Dream Theater: What do you have, and do you like it?

BerkleeBill

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Valtiel View Post
I also agree with guitargod about outside influence in production, although I would go further than 'it would have been nice". Based on what i've read, Falling into Infinity had the most outside influence on the production process and I think has some of their strongest songs, but Portnoy has stated that he hated it, hence why he and Petrucci have been at the helm ever since. IMO you can't have creative processes held hostage by one or two people in the band, people only have so much creative energy. Whenever a band seems to drift off into "wtf are they thinking" territory it always seems to be because there is one or two people controlling everything and they've gotten bored/done too many drugs/listened to their wives too much. Case in point; Queensryche. icon_lol.gif
As an occasional fan I like Awake, A Change of Seasons and Falling into Infinity, as agreed with Valtiel. I'm surprised how they can't appreciate the outsider producers. Maybe they stopped going to the Berklee before this relevant study material was presented. smile.gif
I've seen them twice, great shows. The new drummer is a real progress, hopefully he will contribute more.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Valtiel View Post
I also agree with guitargod about outside influence in production, although I would go further than 'it would have been nice". Based on what i've read, Falling into Infinity had the most outside influence on the production process and I think has some of their strongest songs, but Portnoy has stated that he hated it, hence why he and Petrucci have been at the helm ever since. IMO you can't have creative processes held hostage by one or two people in the band, people only have so much creative energy. Whenever a band seems to drift off into "wtf are they thinking" territory it always seems to be because there is one or two people controlling everything and they've gotten bored/done too many drugs/listened to their wives too much. Case in point; Queensryche. icon_lol.gif
As an occasional fan I like Awake, A Change of Seasons and Falling into Infinity, as agreed with Valtiel. I'm surprised how they can't appreciate the outsider producers. Maybe they stopped going to the Berklee before this relevant study material was presented. smile.gif
I've seen them twice, great shows. The new drummer is a real progress, hopefully he will contribute more.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact View Post
+1

Though I must admit I've never really gave them a chance either. Just listened to that song Filter500 posted; that was actually {censored}ing badass
Check out Falling Into Infinity, brah. To me, it lacks some of their most self-indulgent moments and has some odd songs on it. Plus, Lines in the Sand features ole Dug on it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact View Post
+1

Though I must admit I've never really gave them a chance either. Just listened to that song Filter500 posted; that was actually {censored}ing badass
Check out Falling Into Infinity, brah. To me, it lacks some of their most self-indulgent moments and has some odd songs on it. Plus, Lines in the Sand features ole Dug on it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by beno

View Post

Interesting, if rather false, observation. Most DT fans I come across are generally intellectual people. Never met a DT fan who I could truly classify as stupid, dumb, or an idiot. Unless you're using that term to refer to the level of fanboyism displayed, in which case, I can understand. People tend to LOVE them, or hate them; not much middle ground.

It was meant to be a sarcastic comment. I will utilize the winky emoticon next time to reinforce the intent.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by beno

View Post

Interesting, if rather false, observation. Most DT fans I come across are generally intellectual people. Never met a DT fan who I could truly classify as stupid, dumb, or an idiot. Unless you're using that term to refer to the level of fanboyism displayed, in which case, I can understand. People tend to LOVE them, or hate them; not much middle ground.

It was meant to be a sarcastic comment. I will utilize the winky emoticon next time to reinforce the intent.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phrophus View Post
This is how you show you're not a true DT fan. FII is their worst (and least DT-sounding) album. It is the most disliked album generally, and it almost led to the band breaking up b/c this album is a complete result of a record label telling them what to do and limiting and restricting their creativity. Some songs are ok, I suppose. But my issue with it lies with a combination of weaksauce material, and the principle alone that "the man" forced them to do something they didn't want to do.

PS peavey_impact, check out Scenes From a Memory, or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

• Members
This is how you show you're not a true DT fan. FII is their worst (and least DT-sounding) album. It is the most disliked album generally, and it almost led to the band breaking up b/c this album is a complete result of a record label telling them what to do and limiting and restricting their creativity. Some songs are ok, I suppose. But my issue with it lies with a combination of weaksauce material, and the principle alone that "the man" forced them to do something they didn't want to do.

PS peavey_impact, check out Scenes From a Memory, or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by beno View Post

I'm not even a pretend DT fan and never claimed to be. Better tuck away your fanboi boner, too.

• Members

I'm not even a pretend DT fan and never claimed to be. Better tuck away your fanboi boner, too.

• Members
Not really in much of a position to be recommending DT material now then, are we?

Love how being a dedicated and knowledgeable fan makes me a "fanboi" with a "boner".

• Members
Not really in much of a position to be recommending DT material now then, are we?

Love how being a dedicated and knowledgeable fan makes me a "fanboi" with a "boner".

• Members

• Members

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Caulk Rocket View Post
Dream Theater fans are the biggest assholes ever. Imagine Thom Yorke breeding with a Tool fan, and the result is a perfect clone of every Dream Theater fanboi.

Not to mention, LaBrie is this generation's shrieking mancunt.
Funny, you seem like an even bigger asshole than any DT fan I've ever met. Then again, you have met ALL of them, so I supose you would know best rolleyes.gif

Way to stereotype all DT fans #fail facepalm.gif

The only thing you wrote that has any semblance of truth is your criticism of LaBrie...which is still irrelevant b/c even with all that the guy has managed to find success.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Caulk Rocket View Post
Dream Theater fans are the biggest assholes ever. Imagine Thom Yorke breeding with a Tool fan, and the result is a perfect clone of every Dream Theater fanboi.

Not to mention, LaBrie is this generation's shrieking mancunt.
Funny, you seem like an even bigger asshole than any DT fan I've ever met. Then again, you have met ALL of them, so I supose you would know best rolleyes.gif

Way to stereotype all DT fans #fail facepalm.gif

The only thing you wrote that has any semblance of truth is your criticism of LaBrie...which is still irrelevant b/c even with all that the guy has managed to find success.

• Members

Brah, pv_impact and I have been boys for 10-15 years. We tend to know a lot about what types of music the other may like, so yeah, I am in a position to recommend an album to him.

I don't know what the hell your beef is, either. I recommended an album to a friend of mine, and you got all pissy because it's not the album you'd recommend to him. Take a minute and catch your head, fella.

Comin' in here with your dick swinging lookin' for a fight or some {censored} cuz I don't like the same albums you do. Gat damn, son. Pathetic.

• Members

Brah, pv_impact and I have been boys for 10-15 years. We tend to know a lot about what types of music the other may like, so yeah, I am in a position to recommend an album to him.

I don't know what the hell your beef is, either. I recommended an album to a friend of mine, and you got all pissy because it's not the album you'd recommend to him. Take a minute and catch your head, fella.

Comin' in here with your dick swinging lookin' for a fight or some {censored} cuz I don't like the same albums you do. Gat damn, son. Pathetic.

Archived