Dream Theater: What do you have, and do you like it?

BerkleeBill

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by beno View Post
Interesting. I certainly don't hate those tracks (there's isolated tracks on all albums that I dislike much more), but that whole album just lacks that certain over-the-top quality that to me makes DT, well...DT. There is a definite vibe and sound to that album like it was produced in a way that robbed them of creative input, and forced them to mould themselves to sound MUCH more commercial and radio friendly.
The lacking of the over the top qualities that's usually on DT albums is what makes FII stand out for me. I know what those dudes are capable of, but it's nice to take those technical flourishes away (to a degree anyway) and see what you have. Without all the razzle dazzle, do you still have a good song?

I also have Awake, Scenes from a Memory and A Dramatic Turn of Events. There are songs that I like on both of the earlier ones, especially Awake. I really haven't listened to the new one all that much and got that one just because of Mike Mangini. I absolutely hate the lyrics on Scenes from a Memory to the point where they actually distract me from what might be an otherwise good song. I also dislike Jordan Rudess quite a bit and much prefer Derek Sherinian (sp?) and Kevin Moore.

I also think that I subconsciously still have a grudge against Labrie. I saw them live for the Metropolis tour, made the mistake of standing too near the PA, and now even the thought of hearing Labrie shrieking makes my ears start ringing and my head want to explode.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ha ha Labrie the exploder!!!

Dream theater's music is full of everything at points...If you include LTE in their catalog, I just love hourglass for example and is not by definition a DT song. Doesn't even have distortion.

They did flat out a bit with Rudess. At first I was "Wow the dude is awesome, much like a guitar player on keyboards!".

Then I was "Wow the dude sucks, much like a guitar player on keyboards..."

Bring in a second damn guitar player then...Moore's and Sherinian's stuff where I think a lot better for the band.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPOA View Post
I think everything they have done from the first album up to and including Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is good. Anything after that is hit or miss, but there's at least a few good tracks on each of those albums. I personally don't mind LaBrie's voice for the most part, but I do get a chuckle when he does the gritty, shouted vocals. He sounds like he's yelling at his kids when he does them. icon_lol.gif

This song rules hard. It's even got his angry dad vocals around the 8 minute mark! icon_lol.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSX86zPnUkY
I'm a dad, and occasionally, I am angry; but I can never seem to combine the two when I go to sing smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundgardener75

View Post

I've only owned Awake because I thought it was an amazing album. The only reason I can't get myself to buy the other albums is simply because of James LaBrie's voice.

This just about sums it up.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phrophus View Post
The lacking of the over the top qualities that's usually on DT albums is what makes FII stand out for me. I know what those dudes are capable of, but it's nice to take those technical flourishes away (to a degree anyway) and see what you have. Without all the razzle dazzle, do you still have a good song?

I also have Awake, Scenes from a Memory and A Dramatic Turn of Events. There are songs that I like on both of the earlier ones, especially Awake. I really haven't listened to the new one all that much and got that one just because of Mike Mangini. I absolutely hate the lyrics on Scenes from a Memory to the point where they actually distract me from what might be an otherwise good song. I also dislike Jordan Rudess quite a bit and much prefer Derek Sherinian (sp?) and Kevin Moore.

I also think that I subconsciously still have a grudge against Labrie. I saw them live for the Metropolis tour, made the mistake of standing too near the PA, and now even the thought of hearing Labrie shrieking makes my ears start ringing and my head want to explode.
lol well taken sir. Good post.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tech21man View Post
Ha ha Labrie the exploder!!!

Dream theater's music is full of everything at points...If you include LTE in their catalog, I just love hourglass for example and is not by definition a DT song. Doesn't even have distortion.

They did flat out a bit with Rudess. At first I was "Wow the dude is awesome, much like a guitar player on keyboards!".

Then I was "Wow the dude sucks, much like a guitar player on keyboards..."

Bring in a second damn guitar player then...Moore's and Sherinian's stuff where I think a lot better for the band.
+1 about the Rudess thing. It's time he held back and focused on ambiance instead of being a 2nd guitarist.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 8 Foot Manchild View Post
They are superb instrumentalists, but their songwriting does nothing for me.

Also, I'd rather {censored} an anthill with a tablespoon of honey on my balls than listen to James LaBrie.
The songs suffered a lot after Kevin Moore left.
He was the one bringing both the darkness and the light to their songs. It wasn't obvious until he was gone, though smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by beno View Post
Umm, definitely not by whether you have a hit on the charts. By that definition the majority of incredibly talented bands out there wouldn't be successful.

I define it by a career spanning almost 30 years in which million of albums have been sold.

Heck, in reality any musician that is able to put food on the table and a roof over his/her head as a direct result of playing an instrument is successful in my book.

Fair enough.

LaBrie is still a shrieking mancunt.

Archived