OT: This forum has been nearly unusable for 2 days now...

KCTigerChief

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Axe_34

View Post

This sounds dangerously like they are going to a new format... facepalm.gif If they are getting rid of vbulletin for a custom made version again, expect a mass exodus to occur.

IF they are just migrating to a new server, then HOORAY, this is what should have happened years ago.

• Members

View Post

This sounds dangerously like they are going to a new format... facepalm.gif If they are getting rid of vbulletin for a custom made version again, expect a mass exodus to occur.

IF they are just migrating to a new server, then HOORAY, this is what should have happened years ago.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

New platform says new software to me. And yeah, they ain't bright enough to take something off-the-shelf and proven. They'll want custom rolled. I really don't like that wording, "shows tremendous promise." How about something that shows it can work? Have we considered that possibility?

I'll give it a shot whenever it rolls, but I'm not exactly holding my breath in anticipation.

• Members

View Post

New platform says new software to me. And yeah, they ain't bright enough to take something off-the-shelf and proven. They'll want custom rolled. I really don't like that wording, "shows tremendous promise." How about something that shows it can work? Have we considered that possibility?

I'll give it a shot whenever it rolls, but I'm not exactly holding my breath in anticipation.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nightflameauto

View Post

Were you here in a different capacity prior to your join date? If not, you missed the first run they had with this thing...

They hired Jive to develop an entirely new system, and it. was. horrible. Absolutely disgustingly bad. I'd venture to guess around 75% of this place left...and when they realized all the traffic they were losing, they gave us this vbulletin back.

If they are trying again, I hope they learned from the first abomination...

• Members

View Post

Were you here in a different capacity prior to your join date? If not, you missed the first run they had with this thing...

They hired Jive to develop an entirely new system, and it. was. horrible. Absolutely disgustingly bad. I'd venture to guess around 75% of this place left...and when they realized all the traffic they were losing, they gave us this vbulletin back.

• Members

View Post

I was lurking then. I witnessed most of it, and was shocked ANYONE thought it was gonna function at all. Those first couple weeks of, "just give it a chance, it'll get better," followed by the mass exodus was less than amusing from the outside. And no matter how few people were around, it still wasn't running worth a crap.

I can't imagine they learned their lesson. If they had they would have concentrated on getting canned software to run worth a crap before scrapping it for yet another custom system that shows "tremendous promise."

• Members

View Post

I was lurking then. I witnessed most of it, and was shocked ANYONE thought it was gonna function at all. Those first couple weeks of, "just give it a chance, it'll get better," followed by the mass exodus was less than amusing from the outside. And no matter how few people were around, it still wasn't running worth a crap.

I can't imagine they learned their lesson. If they had they would have concentrated on getting canned software to run worth a crap before scrapping it for yet another custom system that shows "tremendous promise."

• Members

View Post

The problem with this theory is the fact they did the jive 2.0 debacle. A clear indicator they aren't afraid of throwing huge amounts of money at the problem.

I think Jive was a terribly misguided effort at improved monetization. It was their one shot, they messed it up bad, it cost a lot of money, and now HC is on the back burner permanently. That's my take.

• Members

View Post

The problem with this theory is the fact they did the jive 2.0 debacle. A clear indicator they aren't afraid of throwing huge amounts of money at the problem.

I think Jive was a terribly misguided effort at improved monetization. It was their one shot, they messed it up bad, it cost a lot of money, and now HC is on the back burner permanently. That's my take.

• Members

View Post

Oh. My. {censored}ing. God.

They are actually pulling this {censored} again? Anderton needs to be fired. Hopefully this will be the flop that will finally take care of that. I cannot believe he's saying he's "nervous". That right there is the hallmark of a project manager that does not have his {censored} together. There are ways to migrate without nervousness, worry or disaster. Companies do it all the time.

BTW - what is with this {censored} about losing posts while they migrate? Are they actually bridging the MySQL database by HAND??? I honestly believe they are. Any coder worth a damn could write a bridging script that would dump the current tables into the new database format in a matter of minutes. Therefore no lost data. It looks like they're taking a dump of the database at some point and hand bridging everything to the new format. Mind boggling. And you wonder why this forum has so many problems?

• Members

View Post

They are actually pulling this {censored} again? Anderton needs to be fired. Hopefully this will be the flop that will finally take care of that. I cannot believe he's saying he's "nervous". That right there is the hallmark of a project manager that does not have his {censored} together. There are ways to migrate without nervousness, worry or disaster. Companies do it all the time.

BTW - what is with this {censored} about losing posts while they migrate? Are they actually bridging the MySQL database by HAND??? I honestly believe they are. Any coder worth a damn could write a bridging script that would dump the current tables into the new database format in a matter of minutes. Therefore no lost data. It looks like they're taking a dump of the database at some point and hand bridging everything to the new format. Mind boggling. And you wonder why this forum has so many problems?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

You nailed it. How they are going about this is elementary by developer standards. I wonder if they have "Desktop Support" guys doing the migration...Because that is the only explanation for the way they are doing it.

If they are actually going to new software, I can't believe they are trying it again...If the last time didn't work, let's just do it again. My question has always been, why not just fix THIS forum. People like vBulletin...it just works...somehow harmony central has even {censored}ed that up.

As for Anderton, I don't know that he's the actual project manager, or if he's just the face that we get to see. The fact he's saying he's nervous is definitely a red flag for "go live"...He's a user, let him make the call when he's comfortable with the test system. Unreal.

Archived