Me too. Sherinian is awesome! Rudess has some serious abilities, but his playing is just so...annoying. I don't know what it is exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV View Post
Strangely, for me it's actually the vapid lyrical content that eventually completely turned me off starting with Scenes from a Memory.
You can thank Mike Portnoy for that too. He wrote the majority of the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by beno View Post
This is how you show you're not a true DT fan. FII is their worst (and least DT-sounding) album. It is the most disliked album generally
I like FII quite a bit. I would call myself a "true" fan of theirs as well, despite the fact that I don't like most of their newer material. Tell me that Hell's Kitchen and Lines In The Sand aren't awesome. Trial of Tears is epic...especially the version on Once in a Live Time.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by leftyaxeman View Post
cant stand Rudess, I really liked Derek Sherinian & Kevin Moore tons better
Me too. Sherinian is awesome! Rudess has some serious abilities, but his playing is just so...annoying. I don't know what it is exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV View Post
Strangely, for me it's actually the vapid lyrical content that eventually completely turned me off starting with Scenes from a Memory.
You can thank Mike Portnoy for that too. He wrote the majority of the lyrics.

This is how you show you're not a true DT fan. FII is their worst (and least DT-sounding) album. It is the most disliked album generally
I like FII quite a bit. I would call myself a "true" fan of theirs as well, despite the fact that I don't like most of their newer material. Tell me that Hell's Kitchen and Lines In The Sand aren't awesome. Trial of Tears is epic...especially the version on Once in a Live Time.

• Members
Funny, you seem like an even bigger asshole than any DT fan I've ever met. Then again, you have met ALL of them, so I supose you would know best rolleyes.gif

Way to stereotype all DT fans #fail facepalm.gif

The only thing you wrote that has any semblance of truth is your criticism of LaBrie...which is still irrelevant b/c even with all that the guy has managed to find success.

How do you define success? The last time Dream Theater had anything resembling a hit, Kris Kross topped the charts.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Caulk Rocket View Post
How do you define success? The last time Dream Theater had anything resembling a hit, Kris Kross topped the charts.
Umm, definitely not by whether you have a hit on the charts. By that definition the majority of incredibly talented bands out there wouldn't be successful.

I define it by a career spanning almost 30 years in which million of albums have been sold.

Heck, in reality any musician that is able to put food on the table and a roof over his/her head as a direct result of playing an instrument is successful in my book.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Caulk Rocket View Post
Umm, definitely not by whether you have a hit on the charts. By that definition the majority of incredibly talented bands out there wouldn't be successful.

I define it by a career spanning almost 30 years in which million of albums have been sold.

Heck, in reality any musician that is able to put food on the table and a roof over his/her head as a direct result of playing an instrument is successful in my book.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod0dmw

View Post

Interesting. I certainly don't hate those tracks (there's isolated tracks on all albums that I dislike much more), but that whole album just lacks that certain over-the-top quality that to me makes DT, well...DT. There is a definite vibe and sound to that album like it was produced in a way that robbed them of creative input, and forced them to mould themselves to sound MUCH more commercial and radio friendly.

Archived